Deja Vu? WP 8 devices not upgradable to windows 8.1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone 8.0 smartphones may not be upgradeable to 8.1 - Computerworld

Read article, after the whole wp7 to wp8 debacle, i Hope MS would of learned their lesson this time around after numerous times saying that with the new kernal, all phones could update to new versions of the OS (assuming carriers allow it of course). Now this is all rumor and speculation at this point, but could it be possible again? Im guessing it will be, but i do find the piece in the article regarding nokia's comment changing from yes it will be upgrade to 8.1 specifically and then changed to a very general wp8 will be upgradable.

Now this could easily mean, they dont have a name for the new update, so maybe nokia shouldn't have said 8.1, or maybe it wont be updatable to 8.1, but there would be another 7.8 type os update?

who knows, interesting article, but i'd like to think MS would of learned their lesson and all current wp8 models will get the blue or 8.1 or whatever its called update.

If it isn't upgradable to 8.1 or blue, im probably out and getting an iPHone.

FLAME ON!

PxuLL

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
You obviously didn't read the WHOLE article:

"We don't comment on future products, but Microsoft has confirmed that smartphones running Windows Phone 8 will be upgradeable to Windows Phone 8.1."

Two hours later, she corrected the first statement to say only that "Microsoft has confirmed that smartphones running Windows Phone 8 will be upgradeable."

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
You obviously didn't read the WHOLE article:

"We don't comment on future products, but Microsoft has confirmed that smartphones running Windows Phone 8 will be upgradeable to Windows Phone 8.1."

Two hours later, she corrected the first statement to say only that "Microsoft has confirmed that smartphones running Windows Phone 8 will be upgradeable."

I did read the WHOLE article, in my original post, that is exactly what i was referring to and the basis for this article.

one of the reasons this article was written is because of those two quotes. At first, it was initially said Microsoft confirmed all wp8 devices will be upgraded to windows phone "8.1" <----- very specific

Couple hours later it was changed to be more general and vague. They went out of their way to correct to make it more general and vague.

Lets apply this and got back to the wp7 days.

Lets say we use the same quote and say all wp7 devices are upgradable to windows phone 8 upgrade and then correct it to all wp7 phone devices will be upgradable.

So what does the vagueness do? it allows MS or in this case Nokia to promise something and not promise something at the same time. Remember the whole thing about whether wp7 would be upgradable to wp8 and people thought there is no way MS would not allow this? well guess what, the wp7 devices were upgradable, but the upgrade was 7.8 and not 8. I think this is the point.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
There is no way a WP 8.0 device can upgrade to windows 8.1. That's what RT is for :)

Sent from my RM-820_nam_canada_246 using Tapatalk

raccoon210

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
There's no way MS would be so stupid as to do this again. all their momentum would be gone and all these customers would just say screw them and switch

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
So, a few days after official numbers show growth in Windows Phone, this is published. Nothing shady about it at all.

I'm not even going to bother to explain why this is bull****. Let those who don't have a half a brain believe it.

Although I do think that Microsoft should come out and give an official response. Stop the speculation before it spreads. Would be nice for WPCentral to use this article as an excuse to squeeze out an official response from them.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Delete this thread. that article is specious and beyond rumor, it is flat out made up ****. that hack quotes an unnamed exec who expects OEM windows ce devices to be upgraded to windows phone 8.1 anything with two brain cells to rub together know that is impossible and ridiculous to even consider.

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
What kind of forum would delete a thread just because is talking about an article someone doesn't like?
That article could say something true of false, but it exists. So, it should be allowed to be talked about.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
So, a few days after official numbers show growth in Windows Phone, this is published. Nothing shady about it at all.

I'm not even going to bother to explain why this is bull****. Let those who don't have a half a brain believe it.

Although I do think that Microsoft should come out and give an official response. Stop the speculation before it spreads. Would be nice for WPCentral to use this article as an excuse to squeeze out an official response from them.

This is why chatter like this happens, seems MS doesnt want to give an official statement and just put all the rumor and speculation to rest. I thinkt hey got enough speculation going on with the whole xbone debacle and win8, would think they would keep things smooth with wp8. We all think logically that this wont happen again, no way MS would be that dumb right? Well, we wont know until we get there.

if MS was so adamant that the OS will be upgradable to future OS for years to come, they should specifically state it, yet they dont. I also understand corporations need to generalize things because so many people can interpret things so many ways and cause an massive uproar on commitments they thought MS has made.

Does this sound all too familiar? I personally thought wp7 would not be upgradable to 8 yet people believed MS wouldnt be that stupid, then we got 7.8.

This time around, i think wp8 devices will be upgradable to 8.1, but nothing like speculation and rumors to get people riled up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon