Metro browser with AdBlock Plus

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know if one exists? Chrome doesn't have proper touch controls, while Firefox in Metro doesnt appear to support add-ons.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
An alternative to Adblock Plus, is to use the in tracking protection that is in the Desktop version of IE, it will carry over to the Metro IE. Go to; Internet Explorer Gallery select the ones you want (I recommend Easylist and EasyPrivacy) then restart IE (both desktop and metro) and you do get some ad blocking. It's not as great as Adblock Plus, but it's better than nothing

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
An alternative to Adblock Plus, is to use the in tracking protection that is in the Desktop version of IE, it will carry over to the Metro IE. Go to; Internet Explorer Gallery select the ones you want (I recommend Easylist and EasyPrivacy) then restart IE (both desktop and metro) and you do get some ad blocking. It's not as great as Adblock Plus, but it's better than nothing

I consider that a total failure. Doesn't even come close unfortunately.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I consider that a total failure. Doesn't even come close unfortunately.

It really isn't a "total failure". I've been using it for at least a year. Yes I love the ABP + NoScript combination on Firefox, but adding a TPL list works very well in IE.

Really it's quite easy. You just click on "Add TPL" from a site such as this: https://www.******.co.nz/ie.html

There are other sites as well. Additionally, it's the same list that the majority of ABP/Firefox users use that gets updated regularly. It's a no brainer if you prefer to use IE.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I've been using it on my surface for a while and works great. You are correct.

Does it block on the Metro side though? I have tried that suggestion before without much luck. BTW, AdBlock Plus does have an official product for desktop IE now.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Yep. Metro was just about unusable for me on this site until I installed the add on. Now I can kick back with the tablet at night instead of my laptop. Though easy privacy was giving me problems on ESPN, so I scaled it back to easy list and everything is fine.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Yep. Metro was just about unusable for me on this site until I installed the add on. Now I can kick back with the tablet at night instead of my laptop. Though easy privacy was giving me problems on ESPN, so I scaled it back to easy list and everything is fine.

Maybe I will give it another go...

lukemholl

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site

Being new to Windows 8/Surface I didn't know you could do this. Works a treat, thanks! :)

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Being new to Windows 8/Surface I didn't know you could do this. Works a treat, thanks! :)

Oddly enough, this has been in IE for quite awhile now. I think it showed up first in IE 9 (but don't quote me on this, just not sure. I'm still a Firefox guy for my main browser).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos