Nokia becomes the 4th largest Smartphone Brand in USA

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Sales have seemed to have just exploded over in the US, good thing for Nokia.

It will be interesting to see the what next quarterly results will be.

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
When I first heard this I was extremely shocked. It made me very happy :D Hopefully the Microsoft purchase will push them ahead of LG and balance out the market. Something like 25% Samsung, Apple, and Nokia (well, Microsoft) and 25% others. That would be ideal Imo (and probably just a dream :p). Actually, I'd rather see HTC ahead of Samsung. I hope HTC doesn't die :(

Also I think that the only reason LG is ahead of Nokia is because they are the manufacturers of the Google Nexus 4. And with the Nexus 5 being released soon, they will probably see even more growth.

luk3ja

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Impossible if the buyout occurs. The purchase is set to happen Q1/2014 and the Nokia name will be gone forever unless Nokia decides to start making devices again in 2016.

MS really needs to keep the momentum going which I think they can do. Nokia did make the hardware but the most important part of that relationship was marketing the Lumia name which has become synonymous with Windows Phone. Since MS can't use the Nokia name, they need to keep the Lumia brand alive because changing it to anything else would be disastrous for them at this stage.

The problem is, will people still buy the Lumia brand of devices without the Nokia badge??

Nokia was open to Microsoft using their brand on the future smartphones but Microsoft decided against it, stupid decision!

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Ah yes.... just enough nay sayers to be ticked the Golden Goose layed her first Gold Egg, but it was too small, waited too long, and just wasn't shiny enough. :smile:

No, this is not reason for those of us who enjoy WP to throw a party, but I will anyways because I like parties.

How things develop after Nokia is part of MS is silly to debate until after it actually happens and we see what the priorities of the new MS CEO are. Until then I do not care if it is the 520/521 sales, the 92X, 82X, or the 1020, I am glad the .00001% sales of Nokia in the US have grown to over 4% based entirely on WP devices. That makes me happy.

Party at Mutts place... I prefer pretzels over cheese balls if you were to bring snacks.

wonderingwhat

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Ah yes.... just enough nay sayers to be ticked the Golden Goose layed her first Gold Egg, but it was too small, waited too long, and just wasn't shiny enough. :smile:

No, this is not reason for those of us who enjoy WP to throw a party, but I will anyways because I like parties.

How things develop after Nokia is part of MS is silly to debate until after it actually happens and we see what the priorities of the new MS CEO are. Until then I do not care if it is the 520/521 sales, the 92X, 82X, or the 1020, I am glad the .00001% sales of Nokia in the US have grown to over 4% based entirely on WP devices. That makes me happy.

Party at Mutts place... I prefer pretzels over cheese balls if you were to bring snacks.

There is a reason we have same kind of likes in this topic.:wink:

Come on, people! Nokia finally is back in top5 in U.S.A. And that too, after a very long struggle. Nokia and Microsoft know that things are still not where they want it. So why worry so much. Lets celebrate this news a little bit. Then we can go right back to cursing Microsoft about WP development pace.:cool:

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
RIP BlackBerry
gangsta-lean-pour-liquor-o.gif

Blackberry had a good run, though.

alv3st3r

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
4th LARGEST :grin:

Kind of a contradiction in terms I would say...

What was the point of writing "largest" in caps, bold and italics? You could have said that just by putting it in quotes like I wrote in the first sentence.

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Also, people forget LG has been in the US market for years making low to mid range products. All US carriers have some cheap to mid range LG in their lineup. I see too many L9s among young people who have t-mobile as an example. I get MSFT not wanting to use the Lumia brand, but they should have milked it for another year first.

What I'm more concerned about is what happens with other OEMs going forward. I think Samsung will still be around because, well, they're Samsung - they'll recycle their Galaxy line as usual. Huawei will still be active in China and low end in Europe. What is still needed is another recognized global partner. Let's hope HTC is still around to do that.

Last edited:

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
We have a long way to go, but this is very promising. I know my personal circle of friends and acquaintances, there's not a day that goes by where someone asks me about my phone, and walks away intrigued (Lumia 1020, by the way). Not much, I know, but still, mindshare is a significant thing, and it seems to be growing drastically (people love Nokia's hardware, after all. The Android camp's wet dream is to get Lumia hardware running Android).

Ahmed Hassan7

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
My guess is that HTC saw how long it would take for MSFT to put out the OS supporting their key hardware features - 1080p screen + quad core - and punted, hoping the One would sell enough to buy them time in the WP game.

As an owner of the 8X, I'm disappointed not at the phone itself, but for HTC not being in a position to have really swung for the fences. From a design point of view, only the 925 can stand up to the 8X in the high end and nothing beats the 8S in the low end market.

I wished they had put wireless charging in the 8X, went to 32GB internal, and has gone to 8GB internal for the 8S. Wish they leveraged the audio department with an equalizer for Beats and a few music apps and accessories. But we will see what they do next cycle. We still need HTC and Samsung, because if MSFT does complete the Nokia purchase, I don't want them to be the only partner making wp8 devices...

man the 8S sucks 4gb of internal memory !!! Really which means you get 2GB user available memory the 520 blows it away

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
It depends how it is used. I've had this phone since day 1, lived with it and now it's on GDR 3.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk

Divair

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm surprised. Not because Nokia is a bad manufacturer or because their phones are bad (neither are true, Nokia is awesome!), but because the carriers hate Nokia and refuse to cooperate with them.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure about that? Nokia might be quite popular as a brand outside of the US but in the US they really don't have that same brand recognition. I would wager that MS is probably a bigger name than Nokia in the US so I don't see any kind of drop off on this continent.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Are you sure about that? Nokia might be quite popular as a brand outside of the US but in the US they really don't have that same brand recognition. I would wager that MS is probably a bigger name than Nokia in the US so I don't see any kind of drop off on this continent.

Nice point. In every other market it is the opposite, but here in the States that is a very true statement. +1 to the poster with the repetitive number in the name!!! :cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdgiHudi