"Active" background tasks: maximum allowed/recommended?

Gwenddoleu

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Hello!

What is the maximum of background tasks allowed with WP8 (When you go to settings/applications/background tasks) ?

What is the max. of background tasks recommended to let activated? I try to limit to 5-6 apps tasks to save battery, but is it necessary? More and more apps need to have a background task activated so it's more difficult to make a choice...

What would be your advices?

Thank's :smile:

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I only allow background tasks for the apps/live tiles I have on my start screen and lock screen notifications (which happen to be largely the same list). If I unpin an app, I'll turn off the background service. I also look in the list from time to time as any newly installed apps may turn on the service without me really noticing.

I don't see why I should allow background processes for apps I use less frequently.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I have seen a popup telling me that the max was 15, and that I needed to disable something to allow whatever was now asking for a background task. But when that message showed, I went to background tasks, and counted them - three times to be sure - and came up with 16 running. So somewhere, something is incorrect. Either it's 15 and there's a bug that allowed me to have 16, or it's 16 and the popup is wrong.

I don't worry about battery. I have a wireless charger mounted under the shelf I've got my monitors sitting on at work, and frequently sit my phone there, a wireless charger in my car, JBL power-up in my living room, and a wireless charger on my desk at home. I'm surrounded by chargers so it's no big deal for me. My power concerns aren't the same as many others'.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Yeah 15ish seems to be the number and that includes apps that have tasks/tiles turned on even if they don't show up in the background tasks settings screen so make sure you go through all your apps individual settings and not assume because you have 5 apps in the settings list allowed that you only have 5 background tasks running. That's the catch that gets most people and they end up eventually losing Live Tile functionality because they have too many apps using up slots that aren't obvious by looking at the settings page.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes