Anyone have trouble with Find My Phone?

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I have tried to use Microsoft's Find My Phone feature and both times it has catastrophically failed.

My girlfriend left her cyan 920 in a WalMart parking lot. It was out in the open and had full LTE signal and perfect line of site for GPS. Yet find my phone said it was chilling in my driveway..... I brushed that one off.

Then the other night my 920 went missing. I tried using the service and it said my phone was in my house. It turned out to be in my friend's car, still on. I don't remember if I had cellular data on at that time.

But that is 2/2 failure when I needed it to work. I have the setting correct on both. I even have the phones save their location periodically.

Anyone else notice this?

Psycmeistr

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I would imagine you would need to make sure that your phone had "location" services on 24/7 in order for it to work.

Since the 920 is a battery hog for any power user, I often leave the location services off unless needed at the time--then it goes off again.-- So I don't think Find My Phone would be functional for me, either. Perhaps Find My Phone is reporting the last place in which location services were turned on.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Are you positive the correct device was set as "My Phone" on the WP site? If you've had a replacement device the wrong handset may be the one its been finding..

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I've found that Find My Phone isn't up-to-date. I've seen it anywhere from a half a day to a couple days behind. Obviously that's not too helpful!

Are there any 3rd party apps that will do the same thing? I guess I haven't checked whether or not something like this is available on WP, or if it's even possible. I don't use my 520 as my primary phone, and it's cheap enough that I don't worry too much about something happening to it.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Don't know man. Every time I've needed, its been only 2 hours or so since locate, and the find service is spot on. Good luck though..

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
That wouldn't be Android Device Manager because mine is also hours delayed.

Actually it is. It's right there, instantly. Although when it was first released it didn't reliably connect. One time my wife was meeting me somewhere where she didn't know where I was; I was just giving her directions. I was able to log in to Android Device Manager and watch her progress and tell her when to turn! (Yes, it's legal to talk on the phone while driving where we live.) We have Nexus devices, maybe that helps. Now the old Latitude, that was delayed. From my limited experience with Apple's location, it was also right there. Find My Phone always seems to tell me where my phone was half a day ago.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Oh well...

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk

Attachments

• wp_ss_20131127_0001.png
    wp_ss_20131127_0001.png
    293.3 KB · Views: 1

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
The device is connected to LTE since i left home around 7am.

No update, no reset.

That has been my experience, not better than Windows Phone.

Sent from my LT25i using Tapatalk 4

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Oh well...

Well yes you're definitely out of date there! I've never seen anything like that. Is your device in use? Maybe it's because you're not in the US? Did you recently get an update that reset ADM and it's turned off? I have no clue.

Here's my Find My Phone info (edited for privacy, location is dead on though):

WP Location.jpg

Here's my Android Device Manager info (I edited out the map for privacy, but it was dead on where I am. The time is exactly when I took the screenshot.):

N5 Location.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serdezdezen