GDR3 upgraded to 8.0.10521.155, failed installation

Yitzhak Khabinsky

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I had GDR3 the preview for developers on my Lumia 920.

I bumped into a problem with today’s OS upgrade.
After spinning gears, an automatic reboot was done.
The installation process never moved to the step 3 out of 6 “Migrating your data” after that.
Also, I never received the final confirmation that upgrade is over.

So the phone booted like nothing happened before. About shows OS version: 8.0.10521.155
OS functions are working. I can call, chat, etc.
Unfortunately, I cannot launch any additional app. on the phone now!!!

I tried to re-launch “phone update”. It shows that no updates available.

Any ideas what to do?

Yitzhak Khabinsky

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I re-booted the phone few times already.
It didn't help.

IMHO, the problem is because the step 3 out of 6 “Migrating your data” never ran.
It seems that all apps were never migrated.

The question is how to repair the installation?

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I think it's impossible now. you can't bring it back to that specified moment it just failed to update correctly.
I'm not sure though.

JoeRollerfan

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I've been told to try adding a new keyboard language in the Keyboard settings, because this triggers a recompile of the .NET system libraries (which may have been left uncompiled in an incomplete upgrade). Go figure.

TSR_MAV3R1K

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
well, that's too much to figure out. Although the update has finished installing on my Lumia 720, and it's really cool. The apps are opening really fast, app switching and resuming speed increased, also the touch has improved with immediate response. And just so you know, as soon as the update finished, it showed an "Update Complete" message. I guess the problem with your update is related to internal storage, Because mine update showed an error while in "Preparing to install" phase, and asked me to clear up some memory and try again tomorrow (Literally). Well, I cleared up, restarted my phone and viola, installation began.

Yitzhak Khabinsky

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
The issue is RESOLVED.

I followed JoeRollerfan's advice and added one more language to the keyboard settings.
After that it was a reboot, and the missing steps from the OS upgrade installation showed up:
Almost Done
Migrating your data (step 3 of 6) %%

The phone is back to be fully operational. All apps are working.

JoeRollerfan, thanks a lot.

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the update ok now go ahead and set my update going :)

edit ok i updated and have the same problem as you , trying to download a new keyboard language but it just say preparing to download and its been like that a while.....

Last edited:

Edward Rychwalski

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
The issue is RESOLVED.

I followed JoeRollerfan's advice and added one more language to the keyboard settings.

After that it was a reboot, and the missing steps from the OS upgrade installation showed up:

Almost Done

Migrating your data (step 3 of 6) %%

The phone is back to be fully operational. All apps are working.

JoeRollerfan, thanks a lot.

could you link to the process you used to install the new keyboard language. I have done it on wp7 but never wp8

Jimmy Ivory

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I've been told to try adding a new keyboard language in the Keyboard settings, because this triggers a recompile of the .NET system libraries (which may have been left uncompiled in an incomplete upgrade). Go figure.

You just saved me (or rather my phone from getting stomped). I thought the update had completed. After that, 80% of the apps I tried to open would immediately terminate. new keyboard fixed it.

could you link to the process you used to install the new keyboard language. I have done it on wp7 but never wp8
to install, go to Settings, find Keyboard, then it should be obvious

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes