Wifi problem in wp8

Hemanth sanam

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Our university wifi works on wpv/wpv2 enterprise security,I could'nt connect wifi with my L920.the prblm is everyone else's phone (android and ios) can connect,even phone working on Windows phone 7.5 can connect to wifi.pls is there any solution.
Pls pls reply

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
Our university wifi works on wpv/wpv2 enterprise security,I could'nt connect wifi with my L920.the prblm is everyone else's phone (android and ios) can connect,even phone working on Windows phone 7.5 can connect to wifi.pls is there any solution.
Pls pls reply

WP8 does not currently support EAP-TTLS....yet. Your university is probably using a PEAP setup.

You might be able to get it working if you download and install the root certificate (CA) that the university is using. However there is no guarantee that it'll work.

But anyway, yes this is a nuisance. I work in the IT department at a university and basically this is a well known problem. The reason why ios and Android users are able to connect is because the have the ability to skip the certificate check while connecting...or they have a lot more root certificates that are supported.

I know several other universities that have the same WiFi setup. I'm surprised that this hasn't been addressed yet in one of the GDR releases and it is sad that Microsoft has minimalized the corporate/business/university support for WP8. If EAP-TTLS is not implemented in WP8.1, I'll probably leave the platform.

But anyway check to see what CA your university is using. If you can download it... email it and install it by opening it up on your phone. Then you'll have the certificate and should be able to connect.

Last edited:

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
First and foremost, I would direct this to your university's IT dept about the problem and make them aware that WP does not support EAP-TTLS yet so many users with WP's will not be able to connect to the Wifi at the university without the proper certificates. I know the our sister university has started to roll out instructions on how to get the certificates needed.

But anyway....I found another post here on WPC that talks about this, so I went ahead and copied what was mentioned there.

"the way I usually get CA certs is to go to an internal secure website at your work/university that uses the same CA. Once logged in you can click the padlock by the URL (talking IE here) and select view certificates. This tells you the Issued by and Valid from/to. Take note of the Certification Path and note that you'll effectively need this same path for your phone. I think typically self-signed will have just have two nodes (the parent and the current cert you are viewing), real certs will also have a root. The typical problem is that you don't have the CA. Before you do anything else, go back to the Details tab and do Copy to File.. This will bring up the export wizard. Export to one of the .cer extensions. (don't recall if both DER and Base-64 work - I think they do). Save this to your desktop or something. Go back to the Certification Path and double click on the parent and it will open the details of that cert, export this as well and save it. Then take the couple of .cer files and email them to yourself so you can install them from your phone. Don't forget to reboot your phone too."

It's not an easy task...but it should work.

Hemanth sanam

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
First and foremost, I would direct this to your university's IT dept about the problem and make them aware that WP does not support EAP-TTLS yet so many users with WP's will not be able to connect to the Wifi at the university without the proper certificates. I know the our sister university has started to roll out instructions on how to get the certificates needed.

But anyway....I found another post here on WPC that talks about this, so I went ahead and copied what was mentioned there.

"the way I usually get CA certs is to go to an internal secure website at your work/university that uses the same CA. Once logged in you can click the padlock by the URL (talking IE here) and select view certificates. This tells you the Issued by and Valid from/to. Take note of the Certification Path and note that you'll effectively need this same path for your phone. I think typically self-signed will have just have two nodes (the parent and the current cert you are viewing), real certs will also have a root. The typical problem is that you don't have the CA. Before you do anything else, go back to the Details tab and do Copy to File.. This will bring up the export wizard. Export to one of the .cer extensions. (don't recall if both DER and Base-64 work - I think they do). Save this to your desktop or something. Go back to the Certification Path and double click on the parent and it will open the details of that cert, export this as well and save it. Then take the couple of .cer files and email them to yourself so you can install them from your phone. Don't forget to reboot your phone too."

Thank u very much..i'll try this

Nikhilteja

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site

"Go to a internal secure website that uses the same ca" -- What do you mean by that? How can we know the website that uses the same certificate without knowing the certificate details before?

Pls reply

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes