Considering trying out windows phone.

irtiza_fayaz

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Can't speak for everybody- But basically I wanted a fluid, secure, simple and consistent OS at a mid-range price. The UI is beautiful. The camera is great. Plus Nokia's excellent hardware and build quality made it a no brainer. Never really cared about apps. I personally think that iOS is overrated and couldn't handle Android's constant lags and privacy and security lapses.

EpicIncognitO

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I can only say that windows phone os is not for the groups which prefer more than expected from a phone. Its basically for people who want a personal space, like using a camera and want a bit of everything. Its a very secure phone. Coming to the apps, I think most of them have made it, atleast the 3rd party apps are all in here, and some of them beat the official ones, (ex: 6tag inplace of instagram).

My friend A Windows Phone is the most beautiful, personal phone. Be patient and you will fall in love with it. I own a Lumia 720, the best looking wp device until 925 came out.

untitled007

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
well i think you should wait for the 8.1 to arrive before buying wp, since the current when will not give you a good experience, you know, first impressions last :)

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
well i think you should wait for the 8.1 to arrive before buying wp, since the current when will not give you a good experience, you know, first impressions last :)

Yeah, that was a reason why I didn't know if I should just get the lumia 520 or just save up for a better device? I want a good first impression.

iliramove

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I had the same feeling as you when I moved from HTC One to Lumia 1020. The lack of Google Apps is really annoying, at first.

Then I migrated my contacts, emails to Outlook/Live account. I have Dropbox and I still access it through the browser but I've transition everything to SkyDrive. I also have Google Drive. SkyDrive gives me the same integration as Google drive.

If you need Google apps because of its features, you still are able to on Windows Phone. You just need to migrate your data over. The painful part is to let your friends or people you're in contact with know where to get you from there.

Skype is cool, replaces Google Hangout. I use it as well as the integrated fb chat in the native Messaging app. Google Now, is a scam. Or at least a battery drained in my opinion. My HTC One would bleed when I turn it on. I do not use it at all. Google+ is not so popular in my region and I don't use it as often. YouTube has reliable 3rd party alternatives in Windows Phone Store.

Now, SecureWord is a good replacement for one password. Give it a spin.

All being said, Windoes Phone 8.1 is just around the corner. That will be a looker in terms of upgrade. I think it'll bring WP8 on par with the competitors when it launches.

Sent from my RM-937_eu_euro1_231 using Tapatalk

Garneth

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Would the 520 or 620 even work in the USA? I know they don't sell them here . Is the only cheap one I can get is the 520?

You can easily pick up a 520 from the microsoft store online or in store, or at any AT&T store/online. If you're not on AT&T your choice becomes the Lumia 521 on TMobile, also available at the carrier and Microsoft Store. The 620 is available at Aio Wireless, a subsidary of AT&T based on affordable prepaid prices.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, that was a reason why I didn't know if I should just get the lumia 520 or just save up for a better device? I want a good first impression.

If you can afford it. What are you waiting for? A good first impression at WP starts at NL 920 and up. Go for it you will be impressed.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
So, here's a interesting development. My buddy is actually going to let he use his lumia 920 that he's not using rig right now so I can see how windows phone works for me. He replaced it with a S4 around Christmas. So yay , I get to use a WP for a bit ! And the 920 is pretty good, no?

mikeoc

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I've been using a 920 for a week. This is my "try out Windows Phone" test, I've come from a Samsung Galaxy S3, and just because I was bored of android really, and wanted to try something new. The 920 is heavy, so not a phone I would keep long term. I find most of the Nokia Windows phones quite chunky, so I will be interested to check out the 1820 when it is released, see if that is any better.

I use Google processes heavily for work, shared calendars etc, so had to find a third party calendar that synced with my Google calendar, it cost me ?1.99, not a problem. I'm not too sure about using a 3rd party app to access my Google Drive files, which include finances, so I just wait until I am before my laptop for that work, again no problem. Prob too fiddly to do that on a phone anyway, and I only very occasionally attempted that on my old phone. So not a biggie.

The phone and interface is fast, no lag like I had on the S3. Google calendar and Drive aside, there's only 1 app other I had on android that is not in the Windows Store, or there is no equivalent for, and I don't think that's too bad really?

I *really* like how the phone can pick up pictures from my Facebook a/c randomly for the lock screen, gives me a nice surprise each time i wake up the phone :) The way the settings are laid out is simple, compared to android where you could get a little bit lost in menus trying to find the right setting. I also *really* like the double tap option to wake up the phone from standby. Pictures are automatically stored to my SkyDrive account from the camera, and the Office365 facility is useful, although I havent yet and prob wouldnt need to use it on the phone, is handy for if ever I did need modify a document.

I wasn't too sure about the notifications, or lack of - used to my S3 blinking at me when in standby mode, letting me know I had a message or missed call etc, so initially I was very worried that I was going to miss everythng with this phone. But then I found the Glance option in the Settings, and configured my lock screen to show the notifications I want, so all fine now in that respect. I understand there will be a notifications centre coming in 8.1 too (and Google Calendar sync!), so even better. I do still miss the ease of notifications in android though.

This phone seems to use less battery power than my android phone when in standby, which is good. Less bloatware than android for sure, and makes a difference.

Overall I like the phone, but, I do find myself missing android, which surprises me. I think it's the android notifcations bar more than anything, just what I am used to. Probably also that this phone is heavy and chunky, compared to the slimmer android smart phones. I'll wait until I can check out the notifications in 8.1, but at the moment I am keeping my eyes on the new phones about to be released, and leaning towards a return to android.

GiggleGoddess

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
So, over the last few days I've been considering trying out a windows phone instead of using my iPhone 5S, but had some questions and concerns:

The main reason I always liked windows phones when I flipped through then was the UI and how the interface looks. Not sure if this is unpopular opinion, but I like the visual look of metro UI a lot. It really pops. I also love how the Nokia phones feel.

But I have alot of hesitation. I know windows phone isn't the most popular OS and I remember a lot of complaints from users over the years. And I remember the app selection being terrible. But I don't know if this still holds true and would like to hear from users.

Also, this might sound weird, but do I have to be a xbox gamer to get the most out of a windows phone? Because I only own a ps4.

Also , is there a easy, affordable way to have a good WP experience? The phone would need to be unlocked too because in still paying off the iPhone.

I'd highly recommend trying out Aio. Its a MVNO of Att. They have the 620 and now 520. I got the 620 for $99...but now its on even a bigger sale for $79. Since its a prepay company if you don't like the coverage or whatever just don't pay and your account will be canceled after two months...no fees of any kind!

Their plans start at $40. All have unlimited talk and text...what differentiates them is the amount of data. $40-500mb/$50-2.5gb/$60-5gb. With autopay it shaves off another 5$ (35$/$45/$55).

You can also bring your own device. So if you want the 920 as long as its unlocked it should work:)

Ive had android and blackberry(z10). I love hr metro theme and how the Lumia 620 feels in my hand. I miss the BB keyboard and the slightly larger screen for typing (but I got the 620 to try out Aio and WP and downgrade to something more basic now that I have a tablet I can use for my android games.) I've never used an Iphone but I think WP is MUCH better. Its simple, clean, and smooth (even without a ton of RAM). The only downside so far for me is battery life...920 pry won't be that way though.

If you have another device to get your apps I'd highly recommend trying out a WP with Aio. (Even though WP has plenty of great apps.) Great coverage, well designed website, and AFFORDABLE prices! Need a referral? PM me:). You'll need it before buying anything on their website. Good luck:)

Sent from my Lumia 620 WP using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GiggleGoddess

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
So I went to the site and check the windows App Store to see if they have the same apps that I use on my iPhone. Honestly, I was rather disappointed.

First of all, no official google apps at all? Really? Not even YouTube. That rather rediculous.

No one password app, no Dropbox, no amazon mp3, no pocket :(

I really hope the app situation improves. Is there a reason it's do lacking? I also notice many complaining that apps never get updated.

I use Metrotube for youtube(beautiful and functional!)

OwlReader for Pocket.
There are some apps for passwords(I don't use them but I've heard great things.). I think one is called wallet or skywallet.

You just have to look around the WPCentral website and forums to see alternatives for certain apps. Once you try them out you won't go back:)
You just have to be flexible...i don't have certain apps I've used on android but I have a tablet for those games.
WP has Hulu, Netflix, Spotify, Pandora, etc. I wish the Spotify app worked in horizontal mode and songs download to the SD card(since I like to have alot of songs available for offline play). But even with these slight annoyances at least I have access to them.

I still haven't found a good alternative to Workahol on Blackberry but I just have looked hard enough yet,lol.

Sent from my Lumia 620 WP using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon