Major issues with Gmail on WP8 on Lumia 920 - not a Newbie - Help appreciated

stagger321

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Hiya,

OK, so I have been using WP8 on a Lumia 620 for about a year now. No major issues with Gmail. Occasional Sync issue, but nothing significant.
Just replaced 620 with lovely new Lumia 920.

Big, big issues with syncing, causing battery to die after a few hours.
This is because gmail sync loops, and loops, or comes up with an IMAP error, but then loops a bit later on.
Initial gmail setup works fine (either with 2 way verification or with this disabled) and the latest set of emails come down to the phone - but the resulting syncs just loop.
The only way I can get the phone to live for normal lengths of time is to go into flight mode, reboot and delete the gmail account via settings.
I have tried disabling contact and calender syncs, but that doesn't really help, neither does restricting the folders I sync via the PC Gmail interface

I have googled and tried every solution I can see but getting nowhere. The only ray of hope is this setting up of a Outlook.com account and try forwarding. But this seems a it like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

So any help appreciated.

Thanks

Stagger.

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately i have no idea how to setup a Gmail with push other then forwarding it to Outlook. My brother bought 925 the other day and when you set up gmail, you don't have "as items arive" and you can't set it up any more using active sync or active exchange whatever is called. So i forwarded it to Outlook. Works perfectly fine though.. when you reply it looks like you replied from your gmail email..

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Normally you can setup gmail in outlook 2013 in two different manners :

- IMAP

-POP3

How to set up Gmail in Outlook 2013
[h=2]POP3 and IMAP: Which one to choose?[/h]POP3 and IMAP are both protocol that allows you to connect to a mail server and fetch your emails. With POP3, all your emails are downloaded to your computer first before you can view them in an email client such as Microsoft Outlook or Thunderbird. When you read an email in Outlook, your email will be marked as read automatically in the software, but it will still be marked as unread on the mail server, e.g. in your Gmail account. The same applies if you delete an email in Outlook – you will still see the email through the web-based version in Gmail, although you have already deleted it in Microsoft Outlook.
In contrast with POP3, IMAP syncs all the changes you’ve done on your mail client (Microsoft Outlook). You should use IMAP if you access your email through multiple devices such as your office computer, laptop, tablet or your mobile phone. This is because if you have deleted an email when you were accessing your inbox on your laptop, and then log into your inbox again on your tablet, you wouldn’t want to see emails that you have previously deleted, right? Your previously read emails will also be marked as read across all your devices.
I recommend you to use IMAP over POP3 as it will save you both time and space if you use multiple devices to reach your inbox. If you intend to use Outlook for back up purposes, then use POP3.

Then, regarding windows phone, this link may shed some light on the matter :

How To Setup Gmail Accounts On Windows Phone

[h=2]Dealing with Issues Syncing[/h]At least, that’s what’s supposed to happen.
Unfortunately when it comes to syncing a Gmail account with Windows Phone, there are a couple of problems that you might face.
The first, and most common, is the captcha issue.
Problems arise because Windows Phone doesn’t have an option to enter the Google captcha puzzle solution. As a result, the entered credentials might be correct but no mail can be synced.
Fortunately there is a simple way around this. First, ensure your Gmail account is setup with the correct credentials on your Windows Phone.
muo-wp7gmail3.png

Then, head to the Google Captcha Unlock page at: https://www.google.com/accounts/DisplayUnlockCaptcha Once there, click Continue, and on your phone tap the Synchronise button. With the captcha unlocked manually through the browser your Windows Phone can then successfully sync with Google Mail!

muo-wp7gmail4.jpg

If this doesn’t work first time, delete the Gmail account on your phone (Settings > Email + accounts, tap and hold the offending account and select Delete) and set it up again.
The other problem potential problem you might encounter is an issue with your phone’s connectivity. Naturally this will prevent syncing so you will need to connect to a mobile or local Wi-Fi network to complete synchronization.

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
And then also from Nokia themselves, so check if you got those right aswel, just to make sure :

Set up or delete an email account | Windows Phone How-to (United States)
[h=3]To set up a Google account[/h]
  1. In the App list, tap Settings
    start-icon-settings.png
    , and then tap Email + accounts.
  2. Tap Add an account > Google.
  3. Enter your email address and password, and then tap Sign in.
  4. Tap the Your name box, type the name you want to appear for messages you send, and then tap Sign in.
    Your Google account email, contacts, and calendar will be synced to your phone.
    [h=3]Notes[/h]
    • If you have a Google Apps account, you'll need to set it up differently. Go to Settings > Email + accounts, then tap Add an account > Advanced setup. Enter your user name and password, tap Next, then make sure to tap Exchange ActiveSync. When you're asked for your server, enter m.google.com. For more guidance, see To enter email account settings manually (advanced) below.
    • Getting an error when you try to set up a Google account on your phone? Learn more

And from MS :

Error message when you try to sync a Google account to Windows Phone

Symptom :

When you try to sync your Google account on your Windows Phone, you receive the following error message:
2870740.png

Google error

It looks like you may be using a Google Apps account that is not set up to sync with mobile devices. In your web browser on your PC, go to Mobile settings for your Google Apps account, enable Google Sync under Service settings, and then try to sync again.

Error code: 85010020

The problem occurs for one of the following reasons:

• You are trying to use a paid Google Apps account which needs to enable sync with mobile devices.
  • You are trying to use a free consumer Google account to sync mail, calendar, and contacts after December 31, 2013 on a new Windows Phone.

Resolution:

Windows Phone was originally designed to use Google Sync (also known as Exchange ActiveSync or EAS) to sync Google email, contacts, and calendars. Google has announced that it is ending support for Google Sync for new customers on December 31, 2013. Because of this, Windows Phone will sync with Google accounts using different methods:
  • IMAP for email
  • CardDAV for contacts
  • CalDAV for calendars

[h=3]Update your Windows Phone to the latest version[/h]Make sure your phone has the latest version of the software:
  • Windows Phone 8 update 8.0.9200.10327 and later builds are able to successfully add a Google account to sync email, calendar, and contacts.
  • Windows Phone 7 update 7.10.8862.144 (?7.8?) is able to successfully add a Google account to sync email only.

stagger321

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for this.

I have pretty much tried all of your suggestions previously. The captcha one, the Google apps login ( I don't use a commercial login - so this won't work), deleting gmail account entry in phone setting ( several times) and re-creating
As I say I have a Lumia 620 which works fine. I have even had the new 920 phone changed as a last resort.
The 920 is running the latest Lumia Black s/w btw.

The strange thing I have noticed today is that it looks like the password I put in for gmail on the phone ( to setup the gmail account) seems to be need account.live.com entry and not the gmail web browser password (that I use on my PC to get into gmail).
When I originally setup my Win 8 (now win8.1) PC I chose my gmail account as the win 8 account.live.com userid and used a diff password to the one I use to enter the gmail web browser on the PC.
Obviously when I then setup my gmail account on my new Lumia I expected to put in the gmail account password, not the account.live.com password.
However the opposite seems to work - well for the first email downloads. The trouble is that after loading some of the emails into my new phones gmail account it then gets into a sync loop, since I assume the password it expects to sync with is incorrect..

Its almost like the account.live.com and the gmail accounts & passwords are linked/intertwined/mixed/corrupted.

Hope this makes sense - as its difficult to describe.

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for this.

I have pretty much tried all of your suggestions previously. The captcha one, the Google apps login ( I don't use a commercial login - so this won't work), deleting gmail account entry in phone setting ( several times) and re-creating
As I say I have a Lumia 620 which works fine. I have even had the new 920 phone changed as a last resort.
The 920 is running the latest Lumia Black s/w btw.

The strange thing I have noticed today is that it looks like the password I put in for gmail on the phone ( to setup the gmail account) seems to be need account.live.com entry and not the gmail web browser password (that I use on my PC to get into gmail).
When I originally setup my Win 8 (now win8.1) PC I chose my gmail account as the win 8 account.live.com userid and used a diff password to the one I use to enter the gmail web browser on the PC.
Obviously when I then setup my gmail account on my new Lumia I expected to put in the gmail account password, not the account.live.com password.
However the opposite seems to work - well for the first email downloads. The trouble is that after loading some of the emails into my new phones gmail account it then gets into a sync loop, since I assume the password it expects to sync with is incorrect..

Its almost like the account.live.com and the gmail accounts & passwords are linked/intertwined/mixed/corrupted.

Hope this makes sense - as its difficult to describe.

In that case, I think there might be a mix up with your email accounts....did you try a hard reset allready, and try setting up the phone from factory settings ?

Sounds annoying, I know, but it might be the only solution (if any).
You can backup contacts, text messages and apps/games via phone settings, and other stuff like images/videos through usb link...

After the HR, set up only your live account and make sure it is properly synced and everything. Then add the google account and try to sync...
If that don't help, I guess your best option is using an app instead for checking Google Mail...MetroMail is supposed to be very good, although not free...haven't tried any, but there should be free alternatives aswel in the store.
MetroMail | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

About a year ago, many WP users had this sync-loop issue coming from Gmail, but as I understand, that issue got resolved by implementing CalDav and CardDav ?
You can read about it for example here: Most Windows Phone 8 users should say good-bye to Gmail calendar and contacts sync

You can alternatively also ask MS to check your live account aswel, or either have a look yourself via logging on on www.outlook.com and check the mail settings (allthough I doubt there would be an issue there...).
Microsoft Community

I think as of late, there is also phone support available via the MS website.

Then also, you can ask on the Gmail support forum about your issue, or ask Google to check for any issues with your Gmail account, or maybe ask them if they know why it works on your other phones but not on the 620...
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/gmail
Contact us ? Contact us ? Google

Hope you get it resolved.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99