Bad move? Switching from Verizon HTC 8X to T-Mobile Lumia 925

frett

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have a Verizon HTC 8X and an old Unlimited Everything plan. Currently paying $133 a month.

For strictly financial reasons, I am switching to a T-Mobile "Unlimited" plan using the new Lumia 925 I bought. (I am sooooo in love with the new Lumia)

1) My Data usage is usu less than 3GB a month
2) T-Mobile has "ok" coverage here (about an hour North of Atlanta), Verizon has awesome coverage almost everywhere here
3) I realize if I leave Verizon, I cannot come back to my unlimited plan

My questions are these:

1) I realize I will lose a lot of Game saves, but won't everything else (Contacts, SMS/MMS texts) be transferred over when I login with my Microsoft account?
2) What horrible things am I overlooking about switching? I am dying to use the 925 as my daily driver, so I am afraid I am being blinded by its awesomeness!!!!

Any readers made a similar move (from Verizon to T-mobile) and care to share the experience? Especially if you're in Georgia (as coverage issues are important)

Thanks in advance!

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Why didn't you consider the 928 or the ICON on Verizon instead of the 925. Maybe it's not too late to keep your unlimited plan by getting one of these Verizon models. That would be my best recommendation.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Why didn't you consider the 928 or the ICON on Verizon instead of the 925. Maybe it's not too late to keep your unlimited plan by getting one of these Verizon models. That would be my best recommendation.
It sounds like (s)he's switching to get away from that high priced plan. Just would hate to lose it when/if she wanted it back later.

frett

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Excellent question. If I bought the Icon from Verizon, I would lose my unlimited plan with the new contract. As I said at the beginning, I am switching carriers to save money. I got the 925 for $200 new, no contract.

frett

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like (s)he's switching to get away from that high priced plan. Just would hate to lose it when/if she wanted it back later.
Yes, that's why and yes, I will be giving up a lot of data. I used to scratch my head at the old Sprint customers who had the original unlimited plan and were doing everything they could to hold onto it. Now I understand why!

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
I have a Verizon HTC 8X and an old Unlimited Everything plan. Currently paying $133 a month.

For strictly financial reasons, I am switching to a T-Mobile "Unlimited" plan using the new Lumia 925 I bought. (I am sooooo in love with the new Lumia)

1) My Data usage is usu less than 3GB a month
2) T-Mobile has "ok" coverage here (about an hour North of Atlanta), Verizon has awesome coverage almost everywhere here
3) I realize if I leave Verizon, I cannot come back to my unlimited plan

My questions are these:

1) I realize I will lose a lot of Game saves, but won't everything else (Contacts, SMS/MMS texts) be transferred over when I login with my Microsoft account?
2) What horrible things am I overlooking about switching? I am dying to use the 925 as my daily driver, so I am afraid I am being blinded by its awesomeness!!!!

Any readers made a similar move (from Verizon to T-mobile) and care to share the experience? Especially if you're in Georgia (as coverage issues are important)
1.)Yes everything else should be transferred over if you had your phone set to back up data on OneDrive.
2.) I've come the conclusion that all the major US carriers are ****ty just in different ways. T-Mobile won't' bleed your wallet dry as bad as Verizon tries to however it comes at the cost of coverage as Verizon has the best 4g LTE coverage in the US. So depending on how important 4g is to you, T-Mobile shouldn't be too different (especially in populated areas with 4g support).

ratsttam

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I can't speak for your coverage between the carriers there. My experience in Northeastern PA is that it falls back to AT&T towers. (advantage: if you decide tmobile isn't for you, you can unlock the phone and pop an at&t sim card in it).
To answer the questions:
1: you may want to skip the restore, make sure it updates to Lumia Black, then factory reset it again, and restore on wifi. You'll lose your game saves and such, but all your contacts and even sms messages will fall back into place if you've had your 8X set to backup to skydrive.
2: I've done my switch a couple months ago from Sprint. Even though I spend a lot of time on 2x, it's still good coverage (for me at least), I've got no regrets about the switch yet. The 925 has been solid for me, and even seemed plenty fast compared to my Sprint 8XT.

frett

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I can't speak for your coverage between the carriers there. My experience in Northeastern PA is that it falls back to AT&T towers. (advantage: if you decide tmobile isn't for you, you can unlock the phone and pop an at&t sim card in it).
To answer the questions:
1: you may want to skip the restore, make sure it updates to Lumia Black, then factory reset it again, and restore on wifi. You'll lose your game saves and such, but all your contacts and even sms messages will fall back into place if you've had your 8X set to backup to skydrive.
2: I've done my switch a couple months ago from Sprint. Even though I spend a lot of time on 2x, it's still good coverage (for me at least), I've got no regrets about the switch yet. The 925 has been solid for me, and even seemed plenty fast compared to my Sprint 8XT.
That is a really good point about changing sim cards and going to AT&T as an option. I assume I have to be on T-mobile for a certain number of months before they would unlock it for me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon