WP updates

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Sorry for the dumb question but this is my first WP. My question is about updates, as a long time android user when Google dropped an update it was sent out to the phone manufacturers I.E. HTC LG Samsung to do there thing for a month or so then too the carriers who would sit on it for 6 months or so before pushing it out. Is windows that bad or is it more straight up like apple?

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Sorry for the dumb question but this is my first WP. My question is about updates, as a long time android user when Google dropped an update it was sent out to the phone manufacturers I.E. HTC LG Samsung to do there thing for a month or so then too the carriers who would sit on it for 6 months or so before pushing it out. Is windows that bad or is it more straight up like apple?

Pretty much the same. Though since the manufacturers can't do much to change the OS, they don't cause trouble. Carriers do screw around, yes. There is a Developer Preview program where your phone can get updates directly from MS as soon as they're released, but that will void your warranty.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Okay OP, the first two posts aren't giving you the full picture. I work for a carrier. This is the situation:

Neither the OEMs nor carriers can make any changes to the WP OS. In that sense, WP is exactly like iOS. However, OEMs are required to provide drivers that mediate between the OS and their proprietary hardware, like Nokia's camera hardware. So, OEMs do have to put some work in. That is a consequence of supporting multiple hardware vendors instead of just one. In that sense, WP updates reach consumers in the same leisurely manner as Android updates do, because both require OEM involvement.

Unlike with Android, carriers are equally unable to change anything on WP (which is typically done by the Android OEM on the carriers behalf). Carriers do however reserve the right to test updates before releasing them. Apple has contracts with carriers that bind them to a certain schedule, but MS doesn't. That is another factor that delays WP updates, similar to Android.

For consumers, the fact that WP updates function nothing like Android is apparent in a few places. The existence of MS' developer program, through which anybody can get updates on day one (just like on iOS), is one example. Getting OS updates like this means the OS release has just gone through MS' testing, but not yet through the OEM's or the carriers. Another big difference is that on WP, most devices tend to get all updates, because the amount of work required to do so is rather small compared to what Android OEMs must go through. That means you are far, far, far more likely to get every WP update than you are to get every Android update, particularly on low end devices.

Last edited:

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks you guys!!

While everything said is correct, I'm surprised no one has told you how to bypass the carrier certification process:

Download the preview for developers app here:

Preview for Developers | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Use the app to dev unlock your phone. After this is done, you should receive the update when MS send it out for the dev preview program. It's basically a way for MS to bypass carrier certification on their updates. Latest rumor is they plan to release the update at or around BUILD on April 2nd.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, I've looked at that, I don't like the fact that I could be stuck with a buggy build and not able to flash back or even make a backup of my current rom. This is the one thing I miss from android is the moding :'(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon