11-16-2014 08:25 PM
66 123
tools
    I'm not saying they shouldn't expand to new markets, but the idea of "Google does X , therefore Microsoft must do X" is just as ridiculous as "Microsoft makes consoles, therefore, Google must make a console".
    MERCDROID likes this.
    03-19-2014 11:46 AM
    See, this is the thing I don't get. .
    Your "getting it" or not, is not relevant.
    03-19-2014 12:42 PM
    Google glass is a kids toy. At least I don't expect it to ever reach critical mass. No one wants to be under constant surveillance from their friends let alone people you don't know. Smart watches might have a better shot at it.
    I totally agree that Google Glass was an experiment. What I did find were the variants that spun off the technology that were actually quite promising. They were purpose-built solutions that fit a specific market and did those things VERY well. Would I use those devices outside what they were intended for? Prob not, but then the manufacturers prob didn't either.
    03-19-2014 12:46 PM
    Your "getting it" or not, is not relevant.
    Well, you're doing a pretty terrible job at telling me why you would spend $300 for the sole purpose of checking notifications while you're in a meeting. Maybe if you explain it better, there wouldn't be a problem. Your OP was acting like Microsoft will fail or something if they didn't invest in an SDK for smart watches, so I don't see what the big deal is or why they must do it just because Google did it.
    03-19-2014 01:47 PM
    I'm not saying they shouldn't expand to new markets, but the idea of "Google does X , therefore Microsoft must do X" is just as ridiculous as "Microsoft makes consoles, therefore, Google must make a console".
    I think the concern is that Microsoft hasn't brought anything new to the market that disrupts the market and attracts consumers since the Xbox. Everything else Microsoft seems to be doing is following, not leading. On the other hand, Google has disrupted the market with its products and captured the minds of consumers.
    tgp, jleebiker, jojoe42 and 2 others like this.
    03-19-2014 02:11 PM
    I think the concern is that Microsoft hasn't brought anything new to the market that disrupts the market and attracts consumers since the Xbox. Everything else Microsoft seems to be doing is following, not leading. On the other hand, Google has disrupted the market with its products and captured the minds of consumers.
    Oh, I agree. I want them to expand and grow their ecosystem, but the question of them needing do expand could be said a bunch of different ways such as "what do you think their next market should be" or "what would you like to see if Microsoft made a smart watch?", but the way the OP put it was basically "while we're sitting around, twiddling our thumbs, Google is leaving Microsoft in the dust because Google invested in an SDK for smart watches".
    03-19-2014 02:21 PM
    Well put! Say the word "innovation", and Google, Samsung, and even Apple will come to mind, not Microsoft (besides to a few fanboys!).
    jleebiker and MERCDROID like this.
    03-19-2014 02:28 PM
    the way the OP put it was basically "while we're sitting around, twiddling our thumbs, Google is leaving Microsoft in the dust because Google invested in an SDK for smart watches".
    That's not necessarily true across the board, but it is in the area of mobile & wearables.
    03-19-2014 02:30 PM
    Oh, I agree. I want them to expand and grow their ecosystem, but the question of them needing do expand could be said a bunch of different ways such as "what do you think their next market should be" or "what would you like to see if Microsoft made a smart watch?", but the way the OP put it was basically "while we're sitting around, twiddling our thumbs, Google is leaving Microsoft in the dust because Google invested in an SDK for smart watches".
    I agree that it's not smartwatches only. What has Microsoft developed or acquired recently that's been a huge success with consumers? Google also bought Nest, so between the smartwatches and smart thermostats, Google has the headstart on connected gadgets and the connected home. Microsoft used to advertise about what the future would be like with connected homes, but it appears that Microsoft has been all talk and no action, while Google is taking charge in that area.
    jleebiker and MERCDROID like this.
    03-19-2014 02:31 PM
    Well, you're doing a pretty terrible job at telling me why you would spend $300 for the sole purpose of checking notifications while you're in a meeting. Maybe if you explain it better, there wouldn't be a problem. Your OP was acting like Microsoft will fail or something if they didn't invest in an SDK for smart watches, so I don't see what the big deal is or why they must do it just because Google did it.
    1) I don't need to justify it to you. Just myself.
    2) Think big picture, not just notifications. Think "Lead, Follow or Get out of the way"
    3) I *am* the OP.
    4) If you don't see what the big deal is, leave it alone. Walk away from this thread.
    MERCDROID likes this.
    03-19-2014 02:31 PM
    1) I don't need to justify it to you. Just myself.
    2) Think big picture, not just notifications. Think "Lead, Follow or Get out of the way"
    3) I *am* the OP.
    4) If you don't see what the big deal is, leave it alone. Walk away from this thread.
    1) you posted a topic. That leaves room for disagreements and agreements. If someone disagrees with you and you don't want to respond, just don't respond. You can't just post something and think that no one could possibly disagree with you.
    2) That's what I'm asking you to explain. I cant think of that much stuff that a watch could do that would be that useful on a small screen, especially since WPC wrote an article about how people are demanding bigger and bigger screens.
    3) OP means original poster OR original POST
    4) why can't you just explain to me what the big deal is? Why would you post something and tell anyone who can't see if from your POV to walk away.
    03-19-2014 02:38 PM
    I think you read the OP wrong. He basically said while we're here worrying about things that won't really make a splash or have some kind of positive effect on Microsoft from a public POV, like updates on apps and glitches and other small things, Google is pushing forward into new territory. Now, your opinion is your opinion, but I can tell you most other companies WOULD NOT invest in a new area without evidence of actual demand (*cough* Pebble *cough* fitbit *cough*). Both I would say have made significant changes to how consumers see wearable technology, and naturally Google (who can throw a lot of money at anything - look at the air-balloon internet thingys) want to get first dibs. OP was just mentioning (in my view) how Microsoft is letting others like Google and Apple even take the market again. And admittedly, this has happened before numerous times with MS. Sure, you might not understand why people want to wear an additional device, but just saying Pebble is $170 here (nicely priced) and it serves multiple purposes too OTHER than notifications.

There is actual demand, the time for wearables is now....otherwise Microsoft could miss out on yet another area of the market. And not only that, but it also changes the public's view of the company - Google is quite an innovative company because they come out with lots of stuff, Apple is quite reserved and Microsoft is trying to come back. More or less, I'd say that's the public perception of each company. And MS is missing out on a chance to change that fast
    03-19-2014 03:25 PM
    [warn] Let's keep the tempers down a bit. It's the WPCentral way. If we receive one more report about this thread we're shutting it down and issuing infractions[/warn]
    03-19-2014 08:07 PM
    Just thinking outloud here.
    What about connectivity between the two
    Would it ( later on / near future ) not be possible that these things can work cross or multiplatform.
    For example i can use my Google tablet to control my laptop.
    So what i mean is cant you use a google watch with a MS device.
    03-19-2014 09:42 PM
    I really wish Microsoft was on top of this. I think the Metro design language is built for smart watches. It's clean, minimal, and easy to use. I would to have a smartwatch that integrates with my music playing on my phone, serves as a Cortana input, can read text messages, etc.
    03-19-2014 10:05 PM
    I really wish Microsoft was on top of this. I think the Metro design language is built for smart watches. It's clean, minimal, and easy to use. I would to have a smartwatch that integrates with my music playing on my phone, serves as a Cortana input, can read text messages, etc.
    Especially the live tiles too. They could make the watch an extension of the tiles if they wanted to - one medium tile on WP/ four small tiles are quite well-sized for a watch
    03-20-2014 12:02 AM
    People arguing about the watch are thinking too physical. Think concept, spirit, Idea. :P

Please see this, its a watch, with Google Now. Again, a watch with Google "Now", Time, watch, it all fits as if its a jigsaw puzzle .

I don't know if it was a lucky shot, or they planned this from the very first beginning, but this is the most genuine idea Google gets out its sleeve.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-20-2014 01:16 AM
    2013 was the year for smartphones
    2014 is meant to be the year for smart wearables. Google is well into the game. They have Google glasses and now this.

They are surely leading the industry while Microsoft will just about catch up with 2013 on April 2nd, 2014.
    Google glass will never take of, al because they refuse to lower the price
    03-20-2014 06:15 AM
    So what i mean is cant you use a google watch with a MS device.
    Not quite sure. Google has released a whole API. That's going to make the experience between phone and wearable VERY tight and seamless. MS will just have to make do. Bluetooth is a standard that is not owned by either so a basic set of features maybe available to MS.

The question is why isn't MS doing more in this arena? Clearly, there's a demand for it. If MS is concerned with exploring new market share, here's a perfect opportunity to get into something.
    03-20-2014 10:03 AM
    Microsoft really needs to step on the gas with innovation. I love everything Microsoft but Google is seriously beating them to the market with great products. Android Wear is proof. Microsoft needs to start investing in or acquiring startups with great tech and immediately integrate them into their teams. Google does that well. I for one hope 2014 will see Microsoft making more waves.

PS - I actually liked this concept.

Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-20-2014 01:31 PM
    Even if kid's toy - it is out there. What has Microsoft got? If it does go mainstream end of this year or next year - Microsoft has another catch up to play. It has hardly caught up on smartphones, nowhere near watches or glasses and it's revamped Windows 8.x is still struggling to convince the loyal masses + Xbox One is struggling against PS4.

All in all, it looks like Microsoft keeps getting pushed on back foot in innovations. If that continues, there will be markets after markets that Google would have reached when Microsoft turns up to those, they will be as saturated as smartphone market is currently.

What does that mean? That means forget about that ecosystem dream it is chasing because that will only happen if it is leading or at least competing in all those fields instead of playing catch up. Only place Google is catching up is desktop OS and Office solutions discounting enterprise on Windows 7 who won't switch.
    I can't argue with a lot of that because we both have eyes. I can't tell at this point if MS has its priorities in those area yet. I was proud to finally see them bring a tablet to the market. But it seems they are almost reluctant, even resistant to doing things outside of what we know them for. Once 8.1 drops however, we'll see if MS can make a move in wearables, watches, glasses for medical, (which is the only place I can see google glass going that make sense.) Microsoft moves at its own speed no matter how much I want stuff. lol And I wouldn't get caught up in this horse race since all this snit changes weekly. Besides, Microsoft doesn't seem to be worried, so why should we?
    Laura Knotek and jleebiker like this.
    03-20-2014 01:37 PM
    You can't rush them to come up with something to take over the markets LOL

But they do need to participate with these smart watches
    03-21-2014 12:01 AM
    glasses for medical, (which is the only place I can see google glass going that make sense.)
    The military was experimenting with a similar device for helping with maintenance functions. Techs wore a lightweight PC that had tech diagrams and they could line up what was on the HUD with the actual part they were working on. It was a wire-frame diagram and they could use it to compare and contrast what it SHOULD look like. Saved the Tech countless hours from carrying paper with them or constantly running back and forth for addl docs.

It's THIS kind of thinking that MS has lost.
    03-21-2014 12:46 PM
    The military was experimenting with a similar device for helping with maintenance functions. Techs wore a lightweight PC that had tech diagrams and they could line up what was on the HUD with the actual part they were working on. It was a wire-frame diagram and they could use it to compare and contrast what it SHOULD look like. Saved the Tech countless hours from carrying paper with them or constantly running back and forth for addl docs.

It's THIS kind of thinking that MS has lost.
    Yeah, so we should just end all discussion on the matter where MS is concerned. No way MS has the wherewithal to get in the smartwatch game. / end sarcasm.
    But I have a question, didn't google just get in the game? Sammy had it before and not google so why do you think MS is out of the game? Especially when not many own a "smart watch". We have yet to hear from Apple, which is surely working on one or even two.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-21-2014 03:30 PM
    I think MS is too disjointed internally to have a cohesive plan. Apple is certainly working on something, but they are being more tightlipped about. I expect anything with credibility will be very close to the actual release product.
    03-22-2014 07:48 AM
66 123