Does anyone understand how amazon works? Especially with respect to windows phone.

Rawliglat x

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I am looking to purchace a L1520 but one of my major reasons is so i can read my books on the go.
So i amhoping someone can tell me how amazon ebooks work.
is there an app for it on WP? Can i read my books offline?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes, and yes. I don't use it much, so I can't give you in-depth, but the answers to your questions are both yes.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
You should be able to read eBooks on the go on the 1520. My best friend has had eBooks on her 710, 521 and now 925. There are apps for reading books on the go, or you can download PDF books if you have the Adobe Reader app on your phone.

Rawliglat x

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
You should be able to read eBooks on the go on the 1520. My best friend has had eBooks on her 710, 521 and now 925. There are apps for reading books on the go, or you can download PDF books if you have the Adobe Reader app on your phone.

I mean specifically books bought from amazon.

10curtains

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
The kindle app for WP is crap. As of today they have an update. An update to fix a couple of bugs, nothing else I was so disappointed.
The biggest issue I have with it is the lack of search. ie. I have over 600 books and the only way to download from the phone is by author or title. You have to scroll through a single line of 600 books to find the one you want, in the meantime another half dozen have downloaded by mistake.
There is NO dictionary in this app. When you compare the kindle app for ios and android. They have even got cloud collections. Collections I've just to scroll through 600 books.
In my opinion Amazon has forgotten windows anything as the windows 8 app lacks loads of things as well.
Anyway rant over. I have been emailing Amazon for months now and getting nowhere.
The work around I have been using is by having kindle app open and on computer I log into manage my kindle and choose WP to download books to. It's slightly less frustrating than scrolling through hundreds of books.
The only thing it has going for it is you can read most of your kindle books on it.
As of November 2013 I stopped buying ebooks from Amazon.

Rawliglat x

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
The kindle app for WP is crap. As of today they have an update. An update to fix a couple of bugs, nothing else I was so disappointed.
The biggest issue I have with it is the lack of search. ie. I have over 600 books and the only way to download from the phone is by author or title. You have to scroll through a single line of 600 books to find the one you want, in the meantime another half dozen have downloaded by mistake.
There is NO dictionary in this app. When you compare the kindle app for ios and android. They have even got cloud collections. Collections I've just to scroll through 600 books.
In my opinion Amazon has forgotten windows anything as the windows 8 app lacks loads of things as well.
Anyway rant over. I have been emailing Amazon for months now and getting nowhere.
The work around I have been using is by having kindle app open and on computer I log into manage my kindle and choose WP to download books to. It's slightly less frustrating than scrolling through hundreds of books.
The only thing it has going for it is you can read most of your kindle books on it.
As of November 2013 I stopped buying ebooks from Amazon.

Thanks, that was very thorough. One more question, can i download my amazon books from pc and read them on my phone?
What is the file format? Is it supported by WP?

10curtains

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
No. You download the kindle app from the app store on your phone.
Once you have the app sign in to your amazon account all your books will be in the cloud. Depending on how many books you have you can download from the app. If like me you have hundreds of books you may find it easier to sign in to amazon on your computer and go to manage my kindle, they're is list of actions and you can choose what device to download to.
The app does let you pin the book your reading to your start screen which is useful.

Rawliglat x

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
No. You download the kindle app from the app store on your phone.
Once you have the app sign in to your amazon account all your books will be in the cloud. Depending on how many books you have you can download from the app. If like me you have hundreds of books you may find it easier to sign in to amazon on your computer and go to manage my kindle, they're is list of actions and you can choose what device to download to.
The app does let you pin the book your reading to your start screen which is useful.

Is the amazon service instant? Once i pay i get the book or it takes a while? And is there a kindle app for windows pc?

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Is the amazon service instant? Once i pay i get the book or it takes a while? And is there a kindle app for windows pc?

Any Kindle book that you buy is instantly available to you given that you have a connection to the net that can download a 2-3MB or so book quickly. Also as mentioned earlier there are indeed Kindle apps for PCs. :)

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Kindle uses a format called AZW for their Kindle books. It is a proprietary format. You can't just download the file and open it on your phone as a document file. They are not transferable to another user. The files are attached to your Amazon account. I agree somewhat with 10curtains that Amazon has ignored their Kindle app for Windows Phone for too long and it lacks many of the Kindle's best features. I do still support Kindle however, it is my preferred way to read a book anymore. I read on my phone, my Windows 8 tablet, using the Kindle app, and an e-ink Kindle device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon