What's still missing in wp 8.1?

Sandeep Aashish

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
WP 8.1 has Xbox Music app which can be updated via store just like the one in windows 8.1. So, i guess it will improve a lot over time like any app.

mesamit

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
For me the big deal killer is lack of 1st-rate Google apps. I'm sorry but nothing MS has is as good or superior to Google Search, Maps, Mail & Youtube. Until they can match or better those, I'm probably sticking to Android.

for me outlook is way better than ****ty gmail

LillWicke

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
not doubting you but have you seen it in person either on the emulator or phone ? Asking because I've seen reports mentioning the same for a previous update (Black, i think...even WPCentral had a report stating so (?)) and that feature wasn't there.
The truth is that nobody has seen anything so far, because wp8.1 is not out yet.
Hearing things from people running a beta or an emulator or otherwise speculating due to rumors is not the same thing as hearing it from MS themselves.
I heard this form MS at build conference. I can't imagine they are lying.

:smile:

androidtoWM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The truth is that nobody has seen anything so far, because wp8.1 is not out yet.
Hearing things from people running a beta or an emulator or otherwise speculating due to rumors is not the same thing as hearing it from MS themselves.

okay. hopefully they include this basic feature.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
For me the big deal killer is lack of 1st-rate Google apps. I'm sorry but nothing MS has is as good or superior to Google Search, Maps, Mail & Youtube. Until they can match or better those, I'm probably sticking to Android.

My phone background first - 6 years on Android, Rooting, Roming, Kernaling, tinkering, customizing, etc. Got tired of it, tried out Windows Phone because I really liked the Windows 8/8.1 interface (I had a Surface RT tablet, and now Dell Venue 8 pro). I was just done with installing Rom's. My last Android phone was the Galaxy Nexus, and it lagged so bad, and crashed so much, I just couldn't bring myself to buy another Android phone, and didn't want Iphone, so enter my Windows Phone trial with Lumia Icon (on VZW).

Search: I have no drop off on web searches with Bing vs. Google, the difference in results is negligible at best, and with Cortana coming, it seems that Bing could take a huge leap.
Mail: I find that Outlook.com email is far superior to gmail, the integration of desktop outlook tasks such as sweep, and rules, etc. push it over. The Mail app on WP seems fine to me. Not sure what your trying to do with it that WP wouldn't allow you to do. If you want to keep your Gmail account, use Metromail app, it is fully customizable, and allows you to retain your gmail labels, etc.
Youtube: See, this is something I just don't get, at all. Yes, there is no "official google version" of youtube, but why do you need it? I use Metrotube - it manages my subscriptions, allows me to watch later, download audio / video, and sync with Music / Video hub. To me, this is better than the Android version, which does not allow you to download videos or audio.
Maps: Well, this is another story all together - Here drive is better than Google Navigation, used both, I prefer Here Drive. But regular old Here Maps, is not as good as Google Maps for finding things that you don't have the address for already. Here Explore beta is pretty cool, I find it works pretty good, but if I typically use Yelp on either platform for eateries. I don't know, its sort of hit and miss with the Maps, do I wish there were a Google Maps app on the phone - sure, but it isnt a dealbreaker for me. If you rated google maps a 9/10, Here would get an 8.5, hardly a deal breaker IMHO, it gets the job done well, just sometimes not quite as well as Google would have.

When 8.1 comes out, go and try out a Windows Phone for 2 weeks - if you still feel Android is where you want to be, then that's fine. If you never try it, you will regret it. I tried it, and am here to stay for the time being.

androidtoWM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

well ?

document upload is still not possible via native email client.

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
There are 2 things that immediately come to mind for what's still missing in 8.1

A toggle in the Action Center for Data.
60/120 fps video recording for capable devices.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon