Should Nokia consider naming their flagship by a NAME (not a #)?

bionicgt

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
I was just thinking if it was better for Nokia to have a flagship device with a NAME rather than a #? all this Lumia 920, 1020, 620, 520, 521, 820, 720, it's just very confusing for clients hence the fact that no real name is given to their flagship line of smartphones... People now say the flagship is the 930, it being the succesor of the 920... People just go and buy HTC ONE, Samsung Galaxy 3, 4, 5 ... easy names, or iPhone 6 (upcoming) .. I think they should just call it Lumia X or whatever easy name... that sets it apart from other devices...:eck::straight:
People would be amazed by going into a store and just read NOKIA LUMIA GRAND or NOKIA LUMIA SPACE (as an example :winktongue::winktongue: )

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
When scanning any info about WP's the Lumia designation along with the number stands out for me.
All the other makers and names or types never catch my eye because I can't tell who's who.

I would say at least for me Nokia\Lumia\500 thru 1500 are unique and organized.
Stems from being an old government worker.
Stock numbers with nomenclature.
:smile:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I prefer numbers since they have a significant lineup and its a lot easier for me to slot in where a phone fits in (or will fit in) as opposed to Samsung's primarily word naming for most of their Galaxies. I don't know how the Ace, Core and Grand stack up. I just know it as the S# and Note's are the top of the line and the rest are just not top of the line.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
To me, phone model names sort of blend into the background for me. HTC was good for models with grandiose names like Lightning and Incredible. In the end, I don't remember if those phones were remarkable or why. At least to me, the numeric name of Lumia 920 tells me a little bit about the phone. It's a higher model than 520 or 620, but is a series behind 930. It's contextual, like how you can know what the Samsung Galaxy S3 is, relative to a Galaxy S2 or S4, or roughly how old an iPhone 4S is.

LCW

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I like that Nokia uses Lumia (recognizable) and numbers (gives the lineup some logical hierarchy). I have an Icon but would rather VZW had stuck with 929... But they (VZW) always have screw things up

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I like that Nokia uses Lumia (recognizable) and numbers (gives the lineup some logical hierarchy). I have an Icon but would rather VZW had stuck with 929... But they (VZW) always have screw things up

Lol...
I'm hoping Xfinity\Comcast absorbs Verizon (Atlantic Bell)
With any luck there will be a melding and new name forged then we can all start over :winktongue:

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure if Verizon and Comcast were to unite, that would be the sure and definite trigger of The Apocalypse.

F3rzz

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Lumia icon say hi

Also, for those talking about continuity blablah, the Nokia Lumia 630 says HI.
97209u.gif

...I think a name after Lumia would add Coolness tbh. Let's Do It.

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I think Nokia will keep using a number since they stuck with "Icon" because it's release was delayed a few months and there were already leaks calling it "Icon" for so long. I wanted to call it the 929 but after seeing so many ads calling it the Icon I've started to associate the word with the phone instead.

By the way, I'm pretty surprised with how much I've seen the advertisements on TV for the Icon. I've never seen this many ads for another Windows Phone. I think Microsoft is finally starting to understand the importance of good marketing (in quantity at least). Whether the ads are actually good or not (I hate those "Honestly" commercials almost as much as I hate those stupid old break dancing Surface Pro ads) is another story for another thread.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I think Nokia will keep using a number since they stuck with "Icon" because it's release was delayed a few months and there were already leaks calling it "Icon" for so long. I wanted to call it the 929 but after seeing so many ads calling it the Icon I've started to associate the word with the phone instead.

By the way, I'm pretty surprised with how much I've seen the advertisements on TV for the Icon. I've never seen this many ads for another Windows Phone. I think Microsoft is finally starting to understand the importance of good marketing (in quantity at least). Whether the ads are actually good or not (I hate those "Honestly" commercials almost as much as I hate those stupid old break dancing Surface Pro ads) is another story for another thread.

I'm pretty sure Icon was Verizon's decision not Nokia's...

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
The thing about Nokia that you guys don't understand is that its a mass producer , it produces many many models for different markets. And in order to keep track of all of these models numbers are the most convenient way and its simple "the higher the number the more of a high end phone it is"
IPhone has a few models in the market and therefore simpler to refer to it as an iPhone only
Take Samsung for instance they are mass producers like Nokia too and they use names for their models (galaxy young, galaxy mega, galaxy god knows what ) my point is , with Samsung I can't differentiate or assume anything from the name of the phone ( except for galaxy S series because they have good reputation)
And honestly samsung's names + many many models confuse me alot
Leading me ultimately to think that numbers are the best solution for Nokia (unless they plan on releasing one high end and one low end phone every year )

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes