Nokia Lumia vs Samsung ATIV

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi WPC
first of all, I'm sorry if this thread is in the wrong forum...

I'm from Indonesia and currently using Nokia Lumia 1020

I'm looking for a phone to recommend for my relatives (and to lure them to Windows Phone, of course)
I've been looking at several reviews about some phones, especially the Nokia Lumia...
recently, the Samsung ATIV series caught my attention

any of you guys have experience using both a Lumia and an ATIV and care to give some review?

thanks in advance :)

Tony_Offends_U

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi WPC
first of all, I'm sorry if this thread is in the wrong forum...

I'm from Indonesia and currently using Nokia Lumia 1020

I'm looking for a phone to recommend for my relatives (and to lure them to Windows Phone, of course)
I've been looking at several reviews about some phones, especially the Nokia Lumia...
recently, the Samsung ATIV series caught my attention

any of you guys have experience using both a Lumia and an ATIV and care to give some review?

thanks in advance :)

Why...?
http://forums.windowscentral.com/samsung-ativ-se/272735-nokia-lumia-icon-vs-samsung-ativ-se.html

Tony_Offends_U

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Can't go wrong with either honestly. I'd check out GSM Arena on the specs, go in store and hold/play with them, then decide from there.
Like honestly, both are powerhouses. Wouldn't regret either.

trainplane

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
That other thread is kind of a mess. From what I can see just based on the specs:

Ativ SE
+ removable battery, IR blaster, SD card, larger battery, front camera (2 MP vs 1.2 MP)

Icon/930
+ camera button, Bluetooth 4.0 (SE has only 3.0 so no LE?), wireless charging, back camera (maybe), Nokia software, sensor core(?)

--------- for both: carrier exclusivity

If only someone would make a phone that combines the features above. The things I care about more are in the Icon (camera button, wireless charging, Nokia software)

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
That other thread is kind of a mess. From what I can see just based on the specs:

Ativ SE
+ removable battery, IR blaster, SD card, larger battery, front camera (2 MP vs 1.2 MP)

Icon/930
+ camera button, Bluetooth 4.0 (SE has only 3.0 so no LE?), wireless charging, back camera (maybe), Nokia software, sensor core(?)

--------- for both: carrier exclusivity

If only someone would make a phone that combines the features above. The things I care about more are in the Icon (camera button, wireless charging, Nokia software)
I agree, the Nokia software is a nice added bonus.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I don't know why anyone who likes Windows Phone would choose a Samsung over Nokia. They are in bed with Google. Nokia is known for incredible build quality with its designs and durability, plus they support their devices.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I don't know why anyone who likes Windows Phone would choose a Samsung over Nokia. They are in bed with Google. Nokia is known for incredible build quality with its designs and durability, plus they support their devices.

There we go, the same BS arguments that always show up when talking about Samsung.

What has Samsung being "in bed with Google" got to do with Windows Phone? Absolutely nothing.

Nokia devices have known manufacturing defects ranging from dust in the FFC, overheating, screens losing touch responsiveness until rebooted and those are just a few of them. Design is subjective, you either like a design or you don't simple as that.

Now we come to the biggest load of BS ever spouted on this site, support. Support isn't chucking out new devices and apps every femtosecond. My ATIV S has had every firmware and OS update that Samsung has put out and it WILL get WP8.1, can you say the same about the Lumia 810? Samsung also updates their apps regularly as well.

Do you really think that Samsung, whose primary focus is Android, are going to spend millions of dollars on Windows Phone devices? No, they aren't and as long as I get updates and apps from Samsung then I'm happy. On a similar note do you think Nokia, whose primary focus is Windows Phone, are going to spend millions of dollars on their Nokia X range? No, they aren't and that was even stated by Stephen Elop at MWC. This means that just as Samsung aren't creating designs specific to Windows Phone devices, Nokia won't be doing the same with the Nokia X devices.

I've said it before and I'll say it again this isn't Nokia Phone Central or Samsung Phone Central it's Windows Phone Central and we're all here for the same reason, we all love Windows Phone no matter what manufacturer we choose. Berating people because they don't choose a certain brand is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen on any website.

And you guys wonder why Samsung owners don't comment on articles any more!!!!

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey, this is a forum, where people are supposed to share their thoughts and opinions on a multitude of topics. That is exactly what I did, give the OP MY personal opinion in answer to the question. If you don't like it, it's just too bad. You don't have to like my comment, but guess what? Again, it's a free forum and I gave my opinion. It doesn't mean I have to stay out of the thread, especially when the OP asked for OPINIONS about a Nokia phone as well as a Samsung. It also doesn't mean you or other Samsung owners shouldn't comment because again, it's a free forum to do so. Why don't you kindly chill out?

tbonenga

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I've had alot of phones HTC HD7, Dell Venue Pro, HTC 8X, Nokia Lumia 900, 920, 925 and a ATIV S.
Hands down the ATIV S is the winner.
Battery last 2-3 times longer than any other phone.
SD slot. This is very important since 8.1 allows apps/games to be stored on a memory card.
The 925 had a slightly better camera but it died so fast it wasn't worth it.

akthelonelyman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Its not really about support .but u get some exclusive perks with nokia like nokia imaging apps and offline maps.and a better camera.
I dont blame Samsung as they dont have much lee way in modifying the OS like they do with android and its not worth time or money as wp is not their primary os.so if ur planning to invest big money in wp os I would suggest nokia now.in future most exclusive apps will be available to most after microsoft acquisition.so in long term I dont know.

Last edited:

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Its not really about support .but u get some exclusive perks with nokia like nokia imaging apps and offline maps.and a better camera.
I dont blame Samsung as they dont have much lee way in modifying the OS like they do with android and its not worth time or money as wp is not their primary is.so if it planning to invest big money in wp os I would suggest nokia now.in future most exclusive apps will be available to most after microsoft acquisition.so in long term I dont know.

Offline Maps are part of Bing Maps as well, so that's not really a plus point for Nokia. However Bing Maps isn't included on Nokia devices in favour of the HERE suite of apps which is a very good alternative.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Hey, this is a forum, where people are supposed to share their thoughts and opinions on a multitude of topics. That is exactly what I did, give the OP MY personal opinion in answer to the question. If you don't like it, it's just too bad. You don't have to like my comment, but guess what? Again, it's a free forum and I gave my opinion. It doesn't mean I have to stay out of the thread, especially when the OP asked for OPINIONS about a Nokia phone as well as a Samsung. It also doesn't mean you or other Samsung owners shouldn't comment because again, it's a free forum to do so. Why don't you kindly chill out?

Problem is that your post spouted all the BS that most Nokia fanboys spout about Samsung and I'm sick of it. Was my post harsh, possibly, was it telling the truth, yes it was.

akthelonelyman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Offline Maps are part of Bing Maps as well, so that's not really a plus point for Nokia. However Bing Maps isn't included on Nokia devices in favour of the HERE suite of apps which is a very good alternative.

thats new news for me. i thought bing maps was like google maps. not entirely offline but can be cached offline to some extent. here maps is totally offline in the sense u can download entire maps to ur phone.
and didnt nokia license their mapsuite to integrate with bing maps? so bing maps after wp 7 is powered by nokia maps suite? atleast thats what i thought

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
thats new news for me. i thought bing maps was like google maps. not entirely offline but can be cached offline to some extent. here maps is totally offline in the sense u can download entire maps to ur phone.
and didnt nokia license their mapsuite to integrate with bing maps? so bing maps after wp 7 is powered by nokia maps suite? atleast thats what i thought anyways

Bing Maps uses Nokia Maps data so it's essentially the same app just with slightly different features, HERE Maps uses the same data I downloaded through Bing Maps anyway.

akthelonelyman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
well u are wrong...samsung ativ s review from gsm arena

The mapping solution in Windows Phone is called just Maps. Microsoft claimed that the service is now powered by Nokia Maps and its Navteq Map data, but the interface and the general user experience looks the same.

Unfortunately there is no voice-guided navigation like Nokia Drive. The only available option is directions.

Real-time traffic information is available, though and so is caching for offline usage.{no downloading of entire maps like here drive} This means that you can preload map data and use it on the go without a working data connection.

Samsung Ativ S review: A fresh start - GSMArena.com

akthelonelyman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Bing Maps uses Nokia Maps data so it's essentially the same app just with slightly different features, HERE Maps uses the same data I downloaded through Bing Maps anyway.

here maps doesnt use bing maps data..its vice versa.so from that review its not really the same app..
its a far superior app with full offline maps with voice guided navigation with outstanding features like "live sight" .. both phones are good but no need to ignore and understate good aspects of one to glorify the other.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Problem is that your post spouted all the BS that most Nokia fanboys spout about Samsung and I'm sick of it. Was my post harsh, possibly, was it telling the truth, yes it was.

Not really. How great has Samsung been at supporting its devices vs Nokia? As far as I know, the 810 is the only WP that was dropped. So, you're sick of it? Boo hoo...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes