[Official] Initial thoughts on Developer Preview of WP8.1

mikosoft

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Initial thoughts on Developer Preview of WP8.1

SMS/MMS confirmations are STILL received as separate messages WITHOUT even resolving sender name. That is so stupid. This should have been fixed bazillion years ago.

gilatino

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site

WP 8.1 is great and working very smooth on my lumia 620 faster than WP 8. I like installing apps on my sd card and the action center.

txkimmers

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Very happy camper here!

I am confused by all the posts about Xbox music being slow, mine is totally fine after initially having to find all my music. Maybe because I store almost no music on my phone, it's mostly collections stored in my xbox account? Anyway, feeling bad for those that are so unhappy with it. :(

The FB integration loss, also feeling bad for folks. I dumped FB last year and don't miss it a bit, but I always thought the integration in WP was really great.

Cortana took a while and a soft reset or two to show up, but I have been having a great time with it. I LOVE BEING ABLE TO ADD A CALENDAR ITEM WITH VOICE. <3 <3 <3. REMINDERS HUGE, THANK YOU SO MUCH.
One bug with Cortana that I noticed: when bluetooth is on in my device, Cortana is totally deaf, cannot seem to hear or comprehend a thing that I say. Turn off bluetooth, and Cortana is fine.

The wallpaper option is cool but I think it works best with non-photo images. I have been using the app Wallpaper Patterns and have found some great stuff for it there. Also--is there an app that lets me create a blank but transparent tile? I would pay some money for that, for sure....WizTiles, please send out an update with that, stat!

I also never thought I would say this, as I thought a notification/action center seemed redundant with live tiles, but no: It's good. Really good. I love it, especially the shortcut from there to all Settings, that is awesome.

One strong dislike--cannot share photos to OneDrive, unless you set the default setting to upload everything? Yerks. I don't keep forever every single photo I take, now I have to manage them in two places at once? DISLIKE. I would have included a screenshot of my current phone screen so you could see how nice Wallpaper Patterns stuff can be, but apparently the screenshots folder is the one folder that does NOT auto upload to OneDrive. So they are basically stranded on my phone now, unless someone knows a workaround that doesn't involve emailing images anywhere. :straight:

So far, though I am loving 8.1.

elmacho

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site

Try attaching a doc file to an existing email thread and report back. Because when someone asks me to send them a document I don't reply with a totally separate email, does any business work that way? Complete and utter disgrace this functionality is not there in the 4th year of this platforms existence. Again they have concentrated on fluff like Cortana instead of addressing real problems with this OS.
Well,there seems to be a workaround for this now,go to outlook on IE,switch to PC site,select the thread you need to reply to,attach the docs using the file picker and voila...!

elmacho

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site

Weren't we supposed to be able to attach any kind of file to emails? I'm still getting the option to only attach pictures!

go to outlook on IE,switch to PC site,select the thread you need to reply to,attach the docs using the file picker!Yes,its still not straight forward but atleast its there

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

Well,there seems to be a workaround for this now,go to outlook on IE,switch to PC site,select the thread you need to reply to,attach the docs using the file picker and voila...!

Nice try, but that is in no way a solution to this issue. If I'm going to do that why use the built in client at all?

jlanzac

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site

Is there any way to disable an app in the action center but still get the toast? AFAIK I'm only able to disable it completely or to have it on the AC, but I want the old behaviour for some apps.

elmacho

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site

Nice try, but that is in no way a solution to this issue. If I'm going to do that why use the built in client at all?

I did admit it wasn`t a straight forward solution,neither am I trying to defend MS here fyi. It works if you aren`t in a position to use your laptop, when you are on the go.

At other times,if you do have the time and have a ton of mails to reply to and you need to attach docs to some of them,how about doing that on a laptop,just my opinion.

txkimmers

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Agreed. Slightly less cumbersome as using IE is to use the Office app and share via email the document from there.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site

This is probably a dumb question... But where is the really cool lock screen that they demoed?

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I love it. Storage sense is awesome, Cortana is very nice, notification center is a godsend, swipe keyboard is great, I'm ecstatic to see backups include app data and it's nice having so much more control. Only problems are that Xbox games still doesn't show Xbox one games, and Bing rewards still isn't integrated in our Bing/Cortana app.

Also seems like no matter what I disable or set in battery saver, Cortana eats my battery alive on my Lumia 1020 (strangely, that doesn't happen on my Lumia 520).

SSK the Gr8

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site

I was looking for that too as the wifi turns off shortly after the screen goes off on 8.1 and I can't see an option to keep it on like there was in 8.0.
Yeah man, and like everybody has their own issue with this update. this is the most annoying one for me. Because I hate loosing features that we already had.I want Wifi always on option back!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)