[Official] Initial thoughts on Developer Preview of WP8.1

21hertz

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Enterprise WiFi still not good.

According to Microsoft officials EAP-method TTLS+PAP is available for WP 8.1 (Enterprise Wi-Fi authentication (EAP)).
But it still does not work. Users have been waiting since Windows Phone 7 for this feature.

If you choose EAP-method TTLS in the WiFi-settings on your WP8.1-phone - it will still ask the RADIUS-servers for MSCHAP-challange/response. And there is no way to change it to PAP in the WiFi-settings.

This means that a couple of hundred thousands users (students, teachers and professors and alike) world wide - still can't use eduroam WiFi with their Windows Phones where TTLS+PAP is used.

All (!) the other modern platforms supports this: including Android, IOS, MacOSX, Windows 8/8.1, Windows RT, Google Chrome OS, Blackberry, Linux and even Kindle!
But NOT Windows Phone.... Why? And when (if ever) will this be fixed?

nLumia620

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I think that there are a lot of improvements. Action center, individual volume control, the fact that you can now organize your playlists, battery sense and others. Of course there are some bad ones, like the mixture of apps and games (which really pisses me off), or the lack of Data connection shortcut in the action center, but what can you do?...Anyway, considering that this is a Preview, i think that in the future those things will be improved.

Fell Beast

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
All in all, this is a great update. It has expanded the usability of the OS; plugged many holes in the previous version; and, as is always the case, it opens a couple more as designers push the envelope. iOS gets ripped on every update; Android always hears static. It is just the nature of the beast when new software is released.

I imagine this was a HUGE undertaking, and give the smaller releases time to, again, begin plugging the holes we now have. Piece by piece we are watching the evolution of a great mobile OS taking shape. Enjoy the ride. :)

Aditya SK

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
can any one tell me how to be on offline mode on Facebook app. well i can't find any where in WP 8.1
unlike WP8 where it had online, invisible, offline options

zeke009

Dec 5, 2008
Visit site
5. Games. Why in my main list?? No more game notifications on home screen (yes, it was buggy at best, but fix it, don't remove it)
It looks like hubs are thing of the past so they can update the app more regularly. It was mentioned elsewhere that hubs required an update to the OS.

lexinoo

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I think that on the whole this update has been brilliant and huge!I know there are a few bits and pieces that need sorting but I think Microsoft have done a great job .I had started to lose hope in wp ever catching up with android/iOS and I was heading back to android myself,however this update has shown us the hard work and commitment that has been put in and so I shall be sticking with wp now.

damtrx

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
This update remind me of a cheap Android device.
App segmentation , reboots .
Messaging hub is pointless.
Can't send pictures from Skype.
Facebook integration is a crap.
Music player is a mess
Ie11 syncs well but I am missing tab numbers

Microsoft should rebuild the whole platform and fix all of the integration problems.
Smoked by windows phone my ***!
Lumia 920 is lagging like a crap Samsung device.if I want lags and crap integration with app segmentation I should have buy android device

And my Lumia suddenly restarts

Last edited:

Mattman86

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
With all of the complaining on this forum about a BETA application and a PREVIEW os, I wonder how any of you even get through a day of your life without breaking down into tears and yelling, "WHY?!?!" over and over again.

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Curious after 8.1 Update:
Please confirm if we can attach media files(Audio/Video) from phone libraray in whatsapp? Also, Can we share ringtones through Bluetooth/Whatsapp?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: Initial thoughts on Developer Preview of WP8.1

I do like WP8.1 but I do think the Dev preview was released to soon. Not everything is ready to go, the lock screen and apps for example are not ready and hurt the 8.1 experience. It should have been all at once.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
This is why they call it a preview......

hidayat225

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Guys. after installing the preview I had several problems though. App crashes and some unstable stuffs. just did a hard reset and I can confirm all the problems is gone.

The battery is a bit worst though. Should probably let it settle down for a few days first.

So far loving this .1 Update.

Mattman86

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Guys. after installing the preview I had several problems though. App crashes and some unstable stuffs. just did a hard reset and I can confirm all the problems is gone.

The battery is a bit worst though. Should probably let it settle down for a few days first.

So far loving this .1 Update.

I also noticed that the battery life is a bit less. But, I'm sure that's because I'm constantly asking Cortana stupid questions and then laughing like a fool for 5 minutes.

Manoj Daran

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Finally Installed on my L520. Phone performance is good, but it has a Bad Battery life. If you are a frequent Internet User, then you much have a Charger with you all the time. Normal Usage didnt harm the battery life. Is there a Way to add Ringtones other than, plugging into my PC?? I thought, there might be a feature like - Select a Song/Audio in Library > Assign to a Contact/Ringtone. [Like in Symbian] Or am I missing something??

Mostafa Saleh

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site

Close button still appear at the right top to close pages otherwise you can pull down to close the page , I think removing the ( X ) icon will be cool

Mostafa Saleh

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site

instead of double tap to weak up the phone > press and hold to start cortana , I think this will be smart more if you press and hold the search button to weak up the phone with cortana service ready and waiting for your orders

judemanutd

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site

instead of double tap to weak up the phone > press and hold to start cortana , I think this will be smart more if you press and hold the search button to weak up the phone with cortana service ready and waiting for your orders
on a phone like the lumia 630 that wont be possible since there is not dedicated search button so on a phone like that it comes back to double tap itself.

madmoondog

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Plugged in and app ringtones....i keep my phone on vibrate for everything, yet, now, when plugged in to power it rings with a ringtone for calls and SMS. I dint see an option to turn this off. Is it a bug?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes