Camera after Windows Phone 8.1 Update

pankajupadhyay05

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
Is it just me or camera has indeed improved with Windows Phone 8.1??

I am not talking about the interface or features but the image quality. The pics are coming out nice and sharper than before. Less noise and grains. Just wanted to be sure if you guys feel the same. My Lumia 720 feels good now as neither the default or nokia camera were producing decent result before the update. Let me know about your phone's image quality. If it's better i won't update the firmware whenever nokia releases it.

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Yes I feel that it has changed. I have also noticed that in settings > applications > photos+camera, in the Default camera apo box. The original Camera app is now called Microsoft Camera so I'm wondering if they can make changes to the imaging algorithms without having to go through Nokia. I have noticed that Microsoft Camera takes better pictures than Nokia [Pro] Camera.

I've done a bit of testing and the difference is negligible in some situations and noticeable in others with certain colours

Microsoft Camera
13893785164_fa81875c89.jpg

Nokia Camera
13893438003_d043653d3c.jpg

Last edited:

pankajupadhyay05

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
Great work by Microsoft as i can see from your pics and confirm that images are better. Now, I feel like owning a 720 as the results were very poor earlier.

Before Update:
WP_20140226_133.jpg

After Update:
WP_20140416_002.jpg

Both pics are of same lightning conditions and you can see that second is really neat

AndrewL920

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Yes I feel that it has changed. I have also noticed that in settings > applications > photos+camera, in the Default camera apo box. The original Camera app is now called Microsoft Camera so I'm wondering if they can make changes to the imaging algorithms without having to go through Nokia. I have noticed that Microsoft Camera takes better pictures than Nokia [Pro] Camera.

I've done a bit of testing and the difference is negligible in some situations and noticeable in others with certain colours

Microsoft Camera
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2846/13893785164_fa81875c89.jpg

Nokia Camera
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2867/13893438003_d043653d3c.jpg

What are the settings you used for taking these photos?

AndrewL920

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

Microsoft Camera

Nokia Camera

I think these photos have different lighting condition. Can you take photos with the same lighting condition? Thanks

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Does Microsoft camera have the same features the Nokia camera? Because the Microsoft camera is way faster than the Nokia camera

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

Skynet3D

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site

Microsoft Camera

Nokia Camera

I did 30 different tries shooting different object with different light conditions, with and without the flash, and with my 925 I cannot reproduce that result. MS Camera and Nokia Camera are identical. The only small difference I can see, but just comparing the pictures, is that the nokia pics are a bit more contrasted,while the MS ones are just a bit more lighter. But, as said, if you compare them you can (sometimes) see a pretty tiny difference, otherwise on my side I get the same identical pic it doesn't matter if I use MS Cam or then Nokia one.

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I did 30 different tries shooting different object with different light conditions, with and without the flash, and with my 925 I cannot reproduce that result. MS Camera and Nokia Camera are identical. The only small difference I can see, but just comparing the pictures, is that the nokia pics are a bit more contrasted,while the MS ones are just a bit more lighter. But, as said, if you compare them you can (sometimes) see a pretty tiny difference, otherwise on my side I get the same identical pic it doesn't matter if I use MS Cam or then Nokia one.

Mate even a tiny difference which is mostly what i get means that there is in fact a difference which means a fix could be on the way as Nokia completely broke the camera since amber and a few people have now gone back to portico. When MS takes over I think things are going to get very beautiful for Windows Phone users. 8.1 makes WP a real player on the market while still managing to keep it totally original looking. Ios and Android look almost the same since the latest updates on both sides.

rubenwidjaja

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I doubt Microsoft camera is better than Nokia Camera
I take same pictures in same condition, all auto, here is the result:
Nokia Camera
WP_20140419_19_50_55_Pro.jpg

Microsoft Camera
WP_20140419_006.jpg

as you can see, Nokia camera more detail, colourful and sharper than Microsoft Camera
you can do zoom to text in calendar and see Nokia Camera more sharp in detail of text
Picture taken by 720 and resize by email

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon