WP8.1 has unpredictive volume controls! Very annoying

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
What I find very annoying is, that when you hit the volume buttons, sometimes you are changing the Ringer + Notifications volume, and sometimes the Media + Apps volume. When I'm in Whatsapp or Facebook messenger, I would expect, when I hit the volume buttons, it simply changes the Ringer + Notifications volume. But no, it changes the Media + Apps volume even thought there is nothing of media going on. On the home screen, and in apps like SMS and the dial app, it changes the Ringer + Notifications volume. In the calendar app it changes the Media + Apps volume for god knows what reason. I'm finding the way this is chosen all over the place very annoying! I remember in Android you always changed the Ringer + Notifications volume unless there was real media sound going on, when you would use the buttons then, it would change the Media + Apps volume. Much better and predictable. The way it is now in WP8.1 is very very irritating!

HansTj

May 10, 2013
Visit site
When you're inside an app (except phone and messaging), it changes the media + apps volume.
When you're not inside any app, it changes the timer and notification volume.
When you plug in a headphone, it changes the headphone volume.

It doesn't look "all over the place" at all to me. Just remember to change the notification volume before you enter any app, that's all. It is actually a very very minor issue, if that is even an issue at all. Once you get used to it, the annoyance is no more.

Last edited:

Ekmeet Singh

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Well When you are using any app (except phone and SMS) it does not matter that you are playing a game listening music or using whatsapp or messenger to the OS they all are included in Media + App so it is not an issue and if you want to change Ringer volume then press any volume key tap the down arrow and change the Ringer volume... If you don't like the way it works then its fine and either you should try to understand the new working or adjust to this coz when there was single volume control in WP8.0 many people had problem with that and now when they are separate some other people have problems so all I want to say is: it is not an issue of the OS it is just the personal liking of individuals. :smile:

Detectionable

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
When you're inside an app (except phone and messaging), it changes the media + apps volume.

It doesn't look "all over the place" at all to me. Just remember to change the notification volume before you enter any app, that's all. It is actually a very very minor issue, if that is even an issue at all. Once you get used to it, the annoyance is no more.

This^^

Obviously when you're inside an app, it changes the app volume, imagine the outcry if it didn't ?

ptrkhh

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
In my opinion it should be like this:
Volume buttons ALWAYS change Media+Apps.
If Media+Apps is 0, then Ringer volume is also 0. Later on, when Media+Apps is raised again (doesn't matter how much), then ringer volume would be restored to the original value.
Otherwise, don't touch the ringer volume.
If I want to listen to media, but I don't want ringer to come in, then the WP8.0-style ring+vibrate/vibrate button should do the job

It was implemented in Windows Mobile, and nobody complained about it

Rajat Malhotra

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
It does not work based on whether media is playing or not but on what app are you in currently..if u open messaging or some system apps it toggles ringer if u open apps like fb or wtsapp it toggles media.... That is the way it worked on Android and ios too

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
It does not work based on whether media is playing or not but on what app are you in currently..if u open messaging or some system apps it toggles ringer if u open apps like fb or wtsapp it toggles media.... That is the way it worked on Android and ios too

But there is no logic to this. The calendar app never plays media sounds, but when you're in it, it activates those volume controls. And I've noticed more examples where it's not logical imo..
I'm constantly experiencing that when I want to change the ringer volume, I get those gay media controls, and I always have to hit that little arrow and then change the ringer volume.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site

It's a big issue, and it's extremely annoying. I much preffered the previous way with one volume.

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
It's a big issue, and it's extremely annoying. I much preffered the previous way with one volume.
I do like the separation, but the implementation is wrong imo. You should always change the ringer volume, unless media is playing in my humble opinion. What logic is there to identify Facebook messenger or WhatsApp as requiring media volume control when there is no media sound being produced? It is very confusing and annoying. Same with this wpcentral app. I'm just reading news, why would I like to change media volumes? Mostly I am just changing the ringer volume depending on the situation I'm in. Media is only played when I actively hit a button to start it. So I really do not see why you need to change media volumes when you're not doing anything media related.

Last edited:

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I do like the separation, but the implementation is wrong imo. You should always change the ringer volume, unless media is playing in my humble opinion. What logic is there to identify Facebook messenger or WhatsApp as requiring media volume control when there is no media sound being produced? It is very confusing and annoying. Same with this wpcentral app. I'm just reading news, why would I like to change media volumes? Mostly I am just changing the ringer volume depending on the situation I'm in. Media is only played when I actively hit a button to start it. So I really do not see why you need to change media volumes when your not doing anything media related.

I know that on android I had to actually quit the app (as in force kill) in order to release the volume control, and some apps would only let me change the media volume while actually playing sound (and all they did was beep every now and then, so it was nearly impossible). I liked the one volume fits all, there should be an option to connect all of them into one like before.
And there's different volume for headphones and different for bluetooth. Super confusing. And worst of all, the quick sound/silent toggle button is now 1 step further away. At least putting the both vibrate and ringer controls are quickly there once you open the whole volume panel.

EssThree

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Eh, I feel like if I'm using the hardware volume keys on my phone I want everything turned down. If I only want one thing or another turned down I'd use the software controls. The way it is now means if you want your phone silenced you HAVE to go into the software controls.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion it should be like this:
Volume buttons ALWAYS change Media+Apps.
If Media+Apps is 0, then Ringer volume is also 0. Later on, when Media+Apps is raised again (doesn't matter how much), then ringer volume would be restored to the original value.
Otherwise, don't touch the ringer volume.
If I want to listen to media, but I don't want ringer to come in, then the WP8.0-style ring+vibrate/vibrate button should do the job

It was implemented in Windows Mobile, and nobody complained about it

I would argue against that. There are some contacts that I ALWAYS want an audible alert from no matter what the volume of my apps or media are. If I set them to 0, my volume for certain contacts would also be 0.

It's kind of funny, the community has been asking for this level of flexibility, i.e. separate controls, for quite some time now. Now that it's been implemented, people are complaining.

Inferati

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I would argue against that. There are some contacts that I ALWAYS want an audible alert from no matter what the volume of my apps or media are. If I set them to 0, my volume for certain contacts would also be 0.

It's kind of funny, the community has been asking for this level of flexibility, i.e. separate controls, for quite some time now. Now that it's been implemented, people are complaining.

My feelings exactly, you just can't please people.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Its been working perfectly for me. But I do find it absolutely idiotic not to have separate volume controls while using Bluetooth or Headphones. THAT is the only time I actually want the separate volume controls!

Musaib124

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
What I find very annoying is, that when you hit the volume buttons, sometimes you are changing the Ringer + Notifications volume, and sometimes the Media + Apps volume. When I'm in Whatsapp or Facebook messenger, I would expect, when I hit the volume buttons, it simply changes the Ringer + Notifications volume. But no, it changes the Media + Apps volume even thought there is nothing of media going on. On the home screen, and in apps like SMS and the dial app, it changes the Ringer + Notifications volume. In the calendar app it changes the Media + Apps volume for god knows what reason. I'm finding the way this is chosen all over the place very annoying! I remember in Android you always changed the Ringer + Notifications volume unless there was real media sound going on, when you would use the buttons then, it would change the Media + Apps volume. Much better and predictable. The way it is now in WP8.1 is very very irritating!

I think mr genious facebook and whatsapp are apps so volume control bring media + apps controller... Use ur common sense before posting please. :))

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon