Lost MMS capability and Network Update (PRL update) after 8.1 update on Sprint

q21701

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
So I ran the update the other day, and had a few glitches and no data service. I did a hard reset, and I got back my data connection, but I have lost the ability to send and receive MMS messages. I also can't manually update my network settings (prl) as they seem to have disappeared. Additionally in my wallet, the option to use my sprint bill for app purchases has also vanished. Suggestions?

iknowsingh

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
So I ran the update the other day, and had a few glitches and no data service. I did a hard reset, and I got back my data connection, but I have lost the ability to send and receive MMS messages. I also can't manually update my network settings (prl) as they seem to have disappeared. Additionally in my wallet, the option to use my sprint bill for app purchases has also vanished. Suggestions?

I originally posted about this issue last Monday here - http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...may-screw-your-service-sprint-ativ-s-neo.html

Pretty much the end result after having posted on here and other forums and talking to others is that we'll have to wait for Sprint's official 8.1 release/firmware to fix these issues. In the meantime we'll have to live with no MMS, no store to bill purchases and no Sprint Apps section in the store. You're not alone in this... there are others lol.

The hard reset is what screws us all over. It erases pretty much everything carrier-related from the phone.

iknowsingh

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
So what your saying is Sprint's incompetence strikes again?

No, what I'm saying is that Microsoft didn't seem to properly optimize the preview (as evidenced by the many issues plaguing people). It seems something with doing a hard reset wipes carrier info from the phone and debrands it. At this point, it's up to the carrier to fix the problems introduced by Microsoft to cater to their devices since Microsoft obviously can't fix it (via firmware, etc.).

Don't let the Sprint hate on this site blind you... it's not always their fault.

Last edited:

fgr

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Try using Cortana to search for "Network Profile".

When it comes up, swipe to the left so you can see what it found on your phone. You should see network profile there. Click on it and it will take you to the network profile settings that are missing from the settings menu.

This seems to work, except for I still have no mms...

I read this n a thread over at xda. Doesn't seem to work for everyone, but it does for me :)

iknowsingh

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Try using Cortana to search for "Network Profile".

When it comes up, swipe to the left so you can see what it found on your phone. You should see network profile there. Click on it and it will take you to the network profile settings that are missing from the settings menu.

This seems to work, except for I still have no mms...

I read this n a thread over at xda. Doesn't seem to work for everyone, but it does for me :)

Very awesome find, kudos to the folks over at XDA Developers for this! I was able to find the network profile update using Cortana... very cool.

Since my original post, I've been able to get my hands on another ATIV S Neo which I updated to 8.1 from stock and THEN setup from scratch. No hard reset needed and so far no issues. I can MMS just fine... the only thing not working seems to be the Sprint Apps section of the store which isn't present, but everything else is fine.

The hard reset is definitely the culprit.. my previous ATIV S Neo is still sitting in my room MMS-less.. when Sprint/Samsung release their official firmware.. everything should be back to golden.

Joe Brockhaus

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
No, what I'm saying is that Microsoft didn't seem to properly optimize the preview (as evidenced by the many issues plaguing people). It seems something with doing a hard reset wipes carrier info from the phone and debrands it. At this point, it's up to the carrier to fix the problems introduced by Microsoft to cater to their devices since Microsoft obviously can't fix it (via firmware, etc.).

Don't let the Sprint hate on this site blind you... it's not always their fault.

Lemme fix this for you ;)
"Don't let the Microsoft hate in this post blind you .. it's not always their fault."

Besides, this was a condition to getting the developer preview to begin with (possibly voiding warranty and all the general issues around unlocking a phone), and in fact was one of the worries I had about resetting the device to get a 'clean' 8.1 install (to fix problems potentially introduced by the 'legacy' carrier-specific items on the phone).

To do the Cortana profile update, make sure you're connected to WiFi or it will fail to connect (perhaps that's obvious, but if you're used to data just working or assumed it might use the working cell signal, it's good to know).

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
You need to manually enter the APN. Your phone may or may not automatically grab the APN settings from your carrier: This had little to do with WP.
Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077