Mobile Data dropping out after 8.1

pietroroman

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Hello, having the same problem with three uk and a lumia 920 "unlocked" i purchased from computer exchange last year.

after the upgrade to 8.1 the data connection drops as toby states. i tried:

-soft reset
-hard reset
-i went to a three branch and they replaced the sim to make sure it's not a sim card issue and it's not
-my impression is that forcing down the phone to 3G only is not helping

my workaround is switching airplane mode once in a while during the day, but obviously the phone is still unusable.

i am really annoyed by this problem and, even worse, computer exchange says that the warranty is not an option for a software issue like this one

:-( i'm thinking seriously to switch to my first iphone after a a few lumias :-(

Toby Barrett

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Still following this up. Today I put a GiffGaff SIM in my phone and re-enabled background tasks for most apps - so far it's behaving itself. But then again I had good days with 3. Will give it a few days then may move my number if the problem does not reappear.

Spoke to 3 support who put me through to Nokia. Neither seemed aware of the problem.

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Another 3 customer here with a non-functioning 1020. Toggling flight mode brings data back but only for a few minutes. A factory reset has no effect.

pietroroman

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Hey toby, I read that Microsoft realeased today the first 8.1 update, with a lot of bug solved. Will you be able to check this update with your three simcard?

Cheers
Pietro

Toby Barrett

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Would love to test this new DP release, but am in the process of switching from 3 to Giffgaff. (Been meaning to change for a while, O2 coverage is better on my commute than 3 and price about the same.)

Suspect the data problem is firmware related so this new related probably won't fix it.

IanArg

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm experiencing the same and also a L1020 on Three UK. Only moved over from O2 this week and never had a problem previously!! Any resolutions yet for this problem? Anyone spoken to three? Oh and I'm on the latest 8.1 version...

dellywheel

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Lumia 1020 on 3 update : had a chat with Nokia about this problem and they advised using the Nokia Recovery Tool to reload the software. Tried this but it wont install, downloads the 1.4Gb file gets to 100% then fails on a generic network error message. 1020 is unusable after upgrading to 8.1 :( very frustrating

dellywheel

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Right guys I have had some success with fixing the 4G dropping after updating to windows phone 8.1

Click the link below and follow the (long) guide wit the important bit adding a new Access Point. If like me youre on 3 then you should see an active 3 UK point just add another one called 3 as the guide suggests and carefully add in all relevant details.

http://www.nokiatechsupport.co.uk/NokiaIMEIPage

been testing 4G for 2 days now and so far so good. Let me know if it works :)

tejedor1967

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem in my Lumia 1020 with 8.1 Developers Preview.

For those saying could be a matter of a named company I must say I'm in Spain using Simyo... so... no, it's not a problem with your provider and... no it's not a problem on the firmware of a specific model.

My workaround is setting ON flight-mode for half a minute and then set OFF the flight-mode and everything goes normal after another 10 or 20 seconds.

I will give a try to this http://www.nokiatechsupport.co.uk/NokiaIMEIPage and let you all know.

AzelDazel

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Same happening here.
Its like what happens when you use tethering without having it on your contract, three block all data after detecting it and have to reboot/flight mode to re enable.
Something with 8.1 possibly causing that?

dellywheel

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Ive gone back to 8.0 as it worked for a couple of days then back to normal dropping 4G having to swicth flight mode on and off which I cant be bothered with.

To go back to 8.0 I hard reset the phone (backup data first) then use the nokia recovery tool to reinstall 8.0

daniel_sherlock

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi got a text today from three *From Three: We've fixed the problem you reported. Please restart the device and try using your services again. Call us if you have any more problems. Thanks.*

Anyone still running 8.1 that had the issue can try it out. Gone back to 8 now cant try till next week a bit busy at the moment

IanArg

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Still not working for me... Tried adding the extra access point and tried restarting. Really getting frustrating, had no problems previously with o2. Guess I'll have to wait for the official release before I get a fix from Three.

Pondrew

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately it looks like Three UK customers with Windows Phone 8.1 are being blocked. Three network team have promised that they'll add an exception to my account to enable it to work for me but will take two days.

More info here
Data Connection Issues

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes