05-04-2014 10:47 AM
68 123
tools
    If your battery sucks since 8.1, don't open battery saver! It will stay open in the background and eat on your battery. So, if you do open it, immediately close it in the multitasking menu. Solved. If you find any other tasks that eat the battery in the background, post them here.
    04-26-2014 10:24 PM
    battery saver / calendar now suspends in background task.
    04-26-2014 11:43 PM
    While looking for new wp news about a week ago I came across a post from someone saying that turning Cortana off helps safe battery life..
    I checked my phone, but her battery use is moderate to say the least.. Just thought I'd share it anyways
    04-26-2014 11:45 PM
    To me, Cortana is worth the battery drain (if any). Lol
    ven07, DavidinCT and xandros9 like this.
    04-26-2014 11:48 PM
    I have disable this and now my battery back to normal:
    - Cortana disable from backround task, yes it will be disable some auto function of Cortana but if you want save more % battery better do not let Cortana run in the backround
    - Battery saver disable from backround task
    - Callendar disable from backround task
    - Store disable from backround task

what I allow it:
    whatsapp, facebook, twitter
    With 3G connection on, and normal usage my 720 come back life for more than 1 and a half days :)
    04-26-2014 11:55 PM
    I have disable this and now my battery back to normal:
    - Cortana disable from backround task, yes it will be disable some auto function of Cortana but if you want save more % battery better do not let Cortana run in the backround
    - Battery saver disable from backround task
    - Callendar disable from backround task
    - Store disable from backround task

what I allow it:
    whatsapp, facebook, twitter
    With 3G connection on, and normal usage my 720 come back life for more than 1 and a half days :)
    The Cortana battery drain problem isn't an issue for everybody.. It's weird :/
    anon(8657436) likes this.
    04-26-2014 11:58 PM
    I agree. I have no drain now that I fixed the battery thing.
    ven07 likes this.
    04-27-2014 12:00 AM
    the top culprit on my phone according to battery saver is Internet Explorer.
    Sigh
    04-27-2014 08:11 PM
    Well the most use app will use up the most power.
    xandros9 likes this.
    04-27-2014 11:10 PM
    Its not any one App, its the OS that is at fault here. Disabling this app or that won't help in the long run. The first App I found to be draining the battery was Skype, the phone was red hot until I forced quit it. Since then I have had the same issue with a number of different apps each time quitting them or soft resetting the phone cured it (till the next time). I suspect something in the OS that is used by apps is the culprit.
    04-27-2014 11:44 PM
    But battery saver will kill it. Period.
    mary beth hale and habanero61 like this.
    04-28-2014 12:00 AM
    interesting. i will try this.
    04-28-2014 01:10 AM
    I have been using the x to kill the app and I have no battery problems. I have opened it and used the back button to close it so I will see if I see any difference over the next few hours. I am currently using 0.2% per hour when the phone is on idle.
    04-28-2014 05:21 AM
    If we disable Cortrona from BG, can Quite hours n Cortona things(when i open cortona) work normally?
    04-28-2014 06:45 AM
    If we disable Cortrona from BG, can Quite hours n Cortona things(when i open cortona) work normally?
    As far as I know you cannot. Since quiet hours etc are linked to Cortana.
    xandros9 likes this.
    04-28-2014 06:50 AM
    As far as I know you cannot. Since quiet hours etc are linked to Cortana.
    My Opinion too Same, Cortona should be beyond these :D
    04-28-2014 07:02 AM
    But battery saver will kill it. Period.
    For you maybe, but for me it has been Skype, and Nextgen Reader, for others I have seen Cortana, IE and more. I don't honestly think its these programs but an underling OS issue. Just to make sure as I have seen confusion in other threads, I am talking about the issue where the phone heats up very hot and then battery is dead in under an hour from 100%.
    04-28-2014 08:37 AM
    04-28-2014 01:15 PM
    Even if it is....Isn't that the point of having 8.1 ? If your going to disable one of the primary features of 8.1 why not just stick with 8.0 ?

I've disabled a lot of stuff (look through my past posts for a list of what I disabled), I can get through a day on my ICON with MOST stuff but, if I start playing games, all I have to say is I better be near a charger... 5 min game (Real Racing 2 for example) will drop my battery by 10%.... and if your torwards the end of the day, that could be the phone killer for the night...

I still think there is slight drain after tweaking it but, I think that is something that will be adressed in the firmware when it's released as a final/RTM from Nokia...or Verizon in my case.
    04-28-2014 02:40 PM
    Even if it is....Isn't that the point of having 8.1 ? If your going to disable one of the primary features of 8.1 why not just stick with 8.0 ?

I've disabled a lot of stuff (look through my past posts for a list of what I disabled), I can get through a day on my ICON with MOST stuff but, if I start playing games, all I have to say is I better be near a charger... 5 min game (Real Racing 2 for example) will drop my battery by 10%.... and if your torwards the end of the day, that could be the phone killer for the night...

I still think there is slight drain after tweaking it but, I think that is something that will be adressed in the firmware when it's released as a final/RTM from Nokia...or Verizon in my case.
    Ehm some only wanted the notification center, updated calender and better volume control :) So no, not everyone was interested in Cortana
    04-28-2014 03:11 PM
    If Battery Saver is indeed causing battery issues, what exactly does disabling it do? That is, what is Battery Saver supposed to be doing in the background?
    04-28-2014 03:44 PM
    WiFi sense was my battery killer
    04-28-2014 04:07 PM
    I have been using the x to kill the app and I have no battery problems. I have opened it and used the back button to close it so I will see if I see any difference over the next few hours. I am currently using 0.2% per hour when the phone is on idle.
    Tried the phone today over the last 11 hours without closing the app in multitasking and I didn't find any difference. I have always had it set to run in the background but I used to close it properly.

I will try it tonight when I won't be using the phone at all and see.
    xandros9 likes this.
    04-28-2014 04:09 PM
    1. Set email to check once every two hours or so. Do NOT use as items arrive.
    2. Turn off WiFi Sense.
    3. Set brightness to low and then tick the set automatically one.
    4. Turn off periodical location saving in find my phone.
    5. Turn off auto-upload.
    6. Sign out of the services you don't frequently use. (ONLY AS AN EXTREME MEASURE, but it helps a lot. I don't do it though)
    7. Turn off everything in Sync my settings.
    8. Turn off the automatic quiet hours. (NOT TOO GOOD)
    9. TURN OFF LOCATION! That's one motha****a. Read tip below.
    10. Turn off feedback.
    11. Disable supersensitive toucj in touch.
    12. Try CONDITIONING your battery. Search for it.

[TIP]As of now the location services get triggered by individual applications and that leads to it being triggered as many times as the number of apps that are requesting it. (I can say this for sure as I see the location symbol coming up and going off 5 times consecutively after almost every 40 minutes or so.)
    This means that right now I have 5 apps namely Cortana, Bing Weather, Facebook Messenger, Weather HD and one is the setting that allows periodical saving of location to help find phone. It makes the battery consumption high as each app requests the data by using the connection (WiFi, cellular or just Cell ID) and that sucks!
    What if, Microsoft made a background process that would save all location related info (either online or offline as in on the cloud or on my phone) and push them to apps when they inquire the location. That would save a lot of precious power.[/TIP]

[INFO]What background tasks do what:
    1. STORE: It checks for updates periodically and updates live tiles.
    2. MUSIC: Signs you in and checks for any changes to XBM.
    3. CORTANA: Live tile, Quiet Hours, Location reminders (Not sure about Person reminders, never tested it)
    4. BATTERY SAVER: Dunno!!!
    5. PODCASTS: It literally does nothing that be seen with your eyes.
    6. CALENDAR: Live tile.[/INFO]
    xandros9 likes this.
    04-28-2014 05:40 PM
    1. Set email to check once every two hours or so. Do NOT use as items arrive.
    2. Turn off WiFi Sense.
    3. Set brightness to low and then tick the set automatically one.
    4. Turn off periodical location saving in find my phone.
    5. Turn off auto-upload.
    6. Sign out of the services you don't frequently use. (ONLY AS AN EXTREME MEASURE, but it helps a lot. I don't do it though)
    7. Turn off everything in Sync my settings.
    8. Turn off the automatic quiet hours. (NOT TOO GOOD)
    9. TURN OFF LOCATION! That's one motha****a. Read tip below.
    10. Turn off feedback.
    11. Disable supersensitive toucj in touch.
    12. Try CONDITIONING your battery. Search for it.

[TIP]As of now the location services get triggered by individual applications and that leads to it being triggered as many times as the number of apps that are requesting it. (I can say this for sure as I see the location symbol coming up and going off 5 times consecutively after almost every 40 minutes or so.)
    This means that right now I have 5 apps namely Cortana, Bing Weather, Facebook Messenger, Weather HD and one is the setting that allows periodical saving of location to help find phone. It makes the battery consumption high as each app requests the data by using the connection (WiFi, cellular or just Cell ID) and that sucks!
    What if, Microsoft made a background process that would save all location related info (either online or offline as in on the cloud or on my phone) and push them to apps when they inquire the location. That would save a lot of precious power.[/TIP]

[INFO]What background tasks do what:
    1. STORE: It checks for updates periodically and updates live tiles.
    2. MUSIC: Signs you in and checks for any changes to XBM.
    3. CORTANA: Live tile, Quiet Hours, Location reminders (Not sure about Person reminders, never tested it)
    4. BATTERY SAVER: Dunno!!!
    5. PODCASTS: It literally does nothing that be seen with your eyes.
    6. CALENDAR: Live tile.[/INFO]
    Well I might as well just leave my phone at home then !

This will not fix the issue of the sudden massive CPU usage that drains the battery completely from 100% in 1 hr. This is the worst issue, not the slight increase in usage by the 8.1 features.
    MikeSo likes this.
    04-28-2014 05:54 PM
68 123