my 520 can not work if I want to use cellular data, what's wrong?

gameson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
is there any data setup i need to do? the sim card on the phone was used before on galaxy captivate (the first galaxy), and cellular data works fine on the galaxy S. so i know it's not my data plan or sim card because the same sim card works in Galaxy S for cellular data.

but data can not work on my lumia 520 if i turn the wifi off. Under cellular, i already see my data settings as ON, i uncheck the 'always restrict background data', check the 'restrict background data when roaming'.

do i have to 'add internet apn'? my carrier is AT&T.

thanks.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
You probably need a new SIM and ask AT&T to double check your data plan to see if it is properly provisioned. Capativate/Galaxy S1 is a really old 3G phone. A lot has changed since then.

gameson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
You probably need a new SIM and ask AT&T to double check your data plan to see if it is properly provisioned. Capativate/Galaxy S1 is a really old 3G phone. A lot has changed since then.

yes, it is old phone, but it is a smartphone too, so i would think if the same sim works on S1, it should work on this since both are smart phone...

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
yes, it is old phone, but it is a smartphone too, so i would think if the same sim works on S1, it should work on this since both are smart phone...

AT&T shouldn't charge for a new SIM. When I had connectivity issues in the past, I requested a new SIM from AT&T, and they provided one free of charge.

Jose_Rey

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
The first thing you should do is restart your phone. And I mean...just turn it off and then on. Check to see if you have internet. If you don't, you can manually set it up under settings>cellular>edit internet apn> in the apn section type pta Leave everything else blank. Save it and try your internet. It should work. If that doesn't work, there is one more apn you can try..delete pta and type in wap.cingular if none of these work, then Houston, you have a problem.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

No, not the same. The new phone is set to prefer 4G or LTE signals (520 probably don't have LTE) over 3G. Your old phone is 3G only. The problem is AT&T also requires data plan to be provisioned properly before any of your phone can use 4G or LTE. New SIM card is also needed for 4G or LTE as well.

gameson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
No, not the same. The new phone is set to prefer 4G or LTE signals (520 probably don't have LTE) over 3G. Your old phone is 3G only. The problem is AT&T also requires data plan to be provisioned properly before any of your phone can use 4G or LTE. New SIM card is also needed for 4G or LTE as well.

I see. In that case, if your hypothesis is correct, how do i set my 520 to be a 3G only for AT&T? I do not need 4G data if i can use 3G just fine.

I looked up some youtube videos, but I do not see the highest speed setting option on my 520. the 520 has the latest Lumia Black OS. Thanks.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It depends on the firmware on your phone. If you have an AT&T branded phone running AT&T ROM, there is no option to choose.

Just go get a new AT&T SIM card (it is free from AT&T store) and ask AT&T to provision your data plan correctly.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I had problems with LTE, did a chat with tech support and she sent me a new sim priority mail. It actually came the next day, all free. Then I went back to the chat and they got it going in less than a minute. (I would have just went to the store. But I didn't want to wait 3 hours while people spin around and do nothing.)

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes