Restore stuck at 21%

malih

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I've been wanting to do a hard reset because of several issues, but the earlier WP8.1 release was unable to backup to the cloud succesfully.
Yesterday I updated my WP8.1 with the latest update, and finally able to backup to the cloud succesfully.

So I finally did a hard reset earlier today for my 620, and I connected to WiFi and login to MS Account to restore, no issues, that is until Restoring backup.
The restore process is stuck at 21%, and has been there for about an hour.
There's an alert that constantly pops up every few minutes and ask whether I want to stop restore or keep going.

Can anyone offer an insight whether I should leave it or stop restore, and maybe how to do a faster restore.

crop_IMG_3291.jpg
crop_IMG_3292.jpg

Last edited:

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Just log on to onedrive.com and look at the left side and click on the button "Devices". If you can see one or more backups there, you can safely stop restoring and hard reset again and try to restore this time. The speed usually has to do with the amount of media on the device and it is always better to remove your SD card during resets.

malih

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Thank you Ashhar Hasan.
I re-restored after removing SD Card, and the process went smoothly.
I'm not sure whether the issue is actually caused by SD Card, but I have restored successfully and that's what matters.

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
It may not be the SD Card. Most probably it was a random error.
But once I had this problem where my screen did not display anything apart from windows and nokia logo at startup. I hard reset using the "key combination" and my SD Card's Images and Music was wiped completely. So I guess, you're lucky.

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
It may not be the SD Card. Most probably it was a random error.
But once I had this problem where my screen did not display anything apart from windows and nokia logo at startup. I hard reset using the "key combination" and my SD Card's Images and Music was wiped completely. So I guess, you're lucky.

mayblast

May 10, 2014
Visit site
I am having this same issue - though mine is stuck at 25%.
Most if not all my stuff is in SD card. What you are saying I can stop restoring, turn the phone off, remove the SD and re-try the hard reset?

mayblast

May 10, 2014
Visit site
No, removing SD card before hard reset did nothing to me, still stuck at 25% wiithout explanations. How reliable system this MS backup is, wow :/

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
mine is stuck at 21% now. no sd card. I hit stop restore and went ahead....
There is nothing there -_-

I'm gonna reset and try again :(

SwizzleSoftware

May 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm also getting this...get stuck at random points...21%, 25%, 85%. I have now tried about 10 times and I cant get the restore working. Seriously, cant believe it could be so hard to do this? Does anyone have any suggestions, tried the SD Card stuff, but no luck?

JimiDiGriz

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
I've also got this problem. If I wait will it kick back in if I leave it at 21%? Bit wary about stopping and resetting again.

ikazpk

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I was on WP 8.1 Developers Preview & wasn't able 2 install Update 1 bcaz of error... Read somewhere that u can reset the phone & then try again 2 get the Update 1....so I did & now I've Update 1 but when I try 2 restore the backup, it just gets stuck at 25%... Tried about 10 times with no luck... Really really pissed off as I can't get my data back on the phone.... The more I've kept myself loyal 2 Windows Phone from WP7 times, with the hopes that it will come on par with other OS soon, the more it gets annoying...

Vikram Murkute

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Mine was stuck at 21% too.. first time around since I was not around the phone, I guess it timed out and restored partially.. However then I did a hard reset the second time and was monitoring the progress actively.

Each time it asked me for 'stop restore' or 'keep going', I kept going and voila! all my backed stuff was restored to the T!

When is comes to microsoft, I guess patience pays :)

mistersniffles33

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
so do i just take the battery out to stop the restoring? Or is there another way? because i cant see one other than that or saying continue on without finishing the restore. And how do i soft ad hard reset the phone?

Last edited:

Byron Holmes

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
Removing the SD and the SIM worked for me as well.

Actually, since I did it in that order, I don't know if removing the SD was part of my solution.

In my area, AT&T reception is terrible and I suspect that somehow during the restore process the phone was trying to utilize the cellular connection.

I have an AT&T MicroCell that will allow me to get a cellular signal after the phone is restored.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium