8 --> 8.1 --> 8

rowenr98

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I had been running the 8.1 preview for a while on my Lumia 928 (for Verizon), until that device fell last week and the screen stopped functioning (everything else was good- still getting messages and such). Today, my replacement came in from Verizon (running 8.0) and, after signing in and going through the traditional 8.0 set up procedure, I installed the preview for devs and got it running 8.1 immediately. Unfortunately, nothing that I had backed up on the previous device synced over to the new 8.1, which I think is due to the jump backwards to 8.0 that happened for a brief moment in the middle. I'm wondering...if I reset the phone (through Settings-about-reset phone), will I be given the option to restore my 8.1 backup? I really liked how it was set up and I'd love to have it back. If the reset won't work, is there another way to restore my backups? Thanks.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Might be a good thing you can't use a restore file. When I first upgraded to 8.1, I just did the update without doing a hard reset. After a couple of weeks, I decided to start from scratch so I flashed back to 8.0, did the Verizon update available, then did a hard reset again.

Then I did the 8.1 upgrade plus the MS first update for 8.1. I then loaded the programs one at a time and I haven't had a burp since. Long winded response but I would suggest starting from scratch with your upgrade.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Backup saves multiple backups based on device. I would hard reset now that you have 8.1 and see what backups are available when you log in.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
It also may depend on what you want restored. After I hard reset my 822 I was able to get all my texts back without restoring a backup. My mail, calendar and contacts all came back when I signed into my Microsoft account. That was all I was hoping for. If you're looking for a more comprehensive backup, you might have to do a hard reset then pick a backup to restore like gapost mentioned above.

rowenr98

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I just did it, and everything worked out fine. All my settings were brought back (had to type in some passwords again but nbd), start screen (picture, layout, theme, etc.) is back, apps are downloading automatically, and even my Cortana interests and Action Center layout are the same. Perfect!

AskaLangly

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 822 @ 8.0: backed up in mid-April.
Lumia 822 @ 8.1: backed up May 10th.
Lumia 822 bricks with infamous "Unable to find a bootable option" error.
Lumia Icon is the replacement phone; 8.0.
Logs into MS account, asks which backup to use: only one available is April's.
Clean slate, installed Dev Preview app, asks to install 8.1.
Once installed, resetted the phone.
Logged back in to MS account: saw the May 10th backup.

So yes, you see 8.1 backups if you're on 8.1, but not on 8.0.
Likewise you only see your 8.0 backups on 8.0.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes