It's kind of amazing that we don't have timer, stopwatch or compass....

Rindika Fanai

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
We have these..for me its hard to believe that after all these years we don't have a 3g /4g only mode... it suckz when you're in an area with low 3g network coverage and the network keeps on switching back to Edge which drains the battery really fast..i know there are mod's for that but i have to flash my phone again since i already updated to 8.1 preview.. I got sick of it so i'm finally gonna use my dad's new galaxy s5

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
There are plenty of app you can download from store. I have no need for compass but got Stopwatch Pro+ simple and beautiful app from Nokia

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
We have these..for me its hard to believe that after all these years we don't have a 3g /4g only mode... it suckz when you're in an area with low 3g network coverage and the network keeps on switbacking back to Edge..this drains the battery really fast..i know there are mod's for that but i have to flash my phone again since i already updated to 8.1 preview.. I got sick of it so i'm finally gonna use my dad's new galaxy s5

Well it's either fall back to a stronger signal than having none at all, surely? As that is what would happen if locked onto 3/4G in a low signal area.

anon(5344611)

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Maybe part of the reason is to let developers fill the gaps. However, I'd expect the Alarms app on Windows to be ported to Windows Phone, which would make sense (although I'd prefer a more native look and feel, like Stopwatch+).

Kunal Dudwadkar

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
I agree, there is a real need to get that 3G Lock, I don't mind my phone being out of signal for a few moments but the auto mode is a serious battery drain. I can't even use skype or browse because the phone falls back to 2G which is embarrassing in front of my android friends. So many updates, yet Microsoft/Nokia is neglecting this minimalistic feature for god knows what reasons !

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
3 years in and they cannot figure these out? I serious think they should fire Joe Belfiore....

Fire him for a dumb app you can download from the store? What are you smoking?? I mean, do you constantly get lost that you need to know which direction North is on a daily basis?

I'm glad they are not built in to the OS because I don't need a timer app or a stopwatch app or a compass app built in taking up space on my device. If you need one then download one from the store and move on with your life.

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
We have these..for me its hard to believe that after all these years we don't have a 3g /4g only mode... it suckz when you're in an area with low 3g network coverage and the network keeps on switching back to Edge which drains the battery really fast..i know there are mod's for that but i have to flash my phone again since i already updated to 8.1 preview.. I got sick of it so i'm finally gonna use my dad's new galaxy s5

If you are in a low 3G area, and you want to conserve battery, then you should set to 2G only. The battery drain is precisely because the phone is continually hunting for the weak 3G signal. Using 3G/4G only would not have helped.

jobinthomas

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
No system audio recorder app. I realized this when my mom wanted to record something and she was asking me how to do it. We downloaded an app, but simple things like these are ones that I'd expect a system app for.

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Timer & Stopwatch: Avirall Time Suite
Compass: Jack of Tools Pro
Audio Recording: Voice Memos

All excellent apps. Jack of Tools Pro could use some metro UI polish, but functionality is all there.

herbertsnow

Banned
Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
No system audio recorder app. I realized this when my mom wanted to record something and she was asking me how to do it. We downloaded an app, but simple things like these are ones that I'd expect a system app for.

Onenote records audio. I use it all the time. With Cortana just say note and record your note after the prompt.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site

If that's true it is indeed kind if amazing. Phones have been switching between 2G and 3G for more than a decade and it doesn't normally cause any problems. Maybe you have a faulty device?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon