#1 way to help WP grow and get gamers excited. Windows should support Xbox one/360 controllers nativ

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Let me know if you agree, or what you think. Obviously there is a app gap. But even with that if gamers could use their existing Xbox controllers to play WP games it would be a game changer (pun aside). Even with the gap it would be an exciting development that I think would strongly encourage people to buy into the WP community.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft is working on this, JamesPTao. At the //build conference in April, they demonstrated their universal OS for the developers there. It would enable devs to build once and run on WP, Windows Tablets, PCs, and XBone. The devs were excited because it would grow their audience/market exponentially.

It will be sweet. One OS on every device.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
ehhh, I'm really skeptical.

What games would take advantage of that?
It could be awkward since you have to prop up the phone somehow.

I don't think its going to be the magic bullet you try to sell it as, but hey, won't say no.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
ehhh, I'm really skeptical.

What games would take advantage of that?
It could be awkward since you have to prop up the phone somehow.

I don't think its going to be the magic bullet you try to sell it as, but hey, won't say no.

No argument that some games won't play well on phones and probably won't be tweaked to fit the tiny screen. But if they could deliver a game that could be played on Xbox or PC? Hell yeah.

BTW, I do have a stand for my phone that I bought here on WPC. The Amzer Shellster... the holster works great for a desktop stand and the kickstand has a 360? rotation. I use it without the shell case on my gorgeous red Lumia 920. And the price is right at about $15. I binge-watched House of Cards on Netflix while rebuilding my Dell beast.

Would I use a game controller with my 920? Probably not. But I am enjoying WSOP Full House Pro on the PC while other players are on the couch with their Xbox version.

The point is, after watching the //build conference videos, I think Microsoft is committed to cross-platform compatibility and they're counting the Xbox as another platform through which to deliver apps and games.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I like playing games on the phone but feel having my fingers cover part of the screen is annoying and no tactile feedback suck. Being able to use a controller I already own that is great would make me game more. If part of the os they could offer a layer or the coding for game writers to put in their game allowing all games to fun too on it. It might nit be a game changer but i guarantee it would spur many people on the fence to give WP a try.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I like playing games on the phone but feel having my fingers cover part of the screen is annoying and no tactile feedback suck. Being able to use a controller I already own that is great would make me game more. If part of the os they could offer a layer or the coding for game writers to put in their game allowing all games to fun too on it. It might nit be a game changer but i guarantee it would spur many people on the fence to give WP a try.

I agree. I'm not much one for RPGs, but my daughter is. I'm trying to imagine Mabinogi or Smite on a small screen. She keeps so many panes open with equipment inventories, skills, and such. I have a hard enough time with Another Case Solved and just a single split screen and a leisurely pace.

Nonetheless, I'd applaud any effort that has potential for getting more people on Windows phones and therefore, more devs on Windows phones...

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I may not have been completely clear. Athough having Xbox sytem games on the phone would be cool I meant being able to natively use the Xbox controller on WP to play WP games.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I may not have been completely clear. Athough having Xbox sytem games on the phone would be cool I meant being able to natively use the Xbox controller on WP to play WP games.

Thank you for clarifying. I'm not a dev, but I'm trying to imagine how that would work -- you want a single game that would work with a controller, but for users who don't have a controller, it could be played using touch or accelerometer or both (ie, Asphalt 8). Do Xbox controllers have accelerometers so that tilting the controller would be like tilting the phone itself?

WP games use touch the way you'd use a mouse on the PC. Isn't that very different from the way Xbox games allow you to use a controller from across the room?

Do you have specific WP games in mind that would work with controller or touch?

iNoPhone

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Using a Xbox controller on a Lumia 1320/1520 would be awesome. I don't understand why MS didn't include this feature on 8.1.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Using a Xbox controller on a Lumia 1320/1520 would be awesome. I don't understand why MS didn't include this feature on 8.1.
lol microsoft were showing of xbox live when wp7 was released, why did they stop, why don't they improve the games app for xbox one avhievements and seeing who is online. I'm really confused because xbox live is something that stands out from the other phones. I think it has something to do with the separate teams at microsoft not sharing code or working together.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
lol microsoft were showing of xbox live when wp7 was released, why did they stop, why don't they improve the games app for xbox one avhievements and seeing who is online. I'm really confused because xbox live is something that stands out from the other phones. I think it has something to do with the separate teams at microsoft not sharing code or working together.

The games hub does have achievements and friends features. Go to games hub, swipe to see the screen to the right (social). There are 4 green icons. First is achievements, second is profile, third is messages, fourth is friends... and you can add friends if you know their gamertag.

Without an xbox console, I've only racked up 2370 points on the xbox live games I play, but who's counting?

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
The games hub does have achievements and friends features. Go to games hub, swipe to see the screen to the right (social). There are 4 green icons. First is achievements, second is profile, third is messages, fourth is friends... and you can add friends if you know their gamertag.
Without an xbox console, I've only racked up 2370 points on the xbox live games I play, but who's counting?
it doesn't show xbox one achievements and i meant that it does have an option to notify you when a friend comes online.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
it doesn't show xbox one achievements and i meant that it does have an option to notify you when a friend comes online.

Fair enough. Perhaps what Microsoft lacks is an integration department. People whose sole purpose is to see how many ways they can enhance communication between apps, between apps and the OS, and between platforms.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for clarifying. I'm not a dev, but I'm trying to imagine how that would work -- you want a single game that would work with a controller, but for users who don't have a controller, it could be played using touch or accelerometer or both (ie, Asphalt 8). Do Xbox controllers have accelerometers so that tilting the controller would be like tilting the phone itself?

WP games use touch the way you'd use a mouse on the PC. Isn't that very different from the way Xbox games allow you to use a controller from across the room?

Do you have specific WP games in mind that would work with controller or touch?

Yes without the controller touch and accelerometer would take over. With the controller the joysticks would control moving and the buttons be assignable. I would love to use it for my super Nintendo emulator. For my space shooting games. They could even write in to use the rumble feature on the controller. If the code was built into the os it would allow all games to work with it as long as the apps updated to allow it.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I have Samsung phones with native controller support. Great for racing, shooting games. I have a 1520. I know the game portfolio I already have would have been awesome if some had controller support. I have Sony Xperia S Tablet and play Shadowgun:Dead Zone, dead space, and Nova 3 (which is on WP) with native Sony Playstation controller support and also Modern Combat 4 could really use controller support. Playing with the onscreen buttons on any touch screen is fatiguing, bad for your screen because we get excited and press too hard.
Yeah, sad thing is my friend with a Nokia Symbian 808 can use an Xbox and Wii controller with it.

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
XBox One/360 controller support in Windows phone would be an amazing add-on. I can so imagine using the controller to play Halo: Spartan Assault, Modern Combat Series, Asphalt 8, and Pokemon Blue on the VBA8 emulator.
It would be awesome.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes