Is this time to give up on windows 10 mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I don't think I could answer that for you, wouldn't that depend on you and how you use your devices?

I'm just a part of the minority that use Windows phones so the question seems irrelevant?

So, how could continuum be a better "fishing lure" than all the uniqueness than MS gave away?

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I refer to Daniels post earlier this week. Microsoft wants to reinvent Mobile. Not just put out another OS & Hardware. I personally am patient and am willing to wait another 6 months to see what's on the horizon. I've been in this way too long to jump ship now.

I think Daniel was just guessing? I.e. I can guess it will be sunny on Wednesday but it is hardly relevant (without ANY indications/proofs)...

Last edited:

Nemesis-X

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
What I'd really like to see is Microsoft and Google bury the hatchet and for Google to start promoting their apps and services on Windows Phone in SPITE of the the low market share. I feel that having Google services on WP would bring many people over to the MSFT hardware if it was available and updated.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I can see Microsoft come out with a Surface phone and show these OEMs how to make a phone, like they did with Surface Pro and Surface Book.

Hardware never was the issue. If it was, the alliance with Nokia would have taken care of it.

The problem is the OS and its ecosystem. Microsoft can make 10x better hardware than the others, but it will go nowhere until the software is capable.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Hardware never was the issue. If it was, the alliance with Nokia would have taken care of it.

The problem is the OS and its ecosystem. Microsoft can make 10x better hardware than the others, but it will go nowhere until the software is capable.

Good hardware like the Surface line get people's attention. November is a good month to start with. Xbox is getting Windows 10. Windows 10 mobile phones are coming out too.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Good hardware like the Surface line get people's attention.

True, but the Surface has good software and an ecosystem. It grabs attention because the differentiation between it and the others (HP, Dell, Lenovo) is hardware. The OS and ecosystem are identical.

There has been plenty of good hardware running WP. It has not drawn attention that amounted to much.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
True, but the Surface has good software and an ecosystem. It grabs attention because the differentiation between it and the others (HP, Dell, Lenovo) is hardware. The OS and ecosystem are identical.

There has been plenty of good hardware running WP. It has not drawn attention that amounted to much.

If they released a Surface phone, they will give it a Surface treatment and advertise it a lot more than these past Nokia phones with exclusive carriers. Exclusive carriers and little advertisement won't have a lot people to buy the phones. This is why Europe is doing way better.

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Is it worse?

”Worse” as in in it will be very hard for MS to fight Google/Apple with Continuum vs apps and programs that people actually use...

Can anyone imagine a company saying “no, we do not need apps as long as we get Continuum” or youngsters saying “well, I do not care if I can not use my bank or get the app for the next music festival, airline, travel agent, school etc as long as I get Continuum”...

I guess however that more than a few could have argued, “I’m sad to lose the apps but I can accept it as long as I get Office, OneDrive, Xbox, OfficeLens, OneNote, Outlook etc”.

3% was the peak for WP/W10M and without anything extra but a lot less (vs competition) it will only lose more and more interest.

BlackGoku

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
everything is great except one major thing- apps. If ms focuses on them maybe in my opinion hire or buy or pay top developers then Windows Phone will beat the crap out of ios and droid. Rest everything wp has is better than both the other os. I just hope ms takes quick steps.

sinisfree

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
I agree that not much reason for other os users to switch to wm10.
That continuum wont be enough. Beside with google plan to merge android and chrome os, seem they will Also offer their own continuum.

izik770

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I agree that not much reason for other os users to switch to wm10.
That continuum wont be enough. Beside with google plan to merge android and chrome os, seem they will Also offer their own continuum.
I think the big problem now is to keep current WP users. Other os users? I really don't know!

sumton

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
after years of windows phone i lost my patience last month i went to the nearest store and i bought my first android phone i gave Microsoft the chance to do more but everything moving slowly.

the only way right now for me to use windows phone again if i get one for free other than that i'll keep my android for a year or two before jumping back to windows phone. i'll keep reading the news and watching the upcoming events as usual.

Svein Otterlei1

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
For me it's not the time to give up on Win 10 Mobile, but the way things are developing, it's heading for that direction, unfortunately.
I started in may with my first windows phone (Lumia 930) and the 8.1 gave me a good impression. The ease of use, like the typical NOKIA EASE OF USE menu's that mosttly makes sense, Now being a part of the insider program for some time, I must admit, I'm sceptic. Microsoft is heading away from the Nokia Ease of use, and the menus are more confusing. Some additions like integrating Skype into messages, and the message center pisses me off.
First of all: The message center should be optional. Second: If choosing to use message center, I should be able to decide what I want to be shown in it.
When I open Messages on my phone, there are all recent Skype conversations, presented as messages..................I don't need that. Messages is for me, SMS/MMS..........if I want any other additions (like Skype) that should be my option, not Microsofts.
So basically, what I mean is: What Microsoft think I want ,and makes it default), that should be presented as an OPTION to add. That will give any win phone user the opportunity to customize the phone, just as wanted. In that case Message center won't **** me off.
I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but I belive there will be someone out there :)
So please Microsoft: Give me a basic OS which is Nokia Easy To Use, and give me the option to add functionality based on MY needs.

BenGutt

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I too am frustrated with the lack of progress on Windows phones. I loved my 920, only replacing it with a 1020 due to the camera. They had to prise the 920 out of my hand!

My 1020 has now started to make the scream when taking pictures so it'll need fixing asap (warranty runs out in Jan). I've wanted a replacement since my contract expired a year ago and there just hasn't been a worthy successor to the 1020. I'm disappointed with the shot to shot time, and overall speed of the phone at times.

The 950 is looking good, but that could just be because it's shiny and new.

My main priority is the camera, a good camera and that's me sold. I started to look at the android offerings (I have allergies to partially eaten fruit), and I narrowed it down to a Galaxy S6 and a LG G4. Then I saw the UI, it's been a while since I had my last android, 3 years in fact. Nothing seems to have changed, it seems to still have the old Windows 3.1 Progman.exe ui. I just can't go back to that.

So I will almost certainly get the 950 despite it's lack of developer support and hope, just hope, that things get better. If not at least I've got a UI that I like, with a web browser that does most of what the apps that I'm missing do anyway.

M7H

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
When I open Messages on my phone, there are all recent Skype conversations, presented as messages..................I don't need that. Messages is for me, SMS/MMS..........if I want any other additions (like Skype) that should be my option, not Microsofts.
So basically, what I mean is: What Microsoft think I want ,and makes it default), that should be presented as an OPTION to add. That will give any win phone user the opportunity to customize the phone, just as wanted. In that case Message center won't **** me off.

Actually, you can have SMS/MMS messaging, and Skype Messaging seperated, but they stay in the messaging app.
Just unlink the contact persons profile in People, of who you have both there phone number, and skype info from.....
If you link both persons profile in people, you get an "iMessage" like experience, where SMS/MMS and Skype are integrated in 1 conversation.

BenGutt

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Actually, you can have SMS/MMS messaging, and Skype Messaging seperated, but they stay in the messaging app.
Just unlink the contact persons profile in People, of who you have both there phone number, and skype info from.....
If you link both persons profile in people, you get an "iMessage" like experience, where SMS/MMS and Skype are integrated in 1 conversation.

What would make more sense is for Skype to synchronise the read status. I'm fed up of using Skype on my pc all day to find I have 324 unread messages on my mobile that have been read on my PC hours ago. I'm going to miss important sms messages as I'm now ignoring the glance notification.

svtfmook

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
i gave up
after about a month with a 735, i just cannot stand the super crappy facebook app and the lack of a real facebook pages manager app.
windows 10 is an improvement, but, the windows camera is just such a huge downgrade over the lumia camera. the camera is[was] the only drawing point windows phone had, so unless they suddenly figure out the camera, and develop a functional app as basic and widely used as facebook, microsoft may as well nail up that coffin.

thegamevg

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
i gave up
after about a month with a 735, i just cannot stand the super crappy facebook app and the lack of a real facebook pages manager app.
windows 10 is an improvement, but, the windows camera is just such a huge downgrade over the lumia camera. the camera is[was] the only drawing point windows phone had, so unless they suddenly figure out the camera, and develop a functional app as basic and widely used as facebook, microsoft may as well nail up that coffin.

Can't blame you for your lack of patience...the OS/app experience didn't meet your needs, so you switched away after just a month.
The universal Facebook app is coming though - and I'm pretty sure they won't dump the stellar lumia camera app altogether as it still remains one of the few apps that isn't available on other platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb