Windows 8 hate

drjekel_mrhyde

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Most of the people I talk to hate that the tiles are too colorful. If Microsoft made them transparent or let uses change the colors there wouldn't be anymore comparision to old AOL UI from 2 decades ago. I know most of you seen this picture on websites beforeaol.png

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
We have one non touch laptop (Wife's) and one with (Mine) along with a couple of Surfaces. Touch screens are better than non touch screens regardless of OS and are the future.

I have no problem using either my or my wife's laptop, to be honest I very rarely use the touchscreen on my laptop.

There are a couple of things worth doing. Learn a few keyboard shortcuts like Windows key + D brings up the desktop, WK+C brings up the charms on the right, there are a few more useful ones for tabbing etc.

Arrange the Start (Tiles page) to suit you, I would unpin every tile bar one, then only pin the ones you use, then name each section so for example the main one I call Home, in this section I have mail, music and other every day tiles, then I have an Internet section for the Internet Explorer and Bing tiles plus any other Internet short cuts, then an Office section for (Well you can guess what for), it's up to you, you can arrange your tiles page how you want, you will then find your productivity going up.

Bob

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Windows 8 is more like a failure when you compare with Windows 7.
Windows 7 market share still increasing where as w8 started decreasing now.
That a proof that most users don't like it.
I used W8 for 2 months. Seems cool to me but then due to some problem I went back w7 and I noticed I do my work faster on w7 than w8.

Productivity is more important for me than looks. And this where W8 fails.

DER1996

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I used W8 for 2 months. Seems cool to me but then due to some problem I went back w7 and I noticed I do my work faster on w7 than w8.

Productivity is more important for me than looks. And this where W8 fails.
Which version of windows 8 did you use , 8.0 or 8.1 update , because while I agree windows 7 is more productive than 8.0 , 8.1 update is at least on par when it comes to productivity ( although that is subjective ) , in terms of raw speed 8.x is a lot faster than 7 , it's been noted by a lot of reviewers and I can confirm it personally . At the end I think it's because of the drop of familiarity. I mean the original 8.0 saw the start button gone and horrible one size snap only ( which I can't imagine I lived with at the beginning) these change + Sinofsky's determination = a new windows vista in terms of marketing and familiarity ( although I find the looks really good with 8.1 they still need work ) BUT NOT in SPEED AND STABILITY . In a nutshell , boneheaded design teams that thought one OS for all meant the EXACT SAME UI for all , are those to blame , but the same teams are redeeming themselves with windows 9 which looks promising ;) but it's better be free :p

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Which version of windows 8 did you use , 8.0 or 8.1 update , because while I agree windows 7 is more productive than 8.0 , 8.1 update is at least on par when it comes to productivity ( although that is subjective ) , in terms of raw speed 8.x is a lot faster than 7 , it's been noted by a lot of reviewers and I can confirm it personally . At the end I think it's because of the drop of familiarity. I mean the original 8.0 saw the start button gone and horrible one size snap only ( which I can't imagine I lived with at the beginning) these change + Sinofsky's determination = a new windows vista in terms of marketing and familiarity ( although I find the looks really good with 8.1 they still need work ) BUT NOT in SPEED AND STABILITY . In a nutshell , boneheaded design teams that thought one OS for all meant the EXACT SAME UI for all , are those to blame , but the same teams are redeeming themselves with windows 9 which looks promising ;) but it's better be free :p

I was using W8.1.
And I agree that W8.1 is faster than W7 but still.

I think metro UI is more about looks than productivity.
At least for now.

I hope it will solved in W9.

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I am actually really happy with the Windows 8.1. And I used to be the crowd that hated on Windows 8 when it first came out.

I have now upgraded my Dell workstation to Windows 8.1 and I also bought a Dell Venue 11 Pro to complete my Windows 8.1 computing.

With the modern apps such as mail and calendar, I know it has increased my productivity. Before on my Windows 7, I would have to go to my outlook website to check the calendar and my mail. Now, I get a notification right away when a mail arrives. There are mail notification clients for web browsers available , but it is just not the same as having the notification come straight from the OS.

Also, metro apps such as Hyper (for Youtube) and Ratchet (for Worldstar Hiphop) make it easier for entertainment as well since I do not have to sift through the actual website or videos anymore.

One thing I ask for Microsoft is that they make Windows 9 free for Windows 8.1 and 7 users. Seeing how bad Windows 8 was received at launch, I think they could benefit from the free distribution.

ozaz

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Can someone logically explain why 8 & 8.1 are not suitable for mouse and keyboard users, and for business use? I may install 8.1 soon and I'd like to know if it's media bull or if you actually have a significant impact on your work flow after you beat the learning curve.

Windows 8.1 is fine for mouse, keyboard, and business use. I'm actually a big fan of the new start screen even though I use a non-touch laptop.

But there are very real issues with businesses upgrading. Most employees don't care about their computers or exploring the UI themselves, so (unlike those on this forum, or home users with spare time) will need to be trained on the UI changes in Windows 8. Also, there is the issue of testing compatibility with old programs (I have at least one program that runs in 7 but not in 8 for example). I also assume there are new administrative challenges/decisions to make now that OneDrive is integrated into Windows 8. This costs businesses money, and since there were no major improvements in the desktop in Win 8 (I know there are some, but nothing ground-breaking), what's the point in them moving beyond Windows 7 until they absolutely have to? Waiting also has the benefit that once they do upgrade, more employees will already be familiar with 8 through new home PCs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2