Community Opinion Wanted - Waiting for upgrade

shakermaker41

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Hey Folks,

I don't really post here often but I would love some opinions on something. My official Verizion upgrade date is late November, but I recently accidentally relaxed in a hot tub for 15 minutes with my 928 in my pocket and now its a stone cold brick.

I'm tempted to call up and see if I can get an early upgrade (to the Icon, most likely). If I can get an early upgrade, what is everyone's gut feeling about new Verizon phones? I would kick myself if I upgraded to the Icon and then find a new high-end phone arrive on VZW later this year. From what I read, the only two "flagship" phones on the horizon are the M8 and Icon and there's literally nothing else in the pipeline that we know of, right?

SO THE QUESTION:
What would you guys do? Wait until November in case something new gets announced, while using ancient tech for the next 3 months. Or bite the bullet and go with the Icon (or M8)? My gut tells me there is no way Microsoft will head into the holiday season with the Icon and the M8 as their only high end phones, right?

Opinions wanted!

shakermaker41

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Well I'd probably pick the Icon over the M8, but basically you are saying that you don't think there will be any new WP flagship devices this holiday season, so I may as well upgrade now?

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Hey Folks,

I don't really post here often but I would love some opinions on something. My official Verizion upgrade date is late November, but I recently accidentally relaxed in a hot tub for 15 minutes with my 928 in my pocket and now its a stone cold brick.

I'm tempted to call up and see if I can get an early upgrade (to the Icon, most likely). If I can get an early upgrade, what is everyone's gut feeling about new Verizon phones? I would kick myself if I upgraded to the Icon and then find a new high-end phone arrive on VZW later this year. From what I read, the only two "flagship" phones on the horizon are the M8 and Icon and there's literally nothing else in the pipeline that we know of, right?

SO THE QUESTION:
What would you guys do? Wait until November in case something new gets announced, while using ancient tech for the next 3 months. Or bite the bullet and go with the Icon (or M8)? My gut tells me there is no way Microsoft will head into the holiday season with the Icon and the M8 as their only high end phones, right?

Opinions wanted!

The definitely could release a new device by the end of this year. Since the new Snapdragon 805 SOC supports 55 Megapixel cameras and Lumia 1020 end-of-life is coming soon, who knows? Maybe we might see a successor to the 1020 with a 41 Megapixel camera?

However if photography isn't your main preference, the M8 and Icon will still offer a pretty amazing experience and even if a new device launches they won't become outdated.

If you tell me your main preferences with a smartphone, I'll be able to help better.

shakermaker41

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Honestly I'm just looking for people's gut instinct as to whether there are other flagship WP devices on the way, in which case I should wait for the holidays.

My gut says there HAS to be, but I haven't heard of any other rumored device even in the pipeline, which would be ludicrous. But I'd that's the case, then I may as well upgrade now.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
as you already said, there is no interesting device coming soon, no need to wait for tech, there is always something better coming, I would take the M8, I have a 928 too and I don't feel like the icon is a real upgrade, it packs higher numbers, but lacks glance and xenon flash, and the design is anything but better, I would be always thinking how good my 928 was compared to that thing, the M8 on the other hand would be a fresh start, the main camera wont be as pro but it would bring a lot of fun playing with all its duo cam tricks, and the front cam is more than decent too plus you can mess around with people's tvs

in the end if you aren't as biased as me, the choice is either a nicer camera(icon) or a better overall phone(M8)

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I'd wait but not too much longer. We know about the M8, we know theres a 730 and 830 just around the corner..what we don't know is if there is actually anything else. Pretty much after September all the new devices SHOULD be announced by then at least and you'd be able to make a decision.

I jumped on a 930 at the end of July with the mindset that there probably isn't going to be another high end specced phone coming out anytime soon. so far, all we have is the HTC One M8 for windows.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes