8.1 gdr1 drains battery faster than ever

congthanhgiong

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm using a lumia 1320 which is supposed to have one of the best battery in wp. Last night, i went home with 10% battery, so i got it charged a few hours to 100%. Then i unplugged and went to sleep, on my dream i heard the sound 'Battery saver' and woke up in the morning and i can't believe my phone has 0% battery. Terrible to say, not to mention that after updating to gdr1, my phone just got hot strangely a few times to the degree that i was afraid it could burn me so i had to turn it off even though i wasn't using it.

i have Cortana, wifi on all the time and on wp8.1 it used to run ok.

Anyone here has the same problem ?

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Did you have Cyan installed as well? Try to empty totally the battery, to the point of dying and them connect the power cord. The battery may need calibration.

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Fairly common problem after updates. Soft reset and/or drain battery until phone shuts down, as maclancer suggested. It should clear up.

spyderzWPC

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
are you getting any heat issues? I still run into random heat issues which were caused by the music played and my memory card

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
My phone heats up when I use MyTube, but doesn't get too hot to hold. YouTube HD and Vevo don't heat it up nearly as much, although it does warm a bit with them. I think it also heats up with Here Drive +, but I'm not usually holding it while using that.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
My phone heats up when I use MyTube, but doesn't get too hot to hold. YouTube HD and Vevo don't heat it up nearly as much, although it does warm a bit with them. I think it also heats up with Here Drive +, but I'm not usually holding it while using that.
That's quite normal, specially if you are viewing HD videos.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Yep, had it with my 810 for a bit till I did the following:
Fully charge the phone
Open EVERY app on your phone (make sure you go through the setup process if needed per app, including allow to run in background if it has that option)
After you have gone through every app and made sure it has run once, soft reset/pull battery

After that, battery life has improved tremendously. Even better than WP8.0 ever was.

blackdaemon

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem. When I was done with the updates (I had to revert to 8.0 because of inability to update from DP 8.1 to Cyan) all the way up to Cyan and GDR1, I noticed that many apps were enabled again to run in background. I had to go to the Battery Saver app and disable all but few apps. Then my battery life went to normal, and even better life than before Cyan/GDR1. Please verify that.

Liopleus Lin

May 23, 2014
Visit site
This is not good for the health of the battery. Lithium Ion batteries do not like being run down.
I did this yesterday and found that my phone shut down when the battery is at 3.6v. Long before the battery is complete drain did the phone shut down, Microsoft surely knows how to protect battery.

Kris Muylaert

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I have a lumia 920 and since 8.1 GDR1 battery is drainig much faster. Checked apps allowed running on backgroup and are set as before.
Device is running hot and it looks like to me that is the mobile data. When at home on wifi, battery life is pretty normal and device is not running hot.

nfsleo07

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I have a 1520 and I am also facing the same problem. earlier my device used to work for about a day and a half after full charge but now it doesn't even stay charged for a day. Also if I am watching some videos or playing games, even at 40 % battery level, the phone says low battery and immediately turns off. After that I can easily turn on my phone and see that the battery was indeed somewhere around 40%.I have done soft reset 1-2 times but still no effect!

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I have a 1520 and I am also facing the same problem. earlier my device used to work for about a day and a half after full charge but now it doesn't even stay charged for a day. Also if I am watching some videos or playing games, even at 40 % battery level, the phone says low battery and immediately turns off. After that I can easily turn on my phone and see that the battery was indeed somewhere around 40%.I have done soft reset 1-2 times but still no effect!

Sounds like your battery calibration may be off. The way to fix this is to run the battery down to 0 and let the phone shut itself down. Wait a bit, then put it on the charger for a full charge to 100%. It may or may not help with the discharge rate, but it will make sure the battery percentage showing is correct.

Doing this frequently will shorten your battery life, but lithium ion batteries do need this once in a while to properly calibrate, especially if they're showing issues like yours is doing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serdezdezen