What would you do if Windows Phone is discontinued ?

anon6002755

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Since im sitting here waiting on an update I'd be switching to IOS to avoid having to deal with this. Especially if they decide to actually go ahead with a 4.7 inch phone. Then the phone was released and i'm not impressed. i'll be eeking my way back to android.
Sent from my...

Last edited:

igorhk

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I would want to buy an iphone and most likely end up buying an android as i am not sure i want to use an OS that is even more closed than wp. I will do that soon anyway, not because of wp but because i am really pissed off at Nokia and its mythical "build quality". No Nokia unfortunately means no wp where i live...

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I think the fear is that Microsoft would give up on WP similar to the Kin or Zune because of the low market share. Kin was a half-baked smartphone. It never stood a chance with its pricing and the fact that it required a smartphone plan. WP was already in the works by the time Kin came out and it didn't make sense to keep Kin. Also by the time WP was released, it didn't make sense to continue Zune because the iPod was already losing steam and the iPhone was catching on faster than expected. Basically WP 7 was the replacement for Zune.

Microsoft has put in a significant amount time and money in WP and has made it part of its overall Windows strategy as evidenced in converting to the NT kernel and now making Threshold. I don't see WP going anywhere anytime soon. It will be available in some form or another as Microsoft can't afford to lose the entire market to mobile devices that run iOS or Android. If they kill WP, Windows itself could eventually die. After all, we are in the 'post-PC era' and the last thing Microsoft is going to let happen is kill Windows. Anyway, just my observation.

Now to answer your original question, I'm interested in supporting Microsoft software and services. I'm sure they will be available in some form or another in the highly unlikely event that phones running Windows or WP are discontinued. I don't wish to support Android because I don't want to be tied to Google so if I can use Microsoft services on either, then I'm going to choose iOS.

iamakii

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I believe mobile computing is here to stay, if MS will drop WP so will they for tablets and there's little probability for that with Windows 9 development.

About your question, I'll support WP till the end.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
The question is simple : what would you do if Windows Phone 8.1 is dropped and abandoned ?

In my case i'll simply keep using my Android as i do now (maybe going from Note 2 to Note 4 in a while). I never completed my migration because the WP OS won't allow me to work and i lack too many apps.

WP for me is a "patient under observation", not my standard working OS.

Waiting on a bigger screen Blackberry if the company survive, then i may head there if WP dies. BB supports Android apps and has security methods to check on those. The OS is stable and frequently updated. Hardware is rock-solid and BB is now starting to use top notch hardware. They have their own servers which are relatively secure etc. etc.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I'll keep using my Lumia 920 until it dies. My next phone (if WP is discontinued) would probably be something like the OnePlus One.

Blu3V3nom07

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
First, I'd get a Lumia 1525. Second, I'd ride out the next 2-3 years, and get whatever Android N-O/iOS10-11 thing I want. But I'll most likely get another WP at that time after the 1525, if nothing gets discontinued.

Last edited:

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
What would you do if Windows Phone is discontinued ?

Probably get a lot more done around here :smile:

I'd most likely move to the next doomed OS if the devices were inexpensive.
Not a fan of paying big money for these devices.

I could live without frankly.
My question is:
What would I do if Microsoft closed down?

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Go back to webOS. If I'm going to be on a dead OS, might as well be something I enjoy making phone calls and texts with.

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Nothing until determination of End of Life (EOL) is determined by specified date. Then, I would buy last year's iPhone S version off contract since I switched from iOS to Windows Phone.

That aside, do people stop using their unsupported iPhone 3GSs? No, those devices become the portable gaming devices that have undercut Nintendo and Sony market share. I already do the same for my older Nokia Lumia devices.

dippy_deep

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I paid tribute to Nokia by buying Windows phone. But after using it for month, and so much happening in the WP world and yes continuous updates, waiting for the features to be added....
If WP discontinued... I'll discontinue to use a smartphone.😈

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I don't think the OP is suggesting that WP is dead or dying. I "think" it's just a curious question. Some posters seem to be reading too much into it.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I would do exactly what I'll be doing in a couple of months: switch to Android until Nokia returns to the phone business and I can get good customer support again (something I've clearly lost the moment the D&S division passed to Microsoft). Until then, Android it is. In any case, I'll find Nokia there with the Z Launcher, eventually HERE maps and all the other stuff Nokia is preparing for Android.

Bkr11

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
For most of the past week I was trying to love my Sony Xperia Z1s with the Kit Kat update. Guess what - I didn't. Still gets hot, camera still overheats after light usage, and I had two widgets just disappear randomly off my screen. So *if* I'd have to go to another OS I suspect it would be iOS, but I hope to heck it never comes to that since I simply love the Windows Phone interface and consistency of experience.

drewcular

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
I'd be very sad at first. I really like WP a lot and can't stand android. I love my iPad and iOS but iPhones are so effing expensive off contract and that's the only way I roll with this cell phone stuff. So, dare I say I'd go back to a tracfone/flip phone? I probably would, unless apple ends up with a cheaper device.

This!

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I'd stick with my 1020 as long as possible. I primarily use my phone for calls, photos and browsing, not bothered about the latest apps.
I have an Ipad and love it, but Iphones are boring and pricey. Also have an Android tab, but don't like it.

So no idea really, would hope my 1020 would last me until 2016, and then see what Nokia comes back with.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes