Microsoft is forcing my hand...

SLIMv3n0m

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Let me just start of by saying that I've been a supporter of windows phone from the beginning. I picked up a Samsung Focus on day one when they were released in Canada. I loved it despite its flaws, and there were many... I then picked up a Lumia 920 (which I still have today), and I'm itching for an upgrade to a new phone. I'd love either a Lumia 930 or a 1520, but sadly the newest "high end" Lumia to come out in Canada was the Lumia 1020... Two years ago!

I've considered importing, and I've even tried eBay and Kijiji, but the high up front cost is just to much. $199, or $99 on a two year contract is the sweet spot for me.

So now sadly, I've been considering an iPhone 6, or 6 plus. As much as I loath Apple, I may be jumping ship. I don't care for Android, so that is not a consideration for me.

I just don't understand why Microsoft has made the decision to not release any of the flagship phones here. Can anyone offer a reason? Can anyone convince me to stay with Windows Phone?

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft is not forcing your anything.

The 1020 still is a really nice phone, and a really nice upgrade for your 920. If you want to stick with WP, upgrade to that and you'll be happy. If that's not good enough for your tastes, switch to another brand/platform. But that's your choice, Microsoft has nothing to do with it.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I just don't understand why Microsoft has made the decision to not release any of the flagship phones here. Can anyone offer a reason? Can anyone convince me to stay with Windows Phone?

If you're questioning using your upgrade for another Windows Phone, you should take that as a sign. If you decide to go with an iPhone, and later change your mind, you could probably sell it and have more than enough to buy a WP off contract.

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
The 1020 is absolutely still a nice phone. Also, the 830 is coming to Cananda soon. If you're too picky for either of them, then move on, we don't need you.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Pick what you believe fits you and your needs best.

The 1020 is still a nice phone (particularly if the price is right) but if you feel its not enough phone for you, then iPhone is the way to go.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
The reality is that, over the 2 years, you will, probably, pay more for the phone than if you buy it outright. If you pay $99, what you are doing, in fact, is paying $99 down and paying off the full boat over the 2 years. Most providers also remove some discounts that you could get if you provide your own phone, thus upping the amount you pay, monthly.

A simple example:

What’s Cheaper? Buying an Unlocked iPhone vs Subsidized 2-Year Term Compared | iPhone in Canada Blog - Canada's #1 iPhone Resource

Another example:

http://www.zdnet.com/how-much-does-an-iphone-6-really-cost-hint-its-way-more-than-199-7000033801/

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes