WP 8.1 Update 2 (GDR 2) - What to expect

rospower96

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I would really like to see:
1. Better Games app
2. Better sync with win8 (like themes and stoff like that)
3. Not the tiles but the background should have an wallpaper (too big feature for gdr update?)
4. Support for 3rd party application to start via camera button
5. More shortcuts in notification center
6. Bring back green tile for music and video :D
7. Yeah a flash app shortcut would be nice
That's all I would wish for windows phone and then it would be the best is out there (when not looking on the app gap xD)

Edit: Colorful tiles like in win8 would be cool too but I can wait till win10 for that

Chad Barnett

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Interesting feature suggestion. Personally I'm fine with four, but I can see how that'd be great too.

I say we add in native stopwatch and torch (light) buttons on the action bar and in the OS. Then I think the 8 to 10 swipe to the right for more suggestion would be awesome. Also the biggest thing would be fixing lock screen applications for a complete fluid experience.

Cortana support for torch would be awesome such as:

"Give me some light" etc..

If you have an app that is a flashlight you can just say "Open flashlight" or whatever the app name is and Cortana will open the app. Most turn on automatically when they are opened.

Last edited:

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I agree, it's the big elephant in the room, nobody really talks about. Since WP7, we've been clamouring for better mobile support. In 8.1.1, we finally got the ability to open password protected office files, yay! Unfortunately, we can't actually edit them, urrh!

A better version of Office is even more important now that Office doesn't require an Office 365 subscription on iOS.

Bagzton

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Alphabetically sorted settings would be frustrating and pointless. The rumor is being able to manually change the settings list.

I'm hoping for:

an option to hide games in the app list (this was the worst decision in 8.1)
an option to make the system tray auto-hide like it did in 8.0
the return of the text editing cursor
a better/faster games hub
a better pictures gallery
data toggle in action center
getting rid of the stutter when returning to the start screen when closing an app
more accent colors and/or returning cobalt to what it was in 8.0
option to change the the charging sound

So basically fixes to all the stuff that was broken in 8.1.
You've said it all

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Faster or fewer animations when opening and closing apps.

The current animations are mostly there to cover the load & unload times of apps so removing them or speeding them up wouldn't necessarily make the apps start any faster. You'd probably just have a black screen or an app splash screen instead.

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Never understood the need for smart dialing when every OS bar BB for the moment has a PA that can dial by name or number. Is that not easy enough? What adv does smart dialing have over that anyways.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Camera button on lock screen for phones with no camera button?

You can access it from the Action Center.

I've seen before a concept of sorted settings menus, just like the live folders. That's what I fell in love with. Will try to find it.

Edit: This one http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8-1/308580-wp-settings-menu-concept.html

WPSettings.gif

Attachments

• WPSettings.jpg
    WPSettings.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 9

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Id like to see a screen brightness multi toggle in the action center.
Low, med, high, auto.

AFAIK, that's (brightness) already there ... a data toggle would be useful.

As far as Smart Dialing, people don't use their phones as, well phones, anymore. You have Cortana, speed dials, etc... people don't make that many phone calls, thus not a hot button issue. Don't think you'll get much traction on that.

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
AFAIK, that's (brightness) already there ... a data toggle would be useful.

As far as Smart Dialing, people don't use their phones as, well phones, anymore. You have Cortana, speed dials, etc... people don't make that many phone calls, thus not a hot button issue. Don't think you'll get much traction on that.

Disagree, especially around the world, the cell phone is the only phone. Yes it is also the computer, but voice is still important, especially considering WP is behind.

BataBole

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Update 2 for Windows Phone 8.1 should be announced anytime now. Rumor has it that the settings will now be arranged alphabetically and data toggle will be available on the action centre. What else do you think will be included in this update?

I for one hope for smart-dialing. The lack of this functionality in 2014 is frustrating tbh.

I would love to see double wide tiles like on Windows 8.1 PC. I'm into personalisation :)

And fix for playing artist on lockscreen.

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
how does having smart dialing benefit the user over asking cortana to call for you.

If yyou put in a number to save, you see in a second that you already got it...if you have many contacts or a rough day or whatever situation....doesn't matter, bring this feature!
But first...lets wait for gdr 1 and denim, it is still not out for everyone

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes