WP 8.1 Update 2 (GDR 2) - What to expect

GCrane1982

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
That's already available, simply set brightness as one of the quick actions and when selected it will toggle between low med and high. My lumia 530 came with this as one of the default quick actions

GCrane1982

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I would simply love for all apps and services to support both the dark and light themes. At the moment the Photos, Store, Xbox music, Xbox Video and Lumia Car App only has a dark theme regardless of what theme the OS is set at.

Other than this I am quite happy with OS as it is rather than a minor incremental update I would prefer MS to utilise their resources in getting developers to update their apps so that they are on par with the other platforms. For example IMDB hasn't been updated in over two years and its not the only big name app like this.

iamakii

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I would really like to see:
1. Better Games app
2. Better sync with win8 (like themes and stoff like that)
3. Not the tiles but the background should have an wallpaper (too big feature for gdr update?)
4. Support for 3rd party application to start via camera button
5. More shortcuts in notification center
6. Bring back green tile for music and video :D
7. Yeah a flash app shortcut would be nice
That's all I would wish for windows phone and then it would be the best is out there (when not looking on the app gap xD)

Edit: Colorful tiles like in win8 would be cool too but I can wait till win10 for that

Actually it's the opposite, win 10 will follow the color scheme of WP based on the mock up released by MS for Win 10 before.

iamakii

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
My simple wishlist:

1. Sorting app list like in Win 8.1
2. Data toggle for notification center
3. Large tile size like in Win 8.1
4. More organized settings list

Evanway

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Well, I surely don't expect this on GDR 2, but they could bring back the message hub on windows 10, try to make some kind of partnership with Facebook messenger and WhatsApp to integrate the apps. I loved the hub on wp8, and really hope to see it again somehow.

anon(5348756)

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Id like to see a screen brightness multi toggle in the action center.
Low, med, high, auto.

Aaaah... you can already do that. I'm doing it on wp8.1.1

a better update of OFFICE would really be NICE.MS cant make office for PCs as good as it is and be lazy to make mobile versions half as good....we use these for daily things,some do there office work on them and as such require them to be half as good.take EXCEL for example.almost all the files u try to open and edit don't open in lumia just because of the few functions MS has for the app.<thumps DOWN MS>

MS just mentioned today that the new touch Office is tied to the Windows 10 release. Considering it's a universal app, there's zero chance you'll see any updates to what's now a legacy office app on WP until wp10/w10 are released next summer.

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Aaaah... you can already do that. I'm doing it on wp8.1.1

MS just mentioned today that the new touch Office is tied to the Windows 10 release. Considering it's a universal app, there's zero chance you'll see any updates to what's now a legacy office app on WP until wp10/w10 are released next summer.

Which is interesting, what else will wp8.1 get considering w10 is almost here.

walterg1

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
So their is a hidden sub menu with more items on it including brightness.

I'm new to Windows phones. After setting up and playing with my phone for the last few days, I still missed this.
So for me to change an item on the notification screen and get back to the notification screen it takes 7 actions.
Poor design, and not really intuitive.

What i'd like to see is long press an item on the notification screen and it takes you to a sub menu, click on an item to change it and it takes you back to the notification screen.
Total of 2 actions, and really quick to change.

Thanks guys for letting me know about the screen brightness toggle.
Its something I really used on my last phone , and I'm really glad this phone has it.

LangBoost

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone experienced battery issues in WP 8.1? My battery has been nearly worthless for the last month. The usual suspects help a little...turning off location, data, and/or wifi, but it's still draining too quickly. It seems to have started when I upgraded to 8.1.

haikallp

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
Never understood the need for smart dialing when every OS bar BB for the moment has a PA that can dial by name or number. Is that not easy enough? What adv does smart dialing have over that anyways.
Some poeple do not want to speak to their phone when they're in the train or walking with their friends. Every other OS has the functionality. Its basic, really.

haikallp

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
how does having smart dialing benefit the user over asking cortana to call for you.

Because cortana is not available in many countries. Plus, I do not want to speak to my phone when I'm in the train or walking with my friends. Every other OS has the functionality. Its been available since 2009.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Because cortana is not available in many countries. Plus, I do not want to speak to my phone when I'm in the train or walking with my friends. Every other OS has the functionality. Its been available since 2009.

Then why not say Cortana available in my country instead of Smart Dialling?

binnyandrews

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Then why not say Cortana available in my country instead of Smart Dialling?

There are situation / environment where cortana/ Siri can not be used practically. Personally I don't wanna talk to my phone while being in a public place.... More over, If other OS/competitor does have it why cant wp can not have it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)