Why is my system size constantly growing?

Phonios

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
System size constantly growing

Hi fellow WP user,

Has anyone of you experienced constant growth of the system size?
A few months ago my system size was around 4gb. Now I'm at 6.94gb. Since I only have 16gb internal memory and no sd card support there will be soon no more space for pictures and messages left. I was forced to delete all my music because of this but all the additional space is now gone again.

Does anyone have a solution for this problem, despite a hard reset since I want to keep my phone exactly like it is now? What can I do to prevent this from happening?

Phone: HTX 8x; OS: Windows Phone 8.1.1 DP

Thanks

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: System size constantly growing

This bug was fixed for most users with 8.1, so it's weird that you still have it. However only a hard reset will wipe the extra "storage" files

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Preview for Developers pushes a LOT of updates; none of which are optimized for your system. As ven07 says - only a Hard Reset will flush out the system and parse it down. It may be time to get off the Preview... If you can hang on until official 8.1.1 hits, run a backup and reflash your system with the Software Recovery Tool. So long as you keep on the P4D you will most likely see this creep in system files and have to cull other storage. Move what you can to OneDrive and your PC.

You could try these tips: How to free storage memory on Windows Phone - Wiki

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

Preview for Developers pushes a LOT of updates; none of which are optimized for your system. As ven07 says - only a Hard Reset will flush out the system and parse it down. It may be time to get off the Preview... If you can hang on until official 8.1.1 hits, run a backup and reflash your system with the Software Recovery Tool. So long as you keep on the P4D you will most likely see this creep in system files and have to cull other storage. Move what you can to OneDrive and your PC.

SRT is a lifesaver these days :D

Phonios

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
Looks like I cannot avoid a hard reset. Since it looks like HTC will this time really release the 8.1 update next week I will wait till then to skip installing the DP again.

Thanks a lot.

dbcontext

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

Just hard reset phone and to my surprise it came installed with denim update. After 15 days of use, System already went up from 3gb to 6gb and doesn't seem to stop growing. No developer preview here. HELP!!!!!!

Marquis de Faux

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

The problem is, there is no Software Recovery Tool for HTC devices like the OP has.
If the OP is on T-Mobile, the T-Mobile version of the HTC 8X will not be getting an official 8.1.1 either.

I would suggest a hard reset. When you set up the phone after a hard reset, you can restore your apps and Start screen arrangement.

dbcontext

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately I'm not running Preview for Developers and System file size still keeps growing on my Lumia 925. I hard reset phone 15 days ago and System folder is already at 6.19GB. I attached phone to PC and launched the windows Phone app on Windows 8.1. To my surprise Others folder was being reported as 6.22GB and System folder as 2.19GB... so I guess others folder is the culprit.

wp_ss_20150118_0004.jpg

Last edited:

mathsisbest

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately I'm not running Preview for Developers and System file size still keeps growing on my Lumia 925. I hard reset phone 15 days ago and System folder is already at 6.19GB. I attached phone to PC and launched the windows Phone app on Windows 8.1. To my surprise Others folder was being reported as 6.22GB and System folder as 2.19GB... so I guess others folder is the culprit.

View attachment 94064

Try a soft reset and delete all your browsing history and search history. If system is still large then I think trying a hard reset again is best.

hprvez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site

Space should be freed when needed, automatically, old news. It should work the same way as the ram management

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

The problem is, there is no Software Recovery Tool for HTC devices like the OP has.
If the OP is on T-Mobile, the T-Mobile version of the HTC 8X will not be getting an official 8.1.1 either.

I would suggest a hard reset. When you set up the phone after a hard reset, you can restore your apps and Start screen arrangement.

Yep... I missed that detail on my first read through. Thank You for updating the info that the OP needs.

Miqueas M Rvl

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
Hello everyone!! I had the same issue but fixed it with a hard-reset and when i restored my pictures i realized that the "whatsapp" folder incrases the system size. When i eliminated that folder, my system went from 4.10gb to 2.71gb. Also my "others" went down to 0.wp_ss_20151209_0001[1].png

rudy rudy

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone!! I had the same issue but fixed it with a hard-reset and when i restored my pictures i realized that the "whatsapp" folder incrases the system size. When i eliminated that folder, my system went from 4.10gb to 2.71gb. Also my "others" went down to 0.View attachment 118607

Hello you mean we remove the Picture Folder "Whatsapp" it will release the system storage??

How bout if rename the folder to other string name. I shall try this

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes