Phone OS to be uninstalled/reinstalled, maybe replaced. How to make sure EVERYTHING transfers over?

MichaelBanning

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
So I saw this thread (http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...-i-back-up-my-broken-one-restore-new-one.html) but I want to make sure I don't forget anything.

What steps should I take both BEFORE and AFTER they re-set and/or replace my phone?
I'll re-sync music on my own so that's fine.
I'll take screenshots of my screen so I remember how I had it set up.
I'll make sure I go into settings and use the "backup now" feature for apps and settings. my backup for texts is already on and I guess automatic since there's no "backup now" button for texts?
MY MEMORY CARD - I have most everything (music/apps/maps/documents) saved to that - will everything transfer over nicely to the new phone once I put it in and turn it on and sign in to my windows account? Do I have to do anything before/after they re-os my phone and/or replace my phone?
SIM CARD - same question as memory card - should I do anything special before and/or after the transition?

Anything else I'm forgetting?

Any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

MichaelBanning

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
Ok I'm an ***** and probably should have posted this in the 8.1 forum not the 8 forum. Can someone move it please?

Either way, your help is appreciated. But my 1520 has Cyan.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Music (and video) on your own - that's really your only option.
Home screen layout should be preserved, if you make a settings backup before and restore it, but screenshots would be helpful if something goes wrong.
Memory card - I have never tested that scenario as my primary phone doesn't have the capability (L1020).
SIM card - nothing special there, other than what I have noticed on having to setup visual voicemail again anytime it has been swapped to another device.
If you are using Preview for Developers and the replacement has a lower build number, you'll want to set it up as new, don't bother with all the logging on and syncing, install the PfD app, get it upgraded, then do a device reset before starting from restoring your backup.
I think that about covers it.

MichaelBanning

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
I'm going through this process now. If anyone has any last minute suggestions/recommendations on how to ensure everything from my old 1520 gets successfully transferred to my new 1520, I'd GREATLY appreciate it.

MichaelBanning

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
Ok so I'm finished for the most part. A couple of questions/frustrations/thoughts below - any insight would be awesome!

-First f*** Google and them ending Google Sync capabilities. That said, setting it up the alternative way was surprisingly easy and with seemingly the same result.

-Unless I did something wrong, there's NO POINT to trying to transfer apps to a new phone via the sd card. I was unable to change the settings on the new phone for what will be saved to the sd card until I deleted "another phone's apps" meaning I had to delete and reinstall ALL the apps on my SD card anyway. Is there some way to get a new phone to recognize the apps on a memory card as "yours"?

-DO I SERIOUSLY HAVE TO MANUALL RE-ENTER ALL THE WIFI NETWORKS AND PASSWORDS I HAD ON MY OLD PHONE?!?!?!?! Seriously, is there an easier way to do this?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6