Why does System in phone memory keep taking up more space?

Zahin Azmayeen

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
HELP! "System" in phone memory keeps taking up more space.

wp_ss_20150208_0001.png wp_ss_20150208_0010.png
The two screenshots were taken on the same day(today, 8/2/2015). At this point, my phone memory got clogged and lost internet connectivity. I had to delete some photos, which are the only things I keep on my phone memory, to connect to the internet. Now my question is, "How do I get the "System" back to normal state?" I can swear that it was less than 4GB even a week ago. I'm running Windows phone 8.1 on Lumia 630 Dual SIM. One inportant thing to note is that I was trying to preload almost a 1GB YouTube video(The WAN Show-Name of the video) using the "Tubecast" app. Please help!!! TIA.
P.S: Hard reset is not an option for me right now.
EDIT: How do I shrink "System"?

Last edited:

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: HELP! "System" in phone memory keeps taking up more space.

There is no "normale" state because it depends on you.
What you can do is use storage sense to delete tempory files (even if it is 0) and delete IE history.

Akash Patel

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site

View attachment 96177 View attachment 96178
The two screenshots were taken on the same day(today, 8/2/2015). At this point, my phone memory got clogged and lost internet connectivity. I had to delete some photos, which are the only things I keep on my phone memory, to connect to the internet. Now my question is, "How do I get the "System" back to normal state?" I can swear that it was less than 4GB even a week ago. I'm running Windows phone 8.1 on Lumia 630 Dual SIM. One inportant thing to note is that I was trying to preload almost a 1GB YouTube video(The WAN Show-Name of the video) using the "Tubecast" app. Please help!!! TIA.
P.S: Hard reset is not an option for me right now.

Do method suggested by harrie-s.
I also do that whenever my system takes too much of space.

srikanth reddy4

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

i suggest a soft reset.it really worked for me.once system memory in my phones was 3.2 gb but after reseting it was 2.7 gb.hope works with you also

thomasdtran

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site

I just realized this week on my Lumia 822 that the "System" is taking up much more space that usual. It's taking up 6.55 GB of space.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

Guess youd have to do a full reset and dont use any backups. Start from scratch :cry:

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

Noticed the same thing on my 1520, now up to 6.43GB. Seemed to start for me after one of the recent preview updates as it was previously holding steady at around 3.4GB. Guess they just switched the bug from "Other" to "System"....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss