Difference between setting a lock password on your windows 8.1 phone and doing a

dal010101

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
I have a nokia lumina 1320. It was stolen from my car and I have been tracking it on windowsphone.com. I have locked it from the website. Can it still be unlocked by the person who stole it? Is there a difference between just having to enter the password I set on the phone and unlocking a phone that has been locked using the windowsphone.com website locking feature? Please help. I know if I do an "erase" on it I will not be able to track it anymore and I am hoping to still recover it. I am hoping that by locking it remotely that someone else won't be able to unlock it.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
No there is no difference, In both cases you need the password to get in.

Actual if you already set a password the thieve can not get in your phone.
The advantage of the locking is that you can still set a password (if your phone would have no password) and that you can sent a message with the remote locking.
And this message will appear on your phone.

dal010101

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
ok, thank you for that answer. I know that people advertise to unlock phones that are locked. This is what I am worried about. If someone could still unlock it by any other means.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
ok, thank you for that answer. I know that people advertise to unlock phones that are locked. This is what I am worried about. If someone could still unlock it by any other means.

I think you're confusing security unlocking with SIM unlocking, which is something much more benign and is a service advertised by many. (unlocking a phone to enable it to work on more than it's original carrier.)

The only practical way the alleged thief is getting into that phone is by erasing the data and starting fresh.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb