Question about text message backup

Dan TheMan86

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I've encountered this really bad lockscreen glitch and I need to completely reset/restore my phone. How does the text message backup function work? There is the toggle to set the text message backup, but you don't see any progress bar or any way to manually back them up. Does the backup happen when you go through the Apps + Settings backup and tap "back up now"?? Thanks.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't backup like you think it does. It's almost real-time backing up, so while turning it on after being off for some time might set some gears turning, if its been on for a while it'll be fine.

I don't know if it happens explicitly when the main backup function is used, but it works regardless.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
It does work, as xandros9 mentioned, but in my experience I've always noticed that at least the past few (2-3) day's worth of messages don't seem to get backed up.

For really important messages, I take a screenshot of them and copy them to my PC. If they're sensitive information, I keep them in an encrypted folder. Technically, these are not backups, but at least I'll have the information I want when I need them.

Dan TheMan86

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
ahhh crap. I've never ever had the text message backup turned on until now. Well, I'll try to make do with the phone as is for a couple days, then hard reset. Thanks for the information you guys!

Dan TheMan86

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
So I finally did a hard reset on the phone last night. The text message backup pretty much DID NOT WORK. It only saved a handful of messages from like a year ago, everything else was gone. A lot of memories are gone with those texts!! Oh well, just have to get over it.

Bagzton

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I've never had a problem with texts backup. Done did hard reset severally and I kept getting my messages. Like Xandros did say, just give it time cos it's working in the background.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So I finally did a hard reset on the phone last night. The text message backup pretty much DID NOT WORK. It only saved a handful of messages from like a year ago, everything else was gone. A lot of memories are gone with those texts!! Oh well, just have to get over it.

You have to give it a day or two, tops. I'm mostly confident they'll appear. (I say that because that's how it behaved for me usually - opening messages right off the bat brought up stuff from too-long-ago first, so I just went off and set up other things.)

And make sure the settings are set to "all time" and all that jazz.

Dan TheMan86

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I think mine didn't work because I haven't had that text backup setting turned on since day one. If they haven't come in by now, I don't think they ever will. I waited a couple days with the backup setting on, that was more than enough time for them to get backed up and it still didn't happen. I'm not getting my hopes up lol

Dan TheMan86

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
btw, does anyone know how to make it so the phone only vibrates once when receiving text messages? Before it would only vibrate once, but now, every time I get a text even when the screen is on, it vibrates 3 times and it's annoying the heck out of me!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs