11-25-2013 11:51 AM
164 ... 4567
tools
    Don'tsee the humour. ill try to explain myself better.
    For me phones that break down within 2 years are delicate. My lumia 800, N9 etc still work perfectly without any slowdowns or hardware faults.
    My iPhone 4s on the other hand has broken power and home buttons, out of general wear and tear. Plus ios7 works terribly.
    Plus also the difference between glass and aluminum on one hand and polycarbonate on the other makes the lumia series tanks in comparison.
    Anyway hope I've explained myself better.
    My daughter has had a 4 since new, and my wife has had a 4s since new. Absolutely zero problems with either one, and still look like new. But they do take care of their phones.
    The 4s has iOS 7, and it runs great.
    11-23-2013 11:43 AM
    My daughter has had a 4 since new, and my wife has had a 4s since new. Absolutely zero problems with either one, and still look like new. But they do take care of their phones.
    The 4s has iOS 7, and it runs great.
    My sister (who actually looks after her stuff well), has a 4s and I had to replace the power button as it had broke and stuck in. Also the phone runs pretty bad on the new iOS 7, the lag now is really quite noticeable. She actually asked me to downgrade back to 6, but she was a few days past the deadline that Apple stopped the connection to authorize a downgrade back to 6 through iTunes.
    11-23-2013 02:35 PM
    Im guessing the consensus here is an iPhone for your daughter. :)
    Oh btw ios7 lags quite a bit on my friends 4s. But not too much on the nerves.
    11-23-2013 03:54 PM
    Just go for an iPhone. It'll likely avoid a lot of pain. If she's used to the iOS interface I see no real reason to force her to adopt something she doesn't want.
    11-23-2013 05:17 PM
    If the OP is bent on getting an inexpensive Lumia with a FFC, go for the AIO 620. The kid can have a wacky colored phone and nobody will think twice that it's a WP phone or a 5C. If she's a good kid who gets good grades, treats mom & dad respectfully and stays out of trouble, then she's earned her iPhone. If the finances don't pan out I'm sure she'll understand, or at least it'll be a good teaching moment.
    11-23-2013 06:07 PM
    Not going to lie, I just skipped from the first page to the last, but I never saw anyone defending her Android claim? I know this is a WP Forum, but you can't get malware on an Android unless you're really, really stupid with it. And even then, there are free apps that can guard you against threats like that. Nonetheless, iPhones are the craze nowadays and I think that as previously stated the iPod + WP Phone is a great combo. Being an Android user, I'm not sure if that Windows Phone could be a hotspot for the iPod...?
    broar94 and xandros9 like this.
    11-23-2013 07:01 PM
    Not going to lie, I just skipped from the first page to the last, but I never saw anyone defending her Android claim? I know this is a WP Forum, but you can't get malware on an Android unless you're really, really stupid with it. And even then, there are free apps that can guard you against threats like that. Nonetheless, iPhones are the craze nowadays and I think that as previously stated the iPod + WP Phone is a great combo. Being an Android user, I'm not sure if that Windows Phone could be a hotspot for the iPod...?
    Not sure about all WPs but I know my 1020 can hotspot. I'm not too knowledable on other Window Phones.

But I too want to hear what OP and his daughter eventually do! :)
    11-23-2013 07:12 PM
    She's paying half the bill? Let her get an iPhone. The monthly charge doesn't vary between smartphones, only between carriers (sans T-Mobile). And if she's paying for it then you should respect her financial decision and let her get the phone of her choosing. Your daughter becoming an "iSheep" isn't the worst thing in the world, especially since she's already happy with her current iPod.

If you truly want to convince her of the glory of WPs then let her use your phone for a day or two. Walk her through the benefits of WP, how she can pin all of her favorite friends (for which she probably has many) to the start screen. How she can get instant Facebook updates from them. Maybe once she realizes the social aspects of WP then she'll jump ship.

But don't buy her a phone and tell her to jump ship.
    America is so weird lol, in England the monthly charge depends on what phone you get. If you get a 520 it would be less than 10, if you get a 620 it might be 15, a 920 about 20, a 925 about 25, a 1020 about 35 and an iPhone 5 about 45. So the monthly cost reflects the value of the phone.
    11-23-2013 08:15 PM
    Nope ... If you can find any Apple products in my house, they will be yours. However, I did start out with a Macintosh computer... lol...

But c'mon admit it. You bought an iPad back in 2010 for yerself.
    11-23-2013 08:20 PM
    America is so weird lol, in England the monthly charge depends on what phone you get. If you get a 520 it would be less than 10, if you get a 620 it might be 15, a 920 about 20, a 925 about 25, a 1020 about 35 and an iPhone 5 about 45. So the monthly cost reflects the value of the phone.
    Now that's weird! In America the value of the phone is reflected in what you pay up front, whether on contact or off contact. The monthly bill is the same regardless of the phone.
    11-23-2013 08:20 PM
    Question was already answered, she wants an IPhone.
    11-23-2013 08:25 PM
    I was working at 13 years old, 3 days a week and going to school. My parents wouldn't purchase things i wanted for me, so i had no choice...back then if i wanted a CD or videogame it had to come out of my account. Maybe a lot of 13 year olds dont work these days but its not all of them =P
    When I was 12 I got a paper round but years earlier than that I had always been great at saving money and would always save Christmas and birthday money and I never got anything bought for me if I wanted it and I'm glad about that because it taught me the value of money even though I must have already known because somehow my sister turned out the opposite. So at 13 I wanted a contract phone, a Nokia 6280 and it had to be in my parents name because I wasn't 18 but I paid it in full every month all on my own. I'm 20 now and I still like to save and I know the value of money. I've also alwayssss been different to any other kid. When the iPhone first came out I didn't want it and over the years never wanted it and just before Windows Phone 7 announcement I had an android phone and I'd never found a phone that settled my OCD and then I saw Windows Phone and I fell in love instantly!!! When I used it and saw it's beautiful animations and simplicity I knew I had finally found a phone that settled my OCD and Ive upgraded twice since my first windows phone and all have been windows phones and I don't think I could ever leave as nothing else meets my design and beauty needs lol.
    11-23-2013 08:28 PM
    The shallowness of the American teens resumed to one post. Sorry for being so blunt but it's true.
    I never got taught this by anyone but somehow figured it out on my own that being different, which I always have been, was actually the best way to be. I used to spend a lot of time on my own at school as I didn't fit in and I used to get picked on a bit and I never gave into peer pressure, I somehow became a very mentally strong person. I never tried drugs or smoked, and still haven't to this day no matter how 'cool' it was to smoke. I just silently laughed at all the weak people who smoked because they thought it was cool and I was just my own person and refused to follow the crowd. One of my favourite quotes is "stop trying so hard to fit in when you were born to stand out"
    11-23-2013 08:42 PM
    Now that's weird! In America the value of the phone is reflected in what you pay up front, whether on contact or off contact. The monthly bill is the same regardless of the phone.
    lol that's weird again, in England generally all phones on contract are free. If you pay partially for the phone then you make your monthly cost cheaper
    11-23-2013 08:43 PM
    Just go for an iPhone. It'll likely avoid a lot of pain. If she's used to the iOS interface I see no real reason to force her to adopt something she doesn't want.
    Here's another vote for abdication of parental responsibility. 'Murica.
    11-23-2013 11:43 PM
    Tmobile is not the cheapest network. They always get the money no matter what. And even carriers count towards your status. T mobile means your poor. Sprint means you don't realize you have no coverage and Verizon and AT&T are the I have money for nice things carriers. Being a Teen in one of New York State's biggest high school, if you don't have an iPhone, your a LOSER. So I carry 2. My 822 and iPhone 4. I'm a freshmen and 14 years old. And yes both of them are active and it's bleeding me dry. But I'd rather die than be labeled as a loser.
    Over a phone? I am sincerely hoping that statement is a joke, because you have a totally pitiful reason to be alive...
    Editguy1900 and xandros9 like this.
    11-24-2013 12:27 AM
    Over a phone? I am sincerely hoping that statement is a joke, because you have a totally pitiful reason to be alive...
    It's what America has come down to. In other countries teenagers worry about having enough food, clothing & shelter. Here they will DIE if they don't get an iThing.
    luk3ja likes this.
    11-24-2013 12:39 AM
    My teen daughter is the person who turned me onto Windows Phone... I got us both one. Four months later she asked me for an iPhone. She loved the WP phone but it just didn't have the games and the apps all her friends had. We sold the WP, she got her iPhone and she's really happy with it, despite feeling "like a sheep", as she puts it.

Teenagers need the apps, especially the games. Get her the iPhone.
    Hmm, let me guess... Candy Crush Saga??
    11-24-2013 12:51 AM
    I'm a high school technology teacher. I'm sick of kids bringing me their broken iPhones hoping I can fix them. I'm also sick of seeing every teen with a phone and having to spend class time getting them to put them away because they are using class time for FB and Twitter. I'm also sick of seeing students on free lunch with iPhones. It's time for parents to start being parents and quit letting their kids run their lives. That said, there are lots of teens using phones other than iPhones. There are a lot of Android phones and I see a few Windows Phones.Get what you think your kid should have.
    11-24-2013 01:14 AM
    Question is: how important is it to help your child to teach her to be like everybody else - or teach her to resist the peer pressure?
    My own parents found the latter more important, and as a teenager, I hated them for that sometimes - until I found out, with still below 20 years, how freeing it is to make up my own mind without taking my peer's opinion into account. In other words: with fulfilling your child every wish you don't always do them a favour, and sometimes your children will hate you for it, at least for a while.
    Regarding needing to have the latest games - sorry, nobody really really needs them, neither life nor educational goals depend on it. It's a strong want that is mixed up with a need in most cases.

Regarding the specific case:
    If there is a good logical reason for the thread openers daughter reason to get a certain brand (and everybody has it is, imho, is NOT a strong enough reason by far,I would want to see some proof that she has put some more serious thoughts into the issue) and she's ready to spend some of her own money, why not an iPhone.
    willied likes this.
    11-24-2013 01:56 AM
    Why does a teen need to prove they put some thought into what phone they want? She's a teenager, not a Rhodes Scholar.
    PB_H likes this.
    11-24-2013 11:26 AM
    Why does a teen need to prove they put some thought into what phone they want? She's a teenager, not a Rhodes Scholar.
    Because a teenager is on the way to be a grown up person, and the earlier she learns to give her wishes a bit more reason than a mere "because everybody has it", the better for her.
    Because being a teenager doesn't mean getting every wish fulfilled without a reason.
    Because thinking about what to spend ones money for can't be learnt soon enough.
    And because being a parent is not a popularity contest.

All imho of course.

Question to you: what, in your opinion, is the advantage of not teaching your child to put some thought into a buying decision?
    11-24-2013 04:05 PM
    show her windows phone challenge on ms windows phone website. especially the ones comparing to iphone. she will change her mind ;)
    11-24-2013 04:24 PM
    Because a teenager is on the way to be a grown up person, and the earlier she learns to give her wishes a bit more reason than a mere "because everybody has it", the better for her.
    Because being a teenager doesn't mean getting every wish fulfilled without a reason.
    Because thinking about what to spend ones money for can't be learnt soon enough.
    And because being a parent is not a popularity contest.

All imho of course.

Question to you: what, in your opinion, is the advantage of not teaching your child to put some thought into a buying decision?
    Because this is 'Murica, where kids are given anything they want and told they can get bull**** "-studies" degrees and pile up $80K student debt and end up working at McDonald's for life.
    11-24-2013 04:29 PM
    I'm a high school technology teacher. I'm sick of kids bringing me their broken iPhones hoping I can fix them. I'm also sick of seeing every teen with a phone and having to spend class time getting them to put them away because they are using class time for FB and Twitter. I'm also sick of seeing students on free lunch with iPhones. It's time for parents to start being parents and quit letting their kids run their lives. That said, there are lots of teens using phones other than iPhones. There are a lot of Android phones and I see a few Windows Phones.Get what you think your kid should have.
    Ever thought of a career change? Sounds like things might be getting away from you a little bit, happens to all of us.
    11-24-2013 07:19 PM
164 ... 4567