I don't like where MS is going...

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I look at it as Microsoft creating a compelling experience where most of the users are currently. They are sending a Trojan horse(Skype, Office, OneNote) to the other camps and getting users or maintaining users before they get trapped in another ecosystem. They've focused resources on creating those apps first to hold the users and now they are focusing on their own offerings. When those offerings are complete they will be released as the place to go when your current device is in need of an upgrade. By then the experience will have been improved greatly and the best experience will be on Windows(phone, desktop, tablets).

Yeah 6 months later, how many updates to add new features that the Android and iOS versions will have had by then is anyone's guess!!!!

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Lets compare this to blackberry. BBM was exclusive to them for ever. They decided to start releasing on other platforms after some dire circumstances. So now everyone has access to BBM. Is anyone running out to get a blackberry now that they had a taste? Or are people now going 'woo, now I have BBM and I don't need to get a crapberry for it'?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Lets compare this to blackberry. BBM was exclusive to them for ever. They decided to start releasing on other platforms after some dire circumstances. So now everyone has access to BBM. Is anyone running out to get a blackberry now that they had a taste? Or are people now going 'woo, now I have BBM and I don't need to get a crapberry for it'?

Considering the limited volume but the Passport sold out its allotment twice and the pre-orders for the Classic are going quite well. The interest is obviously there on the consumer end and BB still owns a 60% share of the enterprise segment. Don't count them out just yet.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site

Exactly

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

Blackberry did the only smart thing they could do at that point, as data collection for BBM on Blackberry was almost gone. So they had to shift focus to other platforms. Putting BBM on iOS and Android was the only thing that let them shift into Cloud services. The Passport was still over a year away, and almost no one wanted to buy a Blackberry but the ever shrinking hardcore Blackberry keyboard users.

I do think BBM has a huge fight still to come, as Whatsapp, Facebook, Viber, Line,Wechat are all in the same game of data to sales.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I am a loyal WP fan. I started about two years ago, when the L920 came out. I traded my then awesome HTC One X to experience firsthand the WP8 OS. I just wanted something different. Along the way, I have acquired the L520, L925, L1520, and recently the L1020, for me and my family. So I know what WP has to offer.

Now to the main point: I am now not so sure that the best MS experience is being offered in WP. Android and iOS apps authored by Microsoft are worryingly better than for WP, and introduced earlier. Please see this: Microsoft?s Android and iOS focus leaves Windows users in the cold | The Verge

What Microsoft thinks it's doing? At least for me, I am intolerant to the feeling of being duped. As much as I love WP, I can quickly go back to Android through the Nexus devices and Lollipop.

WP10 man. The media is tricking you. Haven't you noticed that Facebook is now 90% feature filled. Skype qik now has the same features as the iOS and Android versions. Microsoft released garage apps. The only reason why it seems like your getting duped is because the apps are built in so they can only be updated to be separate from the os or updated at all with a major updated (windows10).

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
WP10 man. The media is tricking you. Haven't you noticed that Facebook is now 90% feature filled. Skype qik now has the same features as the iOS and Android versions. Microsoft released garage apps. The only reason why it seems like your getting duped is because the apps are built in so they can only be updated to be separate from the os or updated at all with a major updated (windows10).
Are those the only two you could list?

CliveSinclair

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft is somewhat to blame, as are developers. Developers and businesses alike will go with the largest customer base - iOS and Android. I have developed for both iOS and Android for clients. 3 of my larger clients moved to WP. Guess what, I quickly learnt to develop on WP. Luckily my clients allowed me a reasonable timeframe (6 months) to complete Apps for their WP's.

So yes, Microsoft will try and keep the largest number of customers happy first - as will small developers like me.

Personally I believe the only way to go truly cross platform is to drop OS based Apps completely.

Look on the bright side - we WP users are using iOS and Android users a beta testers ;-)

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I am the OP, and I am not a moaner. I have bought five different WP phones, dammit! I just want WP to be not just a "me, too" platform, but a credible alternative to the iOS/Android experiences.

If by raising the flag on the shortcomings of the WP platform you are criticizing me, then you make my point even more valid.

I get what you mean and by no means think you are moaning. Well, you are.... :) but these are things that have to be said. I've been on WP since 2010 and really love(d) the platform. While 8.1 brought a lot of new and needed features IMO it was also a step (huge) backward. I LOVED using the hubs rather than the apps. I loved my Me tile showing me all my comment replies, likes and RT. I loved being able to scan through the People Whats New and pop a quick like. When asked how someone was doing I would go to the PHOTOS section of their people hub and show off their photos. This is all gone and it (8 months later) still really bothers me.

These kind of things need to be vented and voiced to (help) steer the company in the direction and needs of it customers. Customers don't do it all and neither does MS. Its a give and take relationship. I mean, look at what WIn 10 9879 did to OneDrive. WTF?

Anyway. It was my turn to moan but its all good.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon