09-28-2017 05:54 PM
82 123 ...
tools
    These guys are ready to blow up. And about time too. I've been waiting for them to mature.

Sailfish OS and Sony Open Devices Program

Not just that, but look how they've bounced back from almost toppling over the edge. These ex-Nokia meego folks are tough. And if you've ever demoed Sailfish you know it could be the cat's meow. Gesture driven and well thought out. Love the "Live Covers" as well.

04-16-2017 12:52 PM
    This reminds me, I need to hurry up with that Sailfish 2 review but I've been swamped!

I'll figure something out.
    RumoredNow, libra89 and Guytronic like this.
    04-16-2017 03:27 PM
    This reminds me, I need to hurry up with that Sailfish 2 review but I've been swamped!

I'll figure something out.
    Pop a link in here when you get it nailed down. I'd like to see it, especially from a webOS refuge.

I loved it on my Nexus 4.
    libra89 likes this.
    04-16-2017 04:02 PM
    These guys are ready to blow up. And about time too. I've been waiting for them to mature.

Sailfish OS and Sony Open Devices Program

Not just that, but look how they've bounced back from almost toppling over the edge. These ex-Nokia meego folks are tough. And if you've ever demoed Sailfish you know it could be the cat's meow. Gesture driven and well thought out. Love the "Live Covers" as well.

Interesting.
    So it can use Android apps if you chose? If not, what will be available?
    No MS apps I presume?
    They say secure. Anyone know if this is true?

Sent from mTalk on my SP4
    04-16-2017 04:06 PM
    Interesting.
    So it can use Android apps if you chose? If not, what will be available?
    No MS apps I presume?
    They say secure. Anyone know if this is true?
    I want to look into how hard it has been targeted at hack-a-thons, but your run of the mill malware would have likely passed it by due to small user numbers thus far.

I'm encouraged by what I saw in the presentation (linked in the OP).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailfish_OS
    04-16-2017 04:18 PM
    I don't think I would take on an OS this raw, at least not as a daily driver. If it takes off and proves itself then I welcome it into the fold.

04-16-2017 04:31 PM
    I don't think I would take on an OS this raw, at least not as a daily driver. If it takes off and proves itself then I welcome it into the fold.

It's been around since before WP7 in some form.
    RumoredNow and Guytronic like this.
    04-16-2017 04:35 PM
    It's been around since before WP7 in some form.
    Right, but on how many devices? Is there a SailfishCentral forums where we can hear user reviews? 😉

04-16-2017 04:42 PM
    Right, but on how many devices? Is there a SailfishCentral forums where we can hear user reviews?

Check it out. www.jolla.com
    RumoredNow, Guytronic and libra89 like this.
    04-16-2017 04:52 PM
    Check it out. www.jolla.com
    Thanks. Will do.

RumoredNow likes this.
    04-16-2017 04:59 PM
    FWIW, this is the first Sony targeted for an official Sailfish ROM: Sony Xperia X - Full phone specifications

More Xperias to follow. I dig that crazy "Lime Gold."

sony-xperia-xa-1.jpg
    libra89, Guytronic and editguy like this.
    04-17-2017 08:18 AM
    FWIW, this is the first Sony targeted for an official Sailfish ROM: Sony Xperia X - Full phone specifications

More Xperias to follow. I dig that crazy "Lime Gold."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sony-xperia-xa-1.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	135071
    I love that color, I have almost considered pulling the trigger on it more than once lol.

I'm very curious about all of this though.
    RumoredNow and Guytronic like this.
    04-17-2017 08:51 AM
    I love that color, I have almost considered pulling the trigger on it more than once lol.

I'm very curious about all of this though.
    I'm trying to figure out if I need a North American variant or a world model. They have the same world ready radios and either would be at home here on the GSM/LTE networks.

I have a feeling the NA won't see the official Sailfish ROM as fast as the world model, if it sees it at all. Sailfish has pretty well stayed out of North America thus far.

@Player Piano might have a better opinion on this. Seems he is more up on current news than I am.
    libra89 likes this.
    04-17-2017 09:51 AM
    I'm trying to figure out if I need a North American variant or a world model. They have the same world ready radios and either would be at home here on the GSM/LTE networks.

I have a feeling the NA won't see the official Sailfish ROM as fast as the world model, if it sees it at all. Sailfish has pretty well stayed out of North America thus far.

@Player Piano might have a better opinion on this. Seems he is more up on current news than I am.
    Hmm, that's a great question. Interestingly enough, as you said, they have similar bands. At least this way, you should be just fine.

I agree with you about the world model probably getting this too.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    04-17-2017 10:04 AM
    If I buy an NA I get a warranty. Not so much for the world variant...

Although the number of times I've used a warranty for a phone is exactly 0.

giphy.gif
    Player Piano, libra89 and editguy like this.
    04-17-2017 10:10 AM

The NA variant is the same except that the fingerprint sensor is disabled. Anytime I buy a Sony phone I buy from clove and get a UK version. Plus clove claims to give a 2 year warranty even for international customers.
    libra89, RumoredNow and Nate W like this.
    04-17-2017 10:29 AM
    Right, but on how many devices? Is there a SailfishCentral forums where we can hear user reviews?

Here is a link to one of their forums:

https://together.jolla.com
    RumoredNow likes this.
    04-17-2017 01:15 PM
    I checked out the forums and it seems there are still a lot of issues with performance of the OS. If anyone jumps in please do let us know how it goes.

04-17-2017 03:34 PM
    Massive support for these guys. I've been following them since they started (under the name Sailfish). They've been quiet lately unfortunately, financial problems 'n' stuff, but they seem to be past that. Can't wait to see what they have to offer, though unfortunately it seems like they don't have much for now except for the looks (stunningly beautiful OS). OEM support is just getting started, and the whole vision is TBH stuck in 2010. I don't know if they're ready for the shift that's about the happen.
    RumoredNow and Player Piano like this.
    04-17-2017 06:41 PM
    Massive support for these guys. I've been following them since they started (under the name Sailfish). They've been quiet lately unfortunately, financial problems 'n' stuff, but they seem to be past that. Can't wait to see what they have to offer, though unfortunately it seems like they don't have much for now except for the looks (stunningly beautiful OS). OEM support is just getting started, and the whole vision is TBH stuck in 2010. I don't know if they're ready for the shift that's about the happen.
    That's what I'm wondering. If they're another Android, aren't they too late? Unless they have something Android doesn't offer. Seems like they're still a long way from there.
    Wouldn't mind playing around with one though if it didn't cost too much.

04-17-2017 06:47 PM
    No buttons to push. That sells it to me as a former webOS user. It's all gesture driven. I ran the 1.x version on my Nexus 4 and they have apparently streamlined it since.

Also the Live Covers which are half live tile, half widget and are reminiscent of webOS "Cards." They provide multitasking and interaction with all open apps which appear on your "home" screen.

These are big selling points for me. I'd rather swipe and gesture. I don't use many apps at once, but I do appreciate my information being surfaced. It really sort of melds my two favorite Mobile OS interfaces together: webOS gestures + WP live tiles.
    04-17-2017 07:35 PM
    Here's what I wonder - if sailfish can community open source writing drivers, such that this OS can run on a dozen phones....why can't windows do that?

Looks like a nice UI design sailfish. I wonder how it actually does at running android apps without play services...
    RumoredNow likes this.
    04-17-2017 08:18 PM
    Being a Linux fanboi, I love the idea of an OSS mobile device. I remember when Canonical announced the Ubuntu phone, then recently killed it.

If you want a (mostly) OSS device, get a stock android phone and install a custom ROM

Sent from mTalk
    04-17-2017 09:40 PM
    Being a Linux fanboi, I love the idea of an OSS mobile device. I remember when Canonical announced the Ubuntu phone, then recently killed it.

If you want a (mostly) OSS device, get a stock android phone and install a custom ROM

Sent from mTalk
    You could always just carry around your 386, in a backpack, with a battery pack....you'd just need a mobile router.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    04-17-2017 10:16 PM
    aww my poor dusty N9... was so excited for Meego... memories
    RumoredNow and Player Piano like this.
    04-18-2017 12:03 AM
82 123 ...