Latest Samsung Ativ S firmware updates

anon(8316658)

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Everything is turn off, only wi-fii is always on (i tried and with wi-fi off but only minutes is difference). All background app is also disable. I have installed Viber, Skype, Here Drive +, Ativ Clock, Now, Reading list, WPCentral, WPNews, Adobe Reader, Youtube HD, RapDialer, Remote for LG and two mail account ( manually check for gmail ). Thanks for advice but i know that nothing will help. Everything i make to have a good battery backup. Also i revert to GDR1, after that to GDR2 (in this a have 1day and some hour), but same thing. Boris know my battery problem.

I have wifi turned on all day and the battery dies quicker.. thats normal. The same goes to 3G net browsing.
Maybe one of your app is not optimalized for WP 8.1.1... you could try to uninstall everything and test your phone without them. Its always so easy to say that you have a faulty hardware.. but in 7 of 10 cases the problem is with the software not the hardware

maki01

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
I have wifi turned on all day and the battery dies quicker.. thats normal. The same goes to 3G net browsing.
Maybe one of your app is not optimalized for WP 8.1.1... you could try to uninstall everything and test your phone without them. Its always so easy to say that you have a faulty hardware.. but in 7 of 10 cases the problem is with the software not the hardware

Now i will charge and tonight i will make another hard reset, but i will not install any app, just to see how much time will show on 100% charged

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

I always disable ALL apps from running in the background unless they have a Live Tile on the Start Screen, the only exception is Cortana.

Rafael Sol Maker

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
The procedure in OP worked perfectly in dad's Ativ S, ZTO (Brasil, unbranded w/o carrier).

The battery drain is gone, I guess the camera bug too. Thanks!

Any news regarding the phone state I'll post here.

Macco26

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I make 1 soft reset and 2 hard resets,but same thing. Also i have a new battery but is the same thing of battery drain. Only first 2 months when i bought a Ativ have a good battery backup, after that a install DP and i charge my phone every 18 hours. One day i don't use a phone and put him in airplane mode and battery was empty for 1day and 5 hours. My usage is normal 20 min call, 1 time check for mail and 10 min surfing. With this official update is worst than DP.

Another thing to check (in addition to what neo said about the Battery Sense and the background activities for apps) is to check your email&account settings. Maybe some have been set to an automatic schedule for checking incoming emails. I've learnt that is not that good for batteries. I prefer setting Push for important email accounts, and less frequencies (like 2hrs) for the others. Or even manual for least important ones.
Just try to avoid the "automatic based on usage" schedule (can't remember the exact name MS put into it).

Alex Boom

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
My results are quite good and the steps easy. I had GDR3, since last April i think, with XEO csc. Since the only csc that would get the update was the ATO, i changed to it a couple of days ago. The update was found immediately.

FW: 2424.14.9.3

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I always disable ALL apps from running in the background unless they have a Live Tile on the Start Screen, the only exception is Cortana.
The only app i allowed in background is Weather View and it is set to update manually.
The other app i have allowed in background tasks is Insider (the best battery app ever, it has almost zero impact on battery, ram and system overall), all others have much bigger footprint and cause not big but significant battery draining.
Everything else is blocked.

Another thing to check (in addition to what neo said about the Battery Sense and the background activities for apps) is to check your email&account settings. Maybe some have been set to an automatic schedule for checking incoming emails. I've learnt that is not that good for batteries. I prefer setting Push for important email accounts, and less frequencies (like 2hrs) for the others. Or even manual for least important ones.
Just try to avoid the "automatic based on usage" schedule (can't remember the exact name MS put into it).

Ah yes, i knew i was forgetting something to tell people about battery draining, Thank you Macco26. Anyway, if you are not heavily depend on emails, the best settings for your email (if thats hotmail, outlook or live account) is to make Sync Options to check emails are: Download new content: daily, Download email from: the past 2 weeks. Do NOT set Download new content: as they arrived, unless you heavily depend on emails, cuz that is a major battery drainer.
For other email accounts like gmail yahoo, etc. set Download new content to Manually.
Again, thank you Macco26! :)

maki01

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
The only app i allowed in background is Weather View and it is set to update manually.
The other app i have allowed in background tasks is Insider (the best battery app ever, it has almost zero impact on battery, ram and system overall), all others have much bigger footprint and cause not big but significant battery draining.

Ah yes, i knew i was forgetting something to tell people about battery draining, Thank you Macco26. Anyway, if you are not heavily depend on emails, the best settings for your email (if thats hotmail, outlook or live account) is to make Sync Options to check emails are: Download new content: daily, Download email from: the past 2 weeks. Do NOT set Download new content: as they arrived, unless you heavily depend on emails, cuz that is a major battery drainer.
For other email accounts like gmail yahoo, etc. set Download new content to Manually.

Yes i wrote that my mail check is set to manual :)

Wallek

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, been following this thread since the beginning, but I have a couple of questions that I hope aren't too silly (or have been answered). In my diagnostic menu I have the option of ATO CSC as well as the default (BTU) and some others. As far as I understand, I can simply switch the CSC to ATO, hard reset, get the 8.1 update, hard reset again and everything's cool. But what I was wondering is whether doing this would delete my messaging APNs like I saw people say happened with the DP, or not (as it's the official Samsung update, just through a different region's CSC)?.

Also, once I have the 8.1 update is it necessary/wise to switch back to my default BTU CSC or keep it on ATO? Will switching back change the firmware and would there be any problems with keeping the ATO CSC?

megadragon998

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, been following this thread since the beginning, but I have a couple of questions that I hope aren't too silly (or have been answered). In my diagnostic menu I have the option of ATO CSC as well as the default (BTU) and some others. As far as I understand, I can simply switch the CSC to ATO, hard reset, get the 8.1 update, hard reset again and everything's cool. But what I was wondering is whether doing this would delete my messaging APNs like I saw people say happened with the DP, or not (as it's the official Samsung update, just through a different region's CSC)?.

Also, once I have the 8.1 update is it necessary/wise to switch back to my default BTU CSC or keep it on ATO? Will switching back change the firmware and would there be any problems with keeping the ATO CSC?
APN setting is now automated and it will be discovered as soon as you start 8.1 for the first time. You can keep ATO for getting updates faster, but if you really want to keep your original CSC you can do so with no harm. Hope i helped ;)

Luis_Oliveira

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
After every ROM flashing, a hard reset is A MUST! (maybe even 2 hard resets, one after another)
That has been since the glory days of Windows Mobile 6.x.x, it was and still is the same with Android and now with WP too.
Why is that, you may ask? Because after flashing a ROM (on any OS), first the flashing tool is wiping the partition where the OS is installed, and then it flashes the new ROM. During wiping the OS partition there are files left behind (or how we in ROM developing circles call them "leftovers"), that often can make system unstable during conflicts with newest files. This is where hard reset is coming in hand. It makes sure you "clean" the leftovers from the previous ROM. Usually 1 hard reset can do the job, but 2 hard resets one after another is a 100% aim and hit. :)
When i was flashing my WM6.5.x ROMs on my beloved Omnia i900 for testing, i always did 2 hard resets one after another. :)

Thanks for the advice! If the battery drain keeps on, I'll do a hard reset (but I'm sad because I'll lost the interop-unlock).

awandres

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
The procedure in OP worked perfectly in dad's Ativ S, ZTO (Brasil, unbranded w/o carrier).

The battery drain is gone, I guess the camera bug too. Thanks!

Any news regarding the phone state I'll post here.

Como vc fez? Eu flasheei 4 roms com o csc ATO. funciona o update, mas a minha operadora enlouquece mandando mensagem cada vez q o sinal muda.
Usando o meu original ZTO a operadora fica normal, mas os updates n?o chegam.

Me d? uma luz!! :D

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

My email is set to sync based on my usage as items arrive, which has less impact on battery life as it's classed as push email. That means that the email is pushed from the server to the device as opposed to checking manually or on a schedule which has to go out to the server to check.

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Como vc fez? Eu flasheei 4 roms com o csc ATO. funciona o update, mas a minha operadora enlouquece mandando mensagem cada vez q o sinal muda.
Usando o meu original ZTO a operadora fica normal, mas os updates n?o chegam.

Me d? uma luz!! :D
English please! :) Even tho ZTO is Brazil CSC, we are sharing information here on english. :)

Oversoul7

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Happy to say that I updated to the official wp 8.1 and did a hard reset. So far, things are looking good...i have yet to play around with the settings and stuff. Will now re download my apps. More later.

enm

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi to all. New here and glad i found this forum☺ . i went threw diagnostic to check my csc's and i have about 32 csc's none of them ATO😢 dont want to flash yet and hoping for the arrivel of update to other csc's soon ( i'm on ilo csc)

Macco26

May 8, 2013
Visit site
is to make Sync Options to check emails are: Download new content: daily, Download email from: the past 2 weeks. Do NOT set Download new content: as they arrived, unless you heavily depend on emails, cuz that is a major battery drainer.

Well, I didn't want to say *exactly* this... ^^ As neo said, mostly depend on the usage. Anectodically, if your email does not receive that many messages, Push can be better. Because your phone will remain in "hearing mode" forever and the server will contact it eventually just when needed.
I simply don't seem to believe that "based on my usage" is as like as anything else (timer or push), because I think a background agent will try to understand your pattern (based on your emails frequency). This task consumes MORE than its benefit IMHO.
Push, for important yet not too-crowded email address is a sweet spot.
PS: on my ATIV S the longest timing can be 2 hrs, then there is only Manual. Daily is not a choice.

But what I was wondering is whether doing this would delete my messaging APNs like I saw people say happened with the DP, or not (as it's the official Samsung update, just through a different region's CSC)?.

My DBT kept all the APNs (internet and MMS) upon switching to ATO (it showed me a list of Carriers during first setup phase). I kept ATO even after. Should you re-switch to your original CSC, nothing would change. The firmware can't be restored. Now the ROM has 8.1.1 and you'll keep it no matter you want it or not. ;) (unless another update from MS or flashing).

PS: yesterday, on idle, the ATIV S reset. Ugh. So definitely, among all the addressed issues of the ATIV S, something like that may have been MITIGATED by the new fw, but not stopped entirely. Maybe is the battery, dunno. Anyway I didn't report that to my wife. ^^ Will see when if ever she discover another out of the bloom reset...

xxxneoxxx

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
The spontanious reboot issue has been linked to a firmware 'feature' that was also present with Ativ's cousin, the galaxy SIII.. Basically, the reboot prevented an overheat of the radio chip/part of the phone when it is struggeling to get a cellphone signal. So u might just have had bad reception. Probably has nothing to do with this specific update. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon