Windows 10 for the Ativ S owners?

Dave Velo

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
1) I don't think hard reset will bring you back to previous version of OS, you have to go waaaay back to download mode and flash offical WP8 rom then get here....too much work to do

2) Yes I'm also wondering how those 3rd party ROM works and how deep they can dig into the OS and make it fit our hardware better :)

Thanks for the info Tien, I'll keep my phone on release preview and hope for the best. Another thing I've discovered with .103 build is that Cortana is deaf.

UPDATE! 14393.105 as been released. I would appear Cortana's hearing has been restored.

UPDATE2! Cortana voice recognition works for an indefinite period then breaks. At this point, I have no idea what breaks it but the only thing that will fix it is to reboot the phone. I suspect one of the applications allowed to use the microphone might be the culprit.

Last edited:

megadragon998

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the info Tien, I'll keep my phone on release preview and hope for the best. Another thing I've discovered with .103 build is that Cortana is deaf.
I also played with registry a bit and found out that Parental filter on edge is turning always on after a soft reset.

Sent from mTalk

megadragon998

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
USB transfer also stopped working for me. It says that it cannot install the driver on Windows. (Im using windows 10 x64). It works on linux oddly enough.

Driesb

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
You will have to restart your pc in recovery modus and somewhere choose the option: Allow unsigned drivers to install. I am on vacation now so I don't the exact steps. You may google for that. It has been described couple of times.

megadragon998

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
You will have to restart your pc in recovery modus and somewhere choose the option: Allow unsigned drivers to install. I am on vacation now so I don't the exact steps. You may google for that. It has been described couple of times.
I've already done that before and im not talking about the flashing driver. Im talking about the media transfer.

Sent from mTalk

ssx1000

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Anyone feel like our ativ got slower again with the new version 14393.178? Sometimes my homescreen seems to "crash" and reloads. Or it is just whatsapp beta which uses all ram? How do you feel about the update? Did you find any ativ specific changes?

Dave Velo

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Anyone feel like our ativ got slower again with the new version 14393.178? Sometimes my homescreen seems to "crash" and reloads. Or it is just whatsapp beta which uses all ram? How do you feel about the update? Did you find any ativ specific changes?

You mean 14393.187... right? Nothing so far. Will report back here if I notice anything different.

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
Updated to 14926.1000

proximity sensor issue still exist when using auto brightness, together with manual brightness seems failed to really change the level of screen brightness.

Cotana still deaf

I don't feel any change MSFT had done through the last few builds, not sure which direction they are heading nor what can we expect...

Dave Velo

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Updated to 14926.1000

proximity sensor issue still exist when using auto brightness, together with manual brightness seems failed to really change the level of screen brightness.

Cotana still deaf

I don't feel any change MSFT had done through the last few builds, not sure which direction they are heading nor what can we expect...

I'm at 14393.189. Cortana still acting strange. Voice recognition works after fresh reboot but eventually breaks.

dan16

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
Difficult to say, it depends on what kind of user you are. With 8.1 you have the main camera app working fine, and the haptic feedback as well, so full hardware compatibility. In Windows 10.0.10586(.585 for example) you gain a better graphics, a much wider software functionality and a deeper ecosystem integration, but you loose the two previous features. The stability is almost as good as in wp8.1, the main problem is a significant battery drain. This is completely fixed in the remarkable AU update (14393.67) which has also a boost in performance, as long as pleasant improvements in the notification center. The ativ-specific shortcomings, I experienced with this version, were APN and ringtone loss on every reboot (obviously IF you reboot it) and the broken auto-brightness. For me, the last 14393.189 update fixed the ringtone and made the brightness toggle more solid. You just should ensure you use the slider if you have to reduce the brightness. If you forget that and the screen goes black, remind that the touch panel still waits for your tap. It's not a big deal: only 2 manual adjustments a day for me. Moreover, this version seams to fix some occasional problems from the 3rd party camera apps I use, the correct saving of photos in particular.
So what's my conclusion? I much prefer this last build, as I appreciate mostly the fluid ecosystem and the battery life. The camera360sight app is ultimately good, while I easily get used to the mentioned firmware bugs and their workarounds.
What is the best version of W10M to Ativ S so far? Stability, errors , etc.

rbraga79

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
Difficult to say, it depends on what kind of user you are. With 8.1 you have the main camera app working fine, and the haptic feedback as well, so full hardware compatibility. In Windows 10.0.10586(.585 for example) you gain a better graphics, a much wider software functionality and a deeper ecosystem integration, but you loose the two previous features. The stability is almost as good as in wp8.1, the main problem is a significant battery drain. This is completely fixed in the remarkable AU update (14393.67) which has also a boost in performance, as long as pleasant improvements in the notification center. The ativ-specific shortcomings, I experienced with this version, were APN and ringtone loss on every reboot (obviously IF you reboot it) and the broken auto-brightness. For me, the last 14393.189 update fixed the ringtone and made the brightness toggle more solid. You just should ensure you use the slider if you have to reduce the brightness. If you forget that and the screen goes black, remind that the touch panel still waits for your tap. It's not a big deal: only 2 manual adjustments a day for me. Moreover, this version seams to fix some occasional problems from the 3rd party camera apps I use, the correct saving of photos in particular.
So what's my conclusion? I much prefer this last build, as I appreciate mostly the fluid ecosystem and the battery life. The camera360sight app is ultimately good, while I easily get used to the mentioned firmware bugs and their workarounds.

Thank you very much. You helped me a lot. I'll try the build 14393.189.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes