Windows 10 on Ativ SE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Do you recommend this over 10586.164 ?

Yes! Scrolling is much smoother. I'm happy I took the jump up...there were a ton of app updates after I completed the install. It takes time but it's worth it. MMS is better too.

Update: terrible battery drain; i don't think it's the phone. I switched my SIM and SD cards back into my stock Lumia 830; updated to the same 14291 build, updated all my apps, and in 20 minutes, my battery drained from a full 100% down to 65%....i think it's the OS, not the Ativ SE...2 hours later, under normal use, i'm down to 35%...

Last edited:

Mike Jain

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Update - DO NOT try a hard reset. You don't get an option to sign into a Microsoft account, and that means you cannot install new apps from the Store. Updation of pre-installed apps is allowed.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Hmmm . . . I doubt there would be app updates available if you update from .164, more likely if you do a hard reset after updating.
Will write about it if I go for it :)

I'm running 14291.1001 and i've gotten a ton of updates yesterday and today; all the office apps updated; Outlook Mail and Calendar updated; no problem with updates....

Kevin Houle1

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
So long folks. Heading to grab an android phone. I gotta say, the ativ se was an amazing phone, but the OS situation is questionable. Unfortunately amazing hardware, and a great forum to come to with great people isn't enough to keep me on windows phone anymore. Hope everything works out for you guys in the end.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
View attachment 124086

So far so good with this build. Scrolling on start screen (and for apps) is much better in this build than in the previous. Outlook Mail was initially messed up, but just got an update and it's fine now. Got my MMS working. Very happy with this so far...

Update: Lock Screen background/Bing Image does not work....
Also: SIM/Service seems to take a long time to engage, and seems to drop a lot...

What device name/model reg edit did you make, was it Microsoft MDG? Thanks.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
What device name/model reg edit did you make, was it Microsoft MDG? Thanks.

Lumia 950
HKLM\SYSTEM\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo
"PhoneManufacturer"="MicrosoftMDG"
"PhoneManufacturerModelName"="RM-1104_1078"

This version is running super HOT! Major battery drain; terrible; it's not exactly the same chipset as the Nokia 927; maybe that's the problem. I've gone back to my other phone, set up as a 'NOKIA' 'RM-927'; i'm on the insider Slow Ring, running 10586.107; much better! No battery drain, super cool.

Updates pushed me to 10586.164; phone runs awesome! Been having almost daily updates of MS apps; Outlook Mail Settings seems to be up and down; everything else is super...

Last edited:

jobinthomas

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I guess it's goodbye for me in regards to ATIV SE. I had terrible signal with it on Tmobile. I'd get LTE but there would be no data connection and I had to keep rebooting the phone a couple times for it to get a data connection. Not super great when you're in Vegas and trying to share some pics. Returned the ATIV SE and went back to my Lumia 640. Quite a shame because the ATIV SE ran like a dream compared to my 640.

boyknit

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
Update - DO NOT try a hard reset. You don't get an option to sign into a Microsoft account, and that means you cannot install new apps from the Store. Updation of pre-installed apps is allowed.

Unfortunately I already done.Is there some way to fix this bug or I have to wait a next update?

Williaml99

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Go back to 8.1 and start over. I had the same problem. I have 8.11 on one SE and the .164 Icon version on the other. I personally think that is good as it is going to get. If the Icon gets an official update maybe something there. This has been a fun thread to be part of. I think I am at the end of this experiment. I truly appreciate the guide from the OP and a great friendly group of experimenters. I wish Microsoft appreciated how enthusiastic this group is to participate in the Windows 10 Mobile experience. For me, I have not had a contract for a long time. I noticed That AT&T is trying to improve signal in this area. I bought a 950XL on Amazon and going to try AT&T for a couple of months. If the carrier works out great. I not I still have family share plan (4 lines) on Verizon. Unless something new in Windows Phone comes out for Verizon I will have to change platforms. Best of luck.

Bill

Udemzy

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys, I currently use a 925 and an ativ s. But the SD card option has me using the ativ s more. I currently want to buy an Ativ SE over a 930 and 1520. So I can upgrade to windows 10. So I will like to know how the phone performs on windows 10. How is the battery life? How is the performance? is it ok for a daily driver? How does it compare to wp8.1 performance? Am typing this with my moms 1520 and I want something more compact?

Williaml99

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys, I currently use a 925 and an ativ s. But the SD card option has me using the ativ s more. I currently want to buy an Ativ SE over a 930 and 1520. So I can upgrade to windows 10. So I will like to know how the phone performs on windows 10. How is the battery life? How is the performance? is it ok for a daily driver? How does it compare to wp8.1 performance? Am typing this with my moms 1520 and I want something more compact?

The overall experience was not bad but I did have freeze and could not make a phone call. I know that can happen on any phone but if you have health issues or for any emergency issue you might foresee, then you might want to go with a OS that is actually supported for you hardware. Don't mean to be so dark but it is worth thinking about.

Bill

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site

I'm running 10586.164 on the slow ring, and it's excellent! Runs cool, no battery drain. Glance screen doesn't work, and a few other bugs, but i can use this as my main driver, and am very happy with it!

Udemzy

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys, now in search of an ativ se... Using a friends 830, its a very decent phone love the build quality... I have never held an ativ se but I hope it feels as good as this or even better. Also in performance.
I see someone talking about glance screen, is that not a Nokia only feature on windows or does windows 10 enables that for every one else... Also does double tap to wake work on the ativ se. This little things makes me see the 830 as a viable option. What do you guys think?

vicu9mx

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm running 10586.164 on the slow ring, and it's excellent! Runs cool, no battery drain. Glance screen doesn't work, and a few other bugs, but i can use this as my main driver, and am very happy with it!

Mine too, works good with .164 as you says with some glitches with sending sms, but ok
Now i'm on .218 and cellular data is disconnecting turning on airplane and off not works neither setting the network manually, can't receive sms and some calls, data usage doesn't works as supposed, maybe i should go back to 8.1

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Mine too, works good with .164 as you says with some glitches with sending sms, but ok
Now i'm on .218 and cellular data is disconnecting turning on airplane and off not works neither setting the network manually, can't receive sms and some calls, data usage doesn't works as supposed, maybe i should go back to 8.1

wp_ss_20160412_0002.jpg

I've been running .218 for about a week; so far, so good!

AbitoMAX

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
I was also successful with this today. Very pleased! Go team!

I have Ativ SE. I'm going to keep this powerhouse phone forever. I've had them all from the 920 to the Icon.

Just for the principle I'll be pushing daisies up with this phone.

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME PUT WINDOWS 10 ON IT.

I'LL SERIOUSLY DO ANYTHING LOL.

I've looked at this post many times and others but I can't find the files required to download. Links are all dead.

If I have to buy another phone like the 830 I'm going to Apple and I don't want to. I'd rather shove a wooden spoon down my throat.
My Ativ SE rocks. Design, specs, etc.

SOS.

Sincerely,

Diehard stupid Windows phone user...

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I have Ativ SE. I'm going to keep this powerhouse phone forever. I've had them all from the 920 to the Icon.

I've looked at this post many times and others but I can't find the files required to download. Links are all dead.

If I have to buy another phone like the 830 I'm going to Apple and I don't want to. I'd rather shove a wooden spoon down my throat.

SOS.

Sincerely,

Try this: http://forums.windowscentral.com/sa...rading-samsung-ativ-se-windows-10-mobile.html

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Originally posted by AbitoMAX
Originally Posted by Brad Herr
I was also successful with this today. Very pleased! Go team!

SOS.

Sincerely,

I have installed W10M 1511 on my ATIV SE many times and currently I have Redstone on it. Honestly Redstone runs really well, cleaner and of course newer. I like it better. I do not use this phone at all except around the house. You can also reset this phone back to WP8.0 when needed as long as you do not screw up the Firmware.

XDA developers and Windows Central has been a great tool for me, so if you search for the below items it will be pretty simple to get accomplished. I am not going to repost or reinvent the wheel on the directions to use, so reference other links in this article for that.

Tools Used for the upgrade to W10M Threshold 2 and downgrade back to WP8.0:

CustomWPSystem_0500.xap
CustomPFD_0003.xap
Preview for developers installed on the SD Card
WP8_Binary_Downloader_Ver._3.54.exe
SM-W750V VRU0ANC2_R_signed.wp8
SM-W750V_VRU0ANC2_R.csc

--Tool used to upgrade to Redstone if you lose the Registry editor while on Threshold 2 EDIT/UPDATE:(when I reset my Ativ SE on the redstone build it boot looped, but it was do to me replacing the sim card/sd card reader then resetting it. I have since reinstalled WP8 and upgraded again to W10M build 1607 and reset the Ativ SE and no issues).--
InteropTools App

In a nutshell to upgrade to W10M Threshold 2 you just need to be able to initiate and change the Manufacturer to NOKIA the Model to RM-927 (which is preferred).

To upgrade to W10M Redstone you just need to be able to initiate and change the Manufacturer to Microsoft the Model to RM-1118 (which is what I used) or any other X50 device model name EDIT/UPDATE:(when I reset my Ativ SE on the redstone build it boot looped, but it was do to me replacing the sim card/sd card reader then resetting it. I have since reinstalled WP8 and upgraded again to W10M build 1607 and reset the Ativ SE and no issues).

Last edited:

artreid44

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Exactly how do I change (the Manufacturer to Microsoft and the Model to RM-1118)?
I have no technical knowledge/ability to accomplish this? Is there someplace I can send the phone for this service?

Thnkx,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital