The Complete Guide: Upgrading the Samsung Ativ SE to Windows 10 Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
I was suggesting the 1520 because it is much likelier to get any firmware or radio stack updates over the Microsoft route than the Icon ever is.

Also, so if I'm getting this right. SD storage configuration and values has nothing to do with the device ID then, yes Jeemo?
-- W

If the provisioning changes are SIM-dependent, they would be updating the information on the SIM itself, meaning the device itself is not a factor (which also means that it wouldn't matter at all what your DeviceTargetingInfo values are, I believe); in this case it would be a global rollout to all activated SIMs, regardless of the phone. Still, you make a very excellent point in mentioning that the 1520 is more likely to get FW updates from MS than the Icon getting a FW update from Verizon. I'll try to keep my eyes open on information for both phones, and update here as necessary. If you stumble upon related info, let me know please. Also, your last assumption is correct; SD storage configuration is based on different registry entries than DeviceTargetingInfo.

I'm having a big problem under the latest Redstone build (14361) - The charging port isn't working. I don't know if it is hardware related or build related. My computer still sees the phone but no charging is happening.

UPDATE: My battery is draining extremely quick. I think I might have to start over, again.

UPDATE 2: I reset my phone back to 8.0 and charging port works once again. It looks like, for me, I lost the ability to charge my battery when I went to 14361.

- RW

This happened to me on 14356 once, but not 14361. I was able to resolve it with a soft reset, but a battery pull might work as well. Also, sometimes it charges for me even though the LED notification light is not on. Next time this happens to you, take note of the applications that are running, because it's possible that the application is causing the issue. You can force-quit apps and services using Device Diagnostics HUB, or the built-in developer page (turn on Device Portal and connect to the URL it lists from a different computer). Also, if you have this issue and you NEED to charge it before you are able to do a hard reset (assuming the other fixes do not work), you can turn on the phone while holding the Vol. Up key (without the Home key), and it should display a lightning bolt, which is an environment for charging the device before the OS loads. It's a Qualcomm utility and should work on any Qualcomm device.

Is there any way to install WP on any Android device tab/phone ???
if is it possible then guide me

There is no guide currently for doing this on a phone that doesn't officially support it (the Mi4 does), but people are working on understanding how it works. Long story short, if the Bootloader is unlocked and you are able to preserve the partitions that are necesarry for the Linux bootchain, you can get Win10 running on it. If you want to keep an eye on news/updates/research regarding this, here is a thread with advanced information:

Full analysis of Xiaomi Mi4 Windows Mobile 1?€? | Windows 10 Development and Hacking

Last edited:

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
420. Are they planning to get high on the WM10 love finally bruh? :O :D

-- W

I don't know, but I do know one thing; I haven't charged my battery since I updated it yesterday morning and it says I still have 2 days 18 hours or 65% battery life left. I've only used it moderately (a few texts and opening a couple apps) but this build is starting to impress me a little. We'll see how long it lasts.

- RW

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
I might buy another ATIV SE. That way I have one I know will be stable with 10586.xxx and another I can play around with Redstone. Besides, I dropped my current phone and dinged it a little, broke the case I have it in too. So, my thought is get a new one, use it for my daily driver on 10586 and use my current one for updating and testing Redstone or beyond.

- RW

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
I don't know, but I do know one thing; I haven't charged my battery since I updated it yesterday morning and it says I still have 2 days 18 hours or 65% battery life left. I've only used it moderately (a few texts and opening a couple apps) but this build is starting to impress me a little. We'll see how long it lasts.

- RW

I might buy another ATIV SE. That way I have one I know will be stable with 10586.xxx and another I can play around with Redstone. Besides, I dropped my current phone and dinged it a little, broke the case I have it in too. So, my thought is get a new one, use it for my daily driver on 10586 and use my current one for updating and testing Redstone or beyond.

- RW

Wow that's pretty impressive news about the battery life! And getting a second phone for testing is a great idea! My second phone right now is a Galaxy S4 (sorry xD) and I occasionally put my SIM in it when necessary (but it's usually in my Redstone SE), however I would love to have a second one so I could keep my SIM in the 10586 phone and continue researching Redstone. I looked into it last week actually, and the prices aren't too bad, especially if I don't care about aesthetics.

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Wow that's pretty impressive news about the battery life! And getting a second phone for testing is a great idea! My second phone right now is a Galaxy S4 (sorry xD) and I occasionally put my SIM in it when necessary (but it's usually in my Redstone SE), however I would love to have a second one so I could keep my SIM in the 10586 phone and continue researching Redstone. I looked into it last week actually, and the prices aren't too bad, especially if I don't care about aesthetics.

Well, the wife is making me wait a little bit before I buy the second SE. Oh, well, she does the bills...lol. At least it wasn't "You don't need a second one"....lol.

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Thank God for wives that understand. :p

And on that note, eBay has a bunch from a seller that claims to be selling them in mint, for around 75-ish a pop. Dont know how true that is. I got my goodies off of Camaroz here. And its brand spanking new, almost. Sans some cosmetics. Thank God for his waifu too. :3 ^~^ She kept it like a baby! :D

-- W

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Woah, we've really come back to life here. :) I'm liking this new infusion of life alright. :)

And thank you for that excellent update on the battery life Darrell. And for the new Threshold tutorial Jeemo. :) Though I do have a question for Jeemo here. I know I've asked this before. But why the Icon and not the 1520? The 1520 has expandable storage. Otherwise. All three phones are borderline identical. Same radio stacks on the right variants too. No?

And Rmabwing, bro. A new upgrade guide would be mighty useful too man. Since we have one for jumping onto Redstone, a clear and and concisely done guide with the right files and steps for the non-adventurous would be nice. For the people willing to live on the Release Previews. ^_^

And Fred, the ATIV S sub-forum is alive and active with a whole bunch of people running threads on just that. Make sure to check those out too. Our ATIV SE threads here are actually offshoots from the fruits of those in the ATIV S forums. :)

-- W

wp_ss_20160618_0001.jpg
Got this update a few days ago. Quite happy with it! Still - i get the odd random restart; my camera sometimes freezes; every once in a while, the phone runs super hot; even with everything closed off, it seems like something is still running in the background. I restart, and then is settles down again. Very happy with this awesome phone!

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Hey all, haven't been on in a few days but I'm still here. I figured I should leave feedback on .420 so here goes. Battery life is great still; it lasts for more than two days (in theory anyway). The phone does not get hot except if I leave it in my back pocket for an extended period of time. Stability is great; haven't had any crashes, hangups, or reboots. There is one thing I can't seem to find anymore (maybe been this way for a while but haven't looked for it) is how to make the start tiles transparent; if anyone knows, please share.

- RW

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
I thought transparent tiles was a feature of WM10. Or maybe I've never used it on WP8, thats why. Also, on that note RW, the Icon is getting the official update for all us pretend Icon folks. Does that spell good news for us too. Just wondering here man. :D

-- W

Sabir Nadaf

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
I thought transparent tiles was a feature of WM10. Or maybe I've never used it on WP8, thats why. Also, on that note RW, the Icon is getting the official update for all us pretend Icon folks. Does that spell good news for us too. Just wondering here man. :D

-- W

I prefer someone to roll back to 8.1 and change registry to icon and see whether it gets the update.

Sabir Nadaf

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
Hey all, haven't been on in a few days but I'm still here. I figured I should leave feedback on .420 so here goes. Battery life is great still; it lasts for more than two days (in theory anyway). The phone does not get hot except if I leave it in my back pocket for an extended period of time. Stability is great; haven't had any crashes, hangups, or reboots. There is one thing I can't seem to find anymore (maybe been this way for a while but haven't looked for it) is how to make the start tiles transparent; if anyone knows, please share.

- RW

Settings- personalization- start- tiles transparency slider. I have it there.

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Settings- personalization- start- tiles transparency slider. I have it there.

Thank you Sabir. I missed the fact I have to have a background picture. I had mine as no background so the slider was not there. I picked a background and the slider showed up. Thanks again.

- RW

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site

-- W

See my comment to Sabir above. I haven't officially looked into this but I would think that because we changed our phones to the ICON and due to the fact the ICON is getting the official update, our phones should get the update. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

- RW

Sabir Nadaf

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
See my comment to Sabir above. I haven't officially looked into this but I would think that because we changed our phones to the ICON and due to the fact the ICON is getting the official update, our phones should get the update. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

- RW
Anyone who has ativ se as backup please check if they get update by rolling back to 8.1 and editing registry.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site

- RW

does anyone have trouble recharging? For some reason, there are times when i'm recharging, and nothing happens. Half an hour later, i'm still stuck at the same 7%. Don't think it's my charger (i've rotated through 3 different ones); i've tried two batteries; sometimes when i plug in, i don't see or hear the normal 'sound/icon' indicating that i'm plugged in. Just wondering....is it the phone? The OS? what....

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
My ATIV SE has a finicky port too, sometimes I have to plug it in a second or a third time, to get it to talk back to the Charger. Have you considered the possibility of it being the port Darrel?

-- W

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss