" Started by Windows Central "......... who are they ?

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
There are many threads without the usernames.
They are under the name : Started by Windows Central.

Who are those people ?

More often than not, the question posted does not have enough info.
If we ask for more info, do those people ever come back and provide the needed info ?
I have not seen one thread where the anonymous OP came back and replied.

I have a feeling answering those threads is a waste of time.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: " Started by Windows Central "......... who are tthey ?

That forum section is from the editorial staff that link back to articles on the front page.
They post here in the forums so that users not wanting to get into the blog comments can discuss the title subject under threads posted here in the forum.
Pretty much just a different option for us members that don't check the WC front page articles.

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site

That forum section is from the editorial staff that link back to articles on the front page.
They post here in the forums so that users not wanting to get into the blog comments can discuss the title subject under threads posted here in the forum.
Pretty much just a different option for us members that don't check the WC front page articles.

I am still trying to find my way in Windows central.

Where is that "front page" are you referring to ?

Thank you.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site

When you go to windowscentral.com they have articles on the page.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I've moved your thread to the Site Feedback & Help forum, since it's directly related to the setup of the website.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

There are many threads without the usernames.
They are under the name : Started by Windows Central.

Who are those people ?

More often than not, the question posted does not have enough info.
If we ask for more info, do those people ever come back and provide the needed info ?
I have not seen one thread where the anonymous OP came back and replied.

I have a feeling answering those threads is a waste of time.

Do you mainly see this in the Ask a Question forum?

In that forum unregistered guests may ask questions and hopefully our members answer. Then perhaps a best answer gets marked for future users searching that topic in our Q&A area. We actually have a team that works to answer such questions. Although regular members answer these questions as well.

Unregistered guests (or members not logged in) may only post in Ask a Question. Later those threads may actually be moved, so they can potentially appear in any forum and usually the one most pertinent to the question asked. However AaQ is the place where they show most often.

When an unregistered guest or member not logged in posts to AaQ, it looks like this:
001.PNG002.PNG

Is this what you are seeing?

You are right, quite often more information is needed from the OP in order to help solve their issue. The problem there is that unregistered guests cannot see a reply button. You may then observe a member asking them to join so they can reply. Many don't join so they go unsolved due to lack of specificity in the original question.

When I work AaQ I ask for details needed by name and enumerate them. I then post the following:
If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

Answering these questions is far from pointless. We create a searchable database of questions and answers for our Q&A section, best answer threads can get moved to the most relevant forum and help build a knowledge base there and sometimes we even get unregistered guests converted to membership. Most importantly we all, members and guests, get to learn and increase our knowledge and skills. There is often frustration in working AaQ because the requests are vague or nonsensical. But there is also as much satisfaction researching the answers and knowing you've helped someone (or at least tried to). Sometimes the guests joins just to thank you for helping them and that is fantastic.

I hope I helped you and I had fun doing so.

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
The screenshot you posted is what I saw.

When I said "...... it's a waste of time", I was referring to non-response from whoever posted the question.

So, I asked for more info or clarification and got no response, that's why I felt it was a waste of time.

Of course, if the question is clear and I know the answer, I will reply.

Thank you.

P.S. Off-topic comment : Seems to me Windows Central is leaning more Mobile oriented than PC.
Unfortunately I don't own a Windows Phone and what I know about Windows 10 PC can hardly be applied to Mobile.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
P.S. Off-topic comment : Seems to me Windows Central is leaning more Mobile oriented than PC.
Unfortunately I don't own a Windows Phone and what I know about Windows 10 PC can hardly be applied to Mobile.

This site used to be Pocket PC Central, then it covered Windows Mobile, then Windows Phone and only recently changed name again from Windows Phone Central to Windows Central.

We are trying to expand Windows, Xbox and all things Microsoft coverage on the Blog and the Forum. However, a lot of long time users are still coming from a Windows Phone and W10M perspective.

That's not to say that PC experience is not welcomed. Have at it and rest assured there are still many expert users around to help with Mobile/Phone questions.

Thanks for taking an interest and helping in Ask a Question.

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
To : RumoredNow

RE : An off-topic comment on Featured Forums

See the screenshot below.
Would you agree that on the right side, the reply dated 2015 gives an impression that it is the most recent reply ?
That does not work well with the "Featured" title, does it ?

Features forums.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes