Smartwatches that are compatible with Windows Phone?

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Hate to be a party crasher but, what is so fascinating about a smartwatch? Answer calls and SMS, really? I can't see a full qwerty on a device that small so what's it going to be, a T9? Isn't that the reason we moved away from flip phones, to enjoy larger screens, full keyboards?

I think it would be cool to look like **** Tracy, but only for a minute.

edit: Wow, the censors didn't like Richard's name.

The idea of a smartwatch is for notifications and controlling the phone; so that you can be more subtle with them. If your phone is on silent and you get a message, you can quickly look at your watch instead of your phone (and being rude to say a date, in class or in a movie cinema or something); if you get a call you can keep your phone on silent (and save the embarrassingly loud ringtone) and decline easily from your watch. If you're listening to music (this is probably what I would find the most useful) you can also have controls over your music on your watch instead of having to pull out your phone every time. I'd agree with you and say that having a qwerty on a watch is a bit silly, but what I've said above is what I see a smartwatch for anyways

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The idea of a smartwatch is for notifications and controlling the phone; so that you can be more subtle with them. If your phone is on silent and you get a message, you can quickly look at your watch instead of your phone (and being rude to say a date, in class or in a movie cinema or something); if you get a call you can keep your phone on silent (and save the embarrassingly loud ringtone) and decline easily from your watch. If you're listening to music (this is probably what I would find the most useful) you can also have controls over your music on your watch instead of having to pull out your phone every time. I'd agree with you and say that having a qwerty on a watch is a bit silly, but what I've said above is what I see a smartwatch for anyways

Fair enough. I appreciate a well-thought answer free of snarky remarks. Notifications are sorely lacking in WP and you make a solid point, that would be worth the price of admission for me.

badplanet

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
As crazy as it sounds I have seen smart watches running Android that have full touch keyboards on them. Personally I don't even like typing on a smart phone to reply to emails. If it is something that can wait I just get to it later on a PC or tablet.

That brings up a big issue with the debate of whether a smart watch should be stand alone or a companion to a smart phone. If your smart watch is stand alone where it replaces your phone for calls, SMS and email you have to figure out how you reply to SMS, emails and dial the phone. Voice is the obvious answer but is voice good enough to completely replace typing. What about in a meeting, movie or other location where you would want to reply but not make a sound.

What about the cost of the sim in a stand alone watch. It you still have a smart phone then you are either paying monthly charges for 2 lines or are swapping the sim. Sims and sim trays/doors are very delicate and some times require removal of the phones battery. How often would you leave your phone at home when going out.

I think the best use case for a stand alone smart watch is for running or a similar activity where a smart phone would be a hindrance. In theory if 2 lines were affordable this would be the best option.

Personally I like the smart watch as a companion device. Getting notifications with a vibration works great and is almost is never inappropriate such as in a business meeting or theater. Controlling you phones music or radio is a great convenience that I would quickly miss. It also seems that companion smart watches like the Pebble will have better battery life and cost far less.

Just my thoughts...

Last edited:

LumiaIcon

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
So other than the Kreyos and a limited feature Pebble, we are out of luck on WP right? Basically I browsed around looking to buy something and came away with... You can't.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
So other than the Kreyos and a limited feature Pebble, we are out of luck on WP right? Basically I browsed around looking to buy something and came away with... You can't.
From what I've seen, yeah that's pretty much it. Peeved off about it as the one I was considering (the Razer Nabu) doesn't support WP and they've clearly said they have no current plans to support WP. For a company that makes gaming peripherals for PC/Xbox... Double standards much?

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
From what I've seen, yeah that's pretty much it. Peeved off about it as the one I was considering (the Razer Nabu) doesn't support WP and they've clearly said they have no current plans to support WP. For a company that makes gaming peripherals for PC/Xbox... Double standards much?

This rreally irks me. I was interested in that one as well. I'll just take my business elsewhere. I'm done with razer products.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
This rreally irks me. I was interested in that one as well. I'll just take my business elsewhere. I'm done with razer products.

Aye, I'm gonna wait for them to release for WP I think. My Razer products all work nicely in tandem (Naga Epic, DeathStalker Ult, Orbweaver), so this would have been a nice addition. But unless you release for WP Razer, you won't be able to get my money. Especially since I'm getting rid of my HTC Flyer for a Surface Mini when it releases.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

Exactly. This was one of the only smartwatches I was considering...

Sent from my iPad using WPCentral Forums

Shai Petel

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Whats the big mystery or problem about call / SMS intercept?

My Bluetooth car speaker announces SMS and calls when they come in.

If they have BT support, and you set your phone to read SMS texts when using BT / headset - they should have no problems supporting exactly what they show in the video.

Remember, they have a speaker and a mic, so for incoming SMS they can use the speaker to announce and read the SMS and ask you to reply.

They can also use voice control via BT and their microphone.

All that can be done in Windows Phone 8, they don't even have to wait to 8.1 - and with 8.1 even Cortana will be exposed.

I know one thing: if and when I am getting a smart watch, it will be one with speaker and mic so I can actually use voice control to answer SMS, send emails, set reminders - and use Cortana!!!

Just my 2 cents...

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

If they have BT support, and you set your phone to read SMS texts when using BT / headset - they should have no problems supporting exactly what they show in the video.

Remember, they have a speaker and a mic, so for incoming SMS they can use the speaker to announce and read the SMS and ask you to reply.

They can also use voice control via BT and their microphone.

All that can be done in Windows Phone 8, they don't even have to wait to 8.1 - and with 8.1 even Cortana will be exposed.

I know one thing: if and when I am getting a smart watch, it will be one with speaker and mic so I can actually use voice control to answer SMS, send emails, set reminders - and use Cortana!!!

Just my 2 cents...

It's the advanced features of the smartwatch such as the social features of the Razer Nabu, that we won't be able to get on Windows Phone. That's why we're complaining.

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
hi guys,
from Kreyos here. the Meteor was built to be WP8 compatible. should be available on launch of the Meteor.
thanks!

They can't even create a video with the watch working with WP. Did you see their Facebook page, a lot of people are pissed off right now with all the lies and delays. One day they are on track and say the watch will be shipped in April then the next day they come out with an email saying that they are waiting for the speaker part to arrive so they can continue the builds....

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
They can't even create a video with the watch working with WP. Did you see their Facebook page, a lot of people are pissed off right now with all the lies and delays. One day they are on track and say the watch will be shipped in April then the next day they come out with an email saying that they are waiting for the speaker part to arrive so they can continue the builds....

Sounds like a huge serving of incompetency.

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site

And what if I want to READ the text of the SMS on my Pebble? To me, the value of a smartwatch is in quickly and discreetly checking notifications while in meetings or at dinner or whatever. I may not be able to read the whole thing but definitely enough to know if it's something that needs immediate action or if it can wait.

And calls/SMS aren't the only notifications, by the way. In fact I'd say that for me, those are the LEAST important issues. Far more important to me are email notifications and from third party apps like Whatsapp, BBM and Facebook Messenger. Android and iOS allow applications to register as Accessibility Services and thus get access to the complete text of that notification, regardless of what app generated that notification. The Pebble Notifier app does this and allows me to send notifications from any app to my watch. That, to me, is valuable, and is also not supported by the WP8.1 APIs.

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site

Considering this is a funded project like Pebble there's going to be delays. You must forgotten how long it took for Pebble to get watches it to backers. What else would you expect. Did you back them?

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I like the concept behind Kreyos. However it's hard for me to wear non fashion watches. The metal version Moto 360 is absolutely the best looking watch that grabs my attention and the metal Pebbles. I'm gonna order one of the Kreyos after seeing it in action with WP first, but I will be excited for a color screen akin to Android Wear. Only then will I fully divulge in smart wearables. But I'm not going back to Android for that. 8.1 was the nail on the coffin for me returning.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb